2016 GT suspension recommendations

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I actually asked the guys at RR in Sterling and they love the RE71. But on 3000lb cars, not 4000. They do 8hr endurance racing at Summit, and you're only allowed to change 1 wheel if you get a flat. Otherwise the car has to go behind the wall. The heavier cars only got about 5 hrs before the magic smoke was exhausted.
Yeah, they're not an endurance tire for sure. I was merely pointing out that different tires offer different tradeoffs. The Indy is a great tire for it's price - evidenced by the nearly unanimous positive feedback on this forum. Yeah, the Michelin MP4S has more grip but it's a lot more expensive. Price, it just one of the possible tradeoffs. The Michelin won't touch the RE71R for grip and handling, but it has its tradeoffs too.

AirCooled222

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 Fastback GT, 1994 SN95 Mustang GT
Michelin and Bridgestone are bitter rivals. The Indy might just exist as a Firestone to knock the Michelin owned BFG Comp 2 of it's perch...
As one gets the upper hand the other is working on taking first place again. It creates a pressure cooker of an atmosphere to work in... But, the end results of the latest and greatest tires are a thing to behold, imo.
I remember running around on BFG Radial T/As in my Foxbody back in the day thinking those were about as good as grip could get in my budget back then. Now budget friendly good tire options are endless. I just wish people would do their DD before purchasing the most important component on the vehicle. I see SUVs full of kids running all kinds of junk tires and I'm thinking, hopefully that right front doesn't explode when passing an 18 wheeler on the interstate at 70+mph. Scary stuff.

OP
OP
HourlyB

HourlyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
This became all about tires real quick.

Just one more question, any idea if ground clearance will be a issue? My driveway is a small hill with the garage at the bottom.

Sponsored

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
This became all about tires real quick.

Just one more question, any idea if ground clearance will be a issue? My driveway is a small hill with the garage at the bottom.
I haven’t had any ground clearance issues and I park in underground parking with somewhat steep ramps likely similar to your driveway.

OP
OP
HourlyB

HourlyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Well, the good news is, I finally got my car back from the shop!

20200624_175954.jpg

The bad news is after getting it back, I have been beset by a "mysterious ticking noise"
Not constant, but whenever the right rear goes over a bump (water pipe cover size), I hear a definite tick/knock sound. My first instinct was that it was something in the trunk being bounced around, but I moved every loose item out of it and took a normal drive, and the sound was still there.

The car doesn't behave oddly, even under spirited driving, and there isn't really a vibration that happens with the sound, outside of the normal rocking from going over a bump. It also sounds more like plastic hitting than metal.

Still, anyone have any ideas?

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase

20200624_175954.jpg

The bad news is after getting it back, I have been beset by a "mysterious ticking noise"
Not constant, but whenever the right rear goes over a bump (water pipe cover size), I hear a definite tick/knock sound. My first instinct was that it was something in the trunk being bounced around, but I moved every loose item out of it and took a normal drive, and the sound was still there.

The car doesn't behave oddly, even under spirited driving, and there isn't really a vibration that happens with the sound, outside of the normal rocking from going over a bump. It also sounds more like plastic hitting than metal.

If you installed shock mounts I’d investigate there first.

And to address the tire conversation, Michelin MP4S are tough to beat for steering response (this is why I bought them). They are amazing in this sense. Beware of noise, however, when you get them in wide sizes...they are pretty loud at speed.

OP
OP
HourlyB

HourlyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Took it to the shop, and they tightened everything and checked it out. Seems like the rod end was slightly rotating and clinking against the shock mount. After it was tightened down, the noise stopped, hasn't come back after 250 miles of highway driving up to Maine or some of the rougher roads near Mount Desert Island.

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
Took it to the shop, and they tightened everything and checked it out. Seems like the rod end was slightly rotating and clinking against the shock mount. After it was tightened down, the noise stopped, hasn't come back after 250 miles of highway driving up to Maine or some of the rougher roads near Mount Desert Island.
Great to hear man. That’s a good result. By rod end do you mean the shock piston rod? Or something else?

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC

20200624_175954.jpg

That looks awesome! Did you end up using spacers in front? What was the final total for everything, if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
HourlyB

HourlyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
That looks awesome! Did you end up using spacers in front? What was the final total for everything, if you don't mind me asking?
Nope, just using the BMR springs, haven't had any issues with speed bumps or anything else so far.

Parts Breakdown;
  • Ford Performance Track Struct & Shock kit (M-18000-F)
  • Strut Tower Brace
  • Ford TPMS
  • Steeda Front Roll Center & Bumpsteer Correction kit
  • Steeda Rear Lower Control Arm Spherical Bearings
  • BMR Cradle Bushing Lockout kit, level 2
  • BMR Rear Shock Mount
  • BMR Lowering springs (Handling version)
  • SVE R357 wheels (19x10 square set up)
  • Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (285/35R19)

Total for parts - $3860 (Incl tax, but I used coupons and some items were on sale)

Total for work - $1200, done in 6 days by a local shop (unsure how bad I got fleeced there)

Total overall - $5060

To quote the best phrase in the world;

"Better than I feared, worse than I hoped"

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Nope, just using the BMR springs, haven't had any issues with speed bumps or anything else so far.

Parts Breakdown;
  • Ford Performance Track Struct & Shock kit (M-18000-F)
  • Strut Tower Brace
  • Ford TPMS
  • Steeda Front Roll Center & Bumpsteer Correction kit
  • Steeda Rear Lower Control Arm Spherical Bearings
  • BMR Cradle Bushing Lockout kit, level 2
  • BMR Rear Shock Mount
  • BMR Lowering springs (Handling version)
  • SVE R357 wheels (19x10 square set up)
  • Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (285/35R19)

Total for parts - $3860 (Incl tax, but I used coupons and some items were on sale)

Total for work - $1200, done in 6 days by a local shop (unsure how bad I got fleeced there)

Total overall - $5060

To quote the best phrase in the world;

"Better than I feared, worse than I hoped"
$1,200 is not bad for all that work. In lieu of doing it yourself I'd say you did alright man. Tell us - how does it feel? Also, don't forget a really good alignment plays a large role. Congrats on the new setup.

OP
OP
HourlyB

HourlyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
$1,200 is not bad for all that work. In lieu of doing it yourself I'd say you did alright man. Tell us - how does it feel? Also, don't forget a really good alignment plays a large role. Congrats on the new setup.
The car feels much tighter and more composed, overall. Wheel hop has pretty much been eliminated and grip is vastly improved. The car feels like it's on rails. But more importantly, it feels much more communicative on top of being more composed, like I can feel exactly what's going on between the car and the road.
Ride quality is still pretty good, though it's definitely a bit harsher, but this only really becomes a problem when going down really neglected roads.
It also just feels better to have some handling to back up the noisy exhaust the last owner put on.
Also, it just looks so much better.
iMarkup_20200406_174246.jpg
iMarkup_20200625_211119.jpg

It looks like it started going to the gym lol.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!
Sponsored