Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
AZ18yote, it is possible that the new cal that Roush will be releasing soon will be a huge improvement. However, based on my experience, you would be disappointed in the current transmission behavior compared to what you have now.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
AZ18yote, it is possible that the new cal that Roush will be releasing soon will be a huge improvement. However, based on my experience, you would be disappointed in the current transmission behavior compared to what you have now.
I have seen the thread discussing the new cal for a few weeks now (at least?) Has Roush actually released what they are addressing or is it all speculation and wish list currently? Just curious what THEIR motivation/ driving factor is. Fixing fueling in tune (even possible without a BAP?)? Revised shift tables? Etc just wondering. And I take it there has not been a firm release date yet, just that it's coming. Ford Performance/ Game of Thrones style :)

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
To qualify they would not be significantly lower but definitely not more than current lol. The appeal is a higher starting point power wise with a warranty to back it. Now I have never had an issue at my dealership they have been great but if something significant occurred with current setup and was on me I'd accept a denied claim. But sc off the lot with warranty kinda gives the warm and fuzzies. Plus new car vs one i have been pushing for almost 3 years now. Shiny new object vs broken in lol. Obvious down side losing all the work put into existing. Could transfer some items like CF ds and 1400hp axles, but that's about it. The trans tuning definitely raises an eyebrow. Track mode / drag mide now on e is an all out riot. Sounds like p2 shifting may be a tad soft based on member feedback in comparison.
Soft doesn't bother me. I never really noticed on the street because it's mostly in the lower gears and lets be honest... there's not many opportunities to light up 750hp on the street. Tran shifting isn't a top concern on a secluded shitty country road. It's not dying and getting traction in that kind of road. Or highway runs and Past 4th is just fine until you get to 123mph. I've literally never been able to go past 123mph on phase 2 or phase 1 without shifting manually.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Soft doesn't bother me. I never really noticed on the street because it's mostly in the lower gears and lets be honest... there's not many opportunities to light up 750hp on the street. Tran shifting isn't a top concern on a secluded shitty country road. It's not dying and getting traction in that kind of road. Or highway runs and Past 4th is just fine until you get to 123mph. I've literally never been able to go past 123mph on phase 2 or phase 1 without shifting manually.
Is that in the shift logic? Like hard coded or is that a response to variables? Gearing? Tire size? Iats? Just doesn't sound like an intentional parameter but maybe that was completely as designed?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is that in the shift logic? Like hard coded or is that a response to variables? Gearing? Tire size? Iats? Just doesn't sound like an intentional parameter but maybe that was completely as designed?
Personally I think it's response to my specific setup by the cal when it tunes my cal. Basically the Roush cal has logic that tunes based upon the hardware and setup you have. For instance if you have that sensor, that only Bruce seems to have, the cal will recognize that and tune the car based upon that hardware. I verified this with the Roush Ford tech who did my phase 2 upgrade. there's no other reasonable explanation for me having the same exact problem on 2 different phases and cals. While many other do not.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Btw, its also why I may not have noticed or been bothered by the shifting in the lower gears over 2 different phases and a lot of runs. My car might be setup differently for some reason thru the software. No idea.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Just another positive review on Roush service... I had an issue with my intercooler pump working intermittently. I went to my local Roush dealer at Ford of Port Richey. When I brought the car there the pump was not running.... when he went to inspect it, it was working. They brought me in and I relayed that the problem was intermittent. I mentioned it might be the relay or the pump. He agreed. Even though the problem wasn't happening, they ripped open a kit they had on the shelf and installed a new relay for me. Then they said if it happens again bring it back and they'll swap the pump. No questions asked, no charge. They said Roush covers any issues and never have a problem getting them to pay for the service.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
If the primary desire is higher speed performance...80- 140 for example, the Roush trans cal is probably fine unless you have the 123 mph bug. Jmtoast has it but mine doesn't.

It is the lower speed shifts....both part and full throttle that I hate. I rarely use WOT in the lower gears on the street. However, I do occasionally give it about all it will take short of wheelspin. It is in that scenario that the shifts are too soft and too much power is pulled prior to the shift.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
If the primary desire is higher speed performance...80- 140 for example, the Roush trans cal is probably fine unless you have the 123 mph bug. Jmtoast has it but mine doesn't.

It is the lower speed shifts....both part and full throttle that I hate. I rarely use WOT in the lower gears on the street. However, I do occasionally give it about all it will take short of wheelspin. It is in that scenario that the shifts are too soft and too much power is pulled prior to the shift.
I don't notice any power being cut before shifts in the lower gears either under wot or otherwise (at least I haven't notcied any as I said above). Especially under anything but wot. Smooth as silk. Just like stock. Not sure which problem I'd rather have. Having to manually shift at 123mph or shitty trans shifting in lower gears.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
The new cal might solve both the lower gear shifting and the 123 bug. I suspect jmtoast has a newer cal than I do.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Bruce that’s a perfect explanation and exactly how my car runs

U and I must have them same cal

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The new cal might solve both the lower gear shifting and the 123 bug. I suspect jmtoast has a newer cal than I do.
I don't know I'm going to record a run and you guys can tell me if you see any differences.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
A few things I have noticed on my 2 hour drives to the track:

Fuel mileage is very similar to stock. The engine does run very smooth from idle to high rpm. Highway passing maneuvers can be accomplished very quickly....and triple digits speeds can happen before you know it. Coolant and cylinder head temps run a bit lower since getting rid of the active grill shutters. There is really no bad behavior as a daily driver or road car. I think the Roush cal on a manual trans car would be just fine.

Tuning a 10 speed auto with multiple modes is probably a tricky task. Then building in safeguards for warranty reasons complicate it more.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I agree that the manuals are probably not affected at all, only the auto with the quirky shifting issues. It’s mind blowing how aftermarket tuners can dial in these transmissions cals and Roush can’t clean it up and not have so many nannies in it where it affects drivability. That’s really my only beef is the transmission calibration.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the tuners who specialize in Mustangs can do wonders with trans tuning. Until the 10A came along, I suspect Roush had almost no focus on automatics. Mustangs were almost always manuals until 2018.