Sponsored

2020 updates to the R did not make their way onto the GT350. Solutions?

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 991.2 911 S Cab, 2017 AMG SL63, 2019 AMG C63S, 2016 Boxster Spyder, 2019 Mustang GT Conv, too many others
I’m a little late to the party but I am just learning now that the 2020 GT350R has the following improvements implemented by Ford (as they learned from the GT500 project):

-redesigned front suspension geometry with a redesigned high-trail steering knuckle leveraged from GT500
-new steering rack
-recalibrated electric power steering control
-deletion of exhaust resonators for enhanced sound and weight savings

One review says “The standard GT350 is prone to obnoxious levels of tramlining, or pulling aggressively side to side as the suspension reacts to the contours of uneven roads. The GT350R’s updated suspension curbs this tendency, though.”

I agree completely with this assessment of the GT350’s tendency towards tramlining. My 2019 GT350 does do this and sometimes it’s quite disconcerting at speed.

=====

1) Let’s discuss the tramlining on the GT350 a bit. Thoughts and experience?
2) Can any of these upgrades to the R be (easily) retrofitted to the 2019-2020 or pre-2019 GT350?
3) Reviews say these improvements to the R make the car’s comfort level on the street even better than before. Thoughts on this? Do we think the R will ride just about as nicely as the GT350 (or better) on the street?
4) Having knowledge of these improvements makes me want to jettison my 2019 GT350 and step into a 2020 R. Thoughts? (I don’t track the car, but I do like having the best and also the tramlining is quite annoying- but I do absolutely love the car).
5) Any chance we think these changes could make their way into the potential 2021 GT350?
6) This is an oldie but if there is a 2021 GT350/R, do we think Ford will finally give us a digital instrument cluster at that time?
Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The R definitely does tramline, but it's partly the nature of the beast and its tires. There was a review on the forum earlier by a member who drove both versions, and he said the change wasn't very significant and that the revised version still tramlines. If you search you should be able to find it. I had looked into whether the change could be made to a previous R, but after reading him say the difference wasn't huge I gave up on the notion. You'd have to swap knuckles, then possibly adjust the tie rod length on the rack. Overall turn radius might be slightly affected though. And even then the power steering ratio would likely be slightly different. I believe Epiphany said he's waiting on GT500 knuckles to see what would be involved in the swap. I would still expect it to tramline more than a standard GT350 just because of the tires though, and wouldn't purchase one expecting tramlining to be gone. Also, the deleted resonators has been on all R's. When the magazines first published the differences for the 2020 R, many of them were listing differences that have always been on the R.

Last edited:

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
From my experience, most of the tramlining is the tires.

When I had a non R, I had the MPSS on from stock. It had some tramlining but managable. When I got a set of Cup2's on another set of rims for tracking is when I noticed a big difference. Most of the Cups life were on the track but every once in while I did not want to swap off so just went places with them on.

Now with the R and having Cups all the time, I just expect it a bit.

You get used to it the more you drive it.

Trj3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I have the new 2020 R and the tramlining is much less by my memory from my 16 R. It still pulls with the stock tires but it is less and seems to correct itself. I have the same tires on a 2019 Z06 and that car pulls as well but not as much so where it does not pull with the super sports on. So I also agree that a less aggressive street tire will help correct as well. I cant speak for the 350 as I have not driven the 19s yet. I would think tires and alignment would probably be the solution. Oh yeah and resonator delete ( ;

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I’m a little late to the party but I am just learning now that the 2020 GT350R has the following improvements implemented by Ford (as they learned from the GT500 project):

-redesigned front suspension geometry with a redesigned high-trail steering knuckle leveraged from GT500
-new steering rack

One review says “The standard GT350 is prone to obnoxious levels of tramlining, or pulling aggressively side to side as the suspension reacts to the contours of uneven roads. The GT350R’s updated suspension curbs this tendency, though.”

I agree completely with this assessment of the GT350’s tendency towards tramlining. My 2019 GT350 does do this and sometimes it’s quite disconcerting at speed.

=====

2) Can any of these upgrades to the R be (easily) retrofitted to the 2019-2020 or pre-2019 GT350?
3) Reviews say these improvements to the R make the car’s comfort level on the street even better than before. Thoughts on this? Do we think the R will ride just about as nicely as the GT350 (or better) on the street?
4) Having knowledge of these improvements makes me want to jettison my 2019 GT350 and step into a 2020 R. Thoughts? (I don’t track the car, but I do like having the best and also the tramlining is quite annoying- but I do absolutely love the car).
5) Any chance we think these changes could make their way into the potential 2021 GT350?
6) This is an oldie but if there is a 2021 GT350/R, do we think Ford will finally give us a digital instrument cluster at that time?
Tramlining is tires. I put the MPSS on my car with the track alignment its barely noticeable I put my track wheels on with SC2 and the car immediately try to dive into the divider on the highway.

New doesnt always mean better in all ways, think hydraulic steering versus eps.

There was also new ABS calibration.

Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Wait...I think I read that ONLY the 2020, and ONLY the "R", has the "borrowed" front end 'improvements' from the GT500

A saw at least a comment or 2 that made reference to the 2019 NON-R, which I know had some changes (wheels and tires), but other then that, isn't the 2019 the same old, same old front end as any other year?

thx!

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Wait...I think I read that ONLY the 2020, and ONLY the "R", has the "borrowed" front end 'improvements' from the GT500

A saw at least a comment or 2 that made reference to the 2019 NON-R, which I know had some changes (wheels and tires), but other then that, isn't the 2019 the same old, same old front end as any other year?

thx!
Yes, only the 2020 R has the knuckles and steering rack from the GT500.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Yes, only the 2020 R has the knuckles and steering rack from the GT500.
...they always find a way to make you want to buy a newer version (LOL) ....

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302

-new steering rack

=====

The Steeda G brace markedly reduced the tramlining on my ‘16 R.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

-new steering rack

=====

You are correct on the first 3 items listed with improvements for the 2020 R but the deletion of resonators for enhanced sound and weight savings has always been part of the R model which includes the original 37 R's built back in early July, 2015 for the 2015 MY.

I have had 3 R model's (still own JR157) and everyone of them had/have a tramlining issue but have not received my 2020 R quite yet therefore will defer to others that already have received their 2020 R's with respect to this issue but my understanding is that tramlining is improved on the 2020 R's.

With respect to non R's I have also experienced some sort of tramlining with many of those cars as well with most of my experience being with these 3 2015 GT350's two of which Tech Pack cars with the SB GT350 being a Track Pack car.

I drove the Race Red back from N.C. to S.C. and noticed some tramlining with this car and can also same the same about the Triple Yellow car after driving it from S.C. to Georgia on one trip but must say that the tramlining issue is certainly more pronounced on the R models and hope that the 2020 R will be improved in that respect.

If you are looking at moving into a 2020 R I certainly get that and if you are serious I suggest that you get started on your search right now as there are not many presently for sale and I don't expect a big push for any 2020 R model allocations to become available for the rest of this model year.

As far as holding out for a 2021 R model don't hold your breath as it is my understanding that the 2020 MY is the last and only year for both the GT350 and the GT500 to go down the FRAP production line simultaneously.

Good luck!

:)

DSCF1584.JPG

Sponsored

bendensez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I have a 2020 non-R and can confirm, as others have, that tires have a large impact on tramlining. My 2020 on the stock MPSC2 tramlined horribly on the rutted roads up here in Michigan. I replaced them with MPS4S when I put my new Signature wheels on in the spring and tramlining is pretty much a thing of the past for me.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2020 non-R and can confirm, as others have, that tires have a large impact on tramlining. My 2020 on the stock MPSC2 tramlined horribly on the rutted roads up here in Michigan. I replaced them with MPS4S when I put my new Signature wheels on in the spring and tramlining is pretty much a thing of the past for me.
Assuming the new rims were far.lighter, drive diffent or feel different besides the tramlines? Did you reset the spedo ?

bendensez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Assuming the new rims were far.lighter, drive diffent or feel different besides the tramlines? Did you reset the spedo ?
Yeah, lost about 31 lbs overall moving to the Signature SV902. I haven't had a chance to push too hard on the back roads yet, but the car seems a bit more reactive. My speedometer was off as a result of the reduced wheel circumference on the 30 series v. the stock 35 series. I did re-calibrate it, but had to do some detective work to figure that out because module memory mapping has changed for the 2020 Mustangs (I posted about that in the Forscan thread if you're interested).

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yeah, lost about 31 lbs overall moving to the Signature SV902. I haven't had a chance to push too hard on the back roads yet, but the car seems a bit more reactive. My speedometer was off as a result of the reduced wheel circumference on the 30 series v. the stock 35 series. I did re-calibrate it, but had to do some detective work to figure that out because module memory mapping has changed for the 2020 Mustangs (I posted about that in the Forscan thread if you're interested).
Did you just use Forscan to recalibrate it?

bendensez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350