Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
20200621_005101.jpg
How is this spoiler attached to my 2020 GT Premium? I'd like to install one that has some level of function, unlike this one.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Its held on with bolts and tape. Access the bolts from the underside. And scrape the tape off. Its easier if you use a heat gun.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Using a heat gun to loosen the tape will work but if you’re still having issues separating the wing from the trunk lid - get a length of either dental floss or fishing string and pull it between the underside of the spoiler and topside of the trunk lid using it to separate the spoiler from the lid.

Clean the topside of the trunk lid to remove all the prior adhesive before installing the new spoiler.

Last edited:

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
What worked for me far better than a fishing line, was a simple cutter knife. Remove the screws, put some tape around the wing to protect your paint, and then try to separate your wing from the deck lid. You will see the tape expanding and simply cut the tape with your cutter knife in the middle without damaging your paint. After the first couple of inches you can use a plastic prying tool increase the gap even more.

Sponsored

The_Mad_Patcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi:
I did the exact same thing on my 2018 GT. I just parked the car in the sun to get it nice and warm which softened up the tape. I removed the nuts. Then I just lifted the wing from one side, rocking gently front to back, giving the tape a chance to let go as I worked my way across. Then I just used my fingers to "roll" the old adhesive tape off the finish. You may want to wear gloves if your hands aren't used to rough work. The instructions that come with the new spoiler are excellent. Just follow the sheet that comes with it. The whole thing took about an hour. I hope yours goes as easy as mine. Good luck. I hope you enjoy.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
^ OP, Folks above have posted some great info / links to get this done.

As someone who has experience with suspension and aero tuning, I'll add as a side note that although that small decklid spoiler is just that - small, it does function and work to create downforce, just not as much obviously as a bigger airfoil, or a wing.

OP
OP
20ducks

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks a bunch guys, that video is a major help. btw, my GT Premium is a convertible. Do you think it would be different from the fast back?

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Thanks a bunch guys, that video is a major help. btw, my GT Premium is a convertible. Do you think it would be different from the fast back?
Not that I’m aware of unless you have a California special spoiler then it’s just different holes.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
5-9 beers, then just gorrilla rip that bitch right off there.

Don't even remove the nuts, just rip it right off.

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
As someone who has experience with suspension and aero tuning, I'll add as a side note that although that small decklid spoiler is just that - small, it does function and work to create downforce, just not as much obviously as a bigger airfoil, or a wing.
For what the OP showed a picture of, it’s just cosmetic. Ford designed it as such. The enormous wings you see on the back of race cars? Those create downforce, when matched with speed. But functionally has to be designed as such. The spoilers you see on many street cars, well, just spoil the air, which is why the the name follows suit. You’re not achieving stability with anything until you're getting along 75+++ but real downforce isn't exerted until pushing triple digits.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
For what the OP showed a picture ot, it’s just cosmetic. Ford designed it as such. The enormous wings you see on the back of race cars? Those create downforce, when matched with speed. But functionally has to be designed as such. The spoilers you see on many street cars, well, just spoil the air, which is why the the name follows suit. You’re not achieving stability with anything until you're getting along 75+++ but real downforce isn't exerted until pushing triple digits.
Excellent point;

OP, unless you're getting some massive spoiler like the picture below, and matching it with the right front splitter like below, you're wasting your time if your concern is real down-force.

On the other hand, if what you really want is just looks, by all means, go for it. Do what ya' like.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Excellent point;

OP, unless you're getting some massive spoiler like the picture below, and matching it with the right front splitter like below, you're wasting your time if your concern is real down-force.

On the other hand, if what you really want is just looks, by all means, go for it. Do what ya' like.
thanks. It needed to be said. I was thinking about adding something along the lines of a front end splitter but didn’t want to pull away from what this thread was intended to do so.

but now that it’s open, it needs to be said: If you’re doing a front end splitter without balancing the rear it will likely increase oversteer bit due to less lift on the front of the car, by how much, will depend on condition of weather, lowering, tires, speed, pavement.

If I was doing something (tracking the car) id get a knock off rear wing (oem is stupid $$$) along wth the “R” splitter and run some kind of compound tire of your choice. Functional along with performance is best especially if you’re looking for an investment. If you’re going for looks, stick with any spoiler of your choice, comes down to personal choice.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Excellent point;

I don't believe the OP is driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse.................:rockon:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Although I don't know the exact numbers, apparently Ford did design the PP2 rear spoiler to be functional. There's a guy selling one in the classifieds for I think $180 or something.
Sponsored