Sponsored

2018 GT 6MT Grinding Noise When Releasing the Clutch

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
If you feather less, the grinding won't be as bad. If you practically start dumping the clutch every time you shift, you'll barely notice it. I think the grinding comes down to build quality. There are plenty of 18/19s which don't grind regardless of how much you feather. Also, the GT350 has a twin disk clutch and I've never seen anyone mention anything about grinding when shifting.

Just watch the video below at 5:30.
He didn't like the car. Saying a 700HP 911 or Vette feels faster. Of course they have more available torque. The supercharged mustang feels' NA as far as power delivery is concerned and it has to be revved out. If you turbo a mustang it will be faster or as fast feeling as a 911 or vette. Luckily my GT doesn't grind but not a great transmission. I debated getting a camaro simply because they come with a tremec just don't like the way the camaro looks (if it had an interior that lookedlike from this decade I would have considered it. The best manual car I have ever driven has to be a s2000 transmission.
Sponsored

anyjuan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If you feather less, the grinding won't be as bad. If you practically start dumping the clutch every time you shift, you'll barely notice it. I think the grinding comes down to build quality. There are plenty of 18/19s which don't grind regardless of how much you feather. Also, the GT350 has a twin disk clutch and I've never seen anyone mention anything about grinding when shifting.

Yeah, dumping the clutch avoids the grinding. I can throw gears without the grinding noise. Just had to get used to it.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red

I got a MGW recently and yesterday i was doing some spirited runs, shifting around 5 to 7k rpms. Everytime i let go of the clutch and give some gas it makes this exact noise as in the video at 5.49 mark. I haven't gone through this whole thread but is it something to be concerned about ? mine is a 2018 with 23500 miles and have a year warranty left.

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I got a MGW recently and yesterday i was doing some spirited runs, shifting around 5 to 7k rpms. Everytime i let go of the clutch and give some gas it makes this exact noise as in the video at 5.49 mark. I haven't gone through this whole thread but is it something to be concerned about ? mine is a 2018 with 23500 miles and have a year warranty left.
Was it making the noise before the MGW? Not sure if anyone knows what the long term impact is but between this transmission/clutch grinding noise and the engine rattle, I ended up going the buyback route 18 months ago. Too bad it took until 2021 for Ford to put a decent manual transmission in the GT.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
Was it making the noise before the MGW? Not sure if anyone knows what the long term impact is but between this transmission/clutch grinding noise and the engine rattle, I ended up going the buyback route 18 months ago. Too bad it took until 2021 for Ford to put a decent manual transmission in the GT.
It was making this noise along with clutch vibration prior to the MGW but i never paid much attention to it. I don't know if it's E85 tune related or not but last few months I've noticed my transmission being rough basically lot of thuds clunking noises when rowing through gears. Also car violently jerks forward when slowing down to a stop and clutching in. So on spirited runs few days ago testing the new MGW shifter, the grinding noise during upshifts concerned me, it was really bad. I thought it might be my technique that's not right but I think most wouldn't dump the clutch and then give acclerator. I've started searching if this is a know problem, lo and behold I've come across these threads. I have the tick which i don't care about but the 2k rpm rattle annoys me at times.

Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
Here's the noise i was referring to...

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^Twin disc clutch noise. There's an intermediate floater plate that will make that noise until it locks up. Mine does it too.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Does it cause any damage in the long run? And do ALL the V8s with the D4 MT-82 make it? That would be the only way it could be called 'normal'. Sounds really bad.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does it cause any damage in the long run? And do ALL the V8s with the D4 MT-82 make it? That would be the only way it could be called 'normal'. Sounds really bad.
No, it won't cause any damage....as long as you don't ride the clutch in mid position all day. So far every 2018 I test drove before I bought mine, made that noise. In fact, most cars I have driven with a twin disc clutch has made that noise to some degree.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks brother. If all manual 2018+ cars with twin-disc clutch make it, even though I don't like it, and shouldn't be there, I feel a lot better. In addition, since I just read of this 'feature' (ha ha) for the first time a day or two ago, that means not all owners are experiencing it, so it must be something that can be mitigated with driving technique. So I feel much better about that. I'm close to finishing break-in, so I'll be able to test if my shifting style causes it or not. And if it does, will just modify it, since I already know how to do that (releasing clutch completely before getting in the gas), and thankfully, I won't track this car, so don't really need to shift super quick. And if I have to for safety reasons (merging, or something else), would simply do it, since it causes no damage. So not exactly what I wanted to hear, but now I don't mind this unfortunately characteristic of our engine that much.

My main engine concern now remains the stupid tick, which it'd REALLY upset me if my car has it, since it could also be bearing issues. And it's plain embarrassing, detracting from the ownership experience. Hope to dodge that bullet, but if it rears its ugly head, hopefully it'll do it right after an oil change, when it's most likely just rod knock (instead of bearing issues, which are detrimental. And both sound the same initially). If minor, and only at idle, and doesn't get worse, I could live with that without doing anything, like pouring additives to the oil, or putting thicker oil (I don't want to go above 0/30), etc. I'll be changing the oil for the first time (at 1Kmiles) very soon, so I'll see what happens then. It can also happen on the second one, so I'd still have to wait for that before feeling more confident to dodge that bullet. Ha ha.

Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
I dropped my car at the dealer few days ago, i also sent them a video which i posted on here. I think they took my car out for a test drive, cause i see 4 additional miles on the car since i dropped it. Anyway i texted today asking for an update, and they said the 5th gear is grinding really bad and most likely transmission needs to be taken down...

Heater26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
So my 2021 which I just got last month does this. I only have 1500kms on it so haven't took to the dealer yet. I was hoping it would just go away after but more miles. But seeing how many other have the problem then I am not sure what to do. And yes it's always after 4000rpm. Doesn't do it as bad when it's north of 6000rmp. No fix found yet eh guys?

Heater26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
So my 2021 which I just got last month does this. I only have 1500kms on it so haven't took to the dealer yet. I was hoping it would just go away after but more miles. But seeing how many other have the problem then I am not sure what to do. And yes it's always after 4000rpm. Doesn't do it as bad when it's north of 6000rmp. No fix found yet eh guys?
^^ bumping this... wondering if anyone has found a fix for this or just decided its how it's gonna be. I was planning to take it to ford next week but just thinking I'm wasting my time.

Heater26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I dropped my car at the dealer few days ago, i also sent them a video which i posted on here. I think they took my car out for a test drive, cause i see 4 additional miles on the car since i dropped it. Anyway i texted today asking for an update, and they said the 5th gear is grinding really bad and most likely transmission needs to be taken down...
What did you end up doing?

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
What did you end up doing?
They replaced the shift forks under warranty but it had nothing to do with the grinding noise. I still have that noise
Sponsored