Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Stage 3 I’m thinking for anyone that bought the Phase 1 Kit and had it installed by anyone other than Roush on their Stage 3 cars it’s worth it because I believe there is only a $7500 limit on the 3yr/36000mi Powertrain and is the same Phase 1 to Phase 2. If you have 19 Stage 3 serialized car from Roush that has the 5yr/60000mi Powertrain Warranty I don’t think it is worth it. There is no $7500 cap so it covers any Powertrain related repair regardless of cost for that 5/60000. The more I think about it the more I realize I would go the custom tune route and forgo the Phase 2 option when it’s time to take the step.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Stage 3 I’m thinking for anyone that bought the Phase 1 Kit and had it installed by anyone other than Roush on their Stage 3 cars it’s worth it because I believe there is only a $7500 limit on the 3yr/36000mi Powertrain and is the same Phase 1 to Phase 2. If you have 19 Stage 3 serialized car from Roush that has the 5yr/60000mi Powertrain Warranty I don’t think it is worth it. There is no $7500 cap so it covers any Powertrain related repair regardless of cost for that 5/60000. The more I think about it the more I realize I would go the custom tune route and forgo the Phase 2 option when it’s time to take the step.
I think so too. I'd probably go VMP Performance or PBD.
How about you @hossman ?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, in your opinion, do you think the Phase 2 kit is worth it or not really?
In reading your post here, it seems not really worth the time and money for it.
For the deal he’s going to get with a warranty yes but he’s coming from a low 11 car already with a custom tune. But He may find the tuning too much to bear coming from a car already dialed in. Then the heat in Arizona. Shoes are melting off people feet out there right now.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
For the deal he’s going to get with a warranty yes but he’s coming from a low 11 car already with a custom tune. But He may find the tuning too much to bear coming from a car already dialed in. Then the heat in Arizona. Shoes are melting off people feet out there right now.
That makes sense. Especially if his car is already dialed in.

Yeah,.....it's been really hot out here in the Northeast! Really hot. The humidity has been high.
I think we had 12 or more days with any rain too. It's super dry and hot.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That makes sense. Especially if his car is already dialed in.

Yeah,.....it's been really hot out here in the Northeast! Really hot. The humidity has been high.
I think we had 12 or more days with any rain too. It's super dry and hot.

Yep, it’s soup here in Philly

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Yep, it’s soup here in Philly
Yeah, tell me about it. A lot of times I work in the Great Valley/Malvern area outside all day and it sucks.

ImBetterDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
My VMP nGauge is arriving soon to tune my P2 2015. Stoked!

I'm used to the AccessPort though. Similar? If so, what gauges do you guys use? Like what r or 6 data points are you feeling to be most important to track?

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

I'm used to the AccessPort though. Similar? If so, what gauges do you guys use? Like what r or 6 data points are you feeling to be most important to track?
The company who does your tune will send u a data file to use to start logging

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

I had a 17 Roush Phase 2 tuned by VMP and if your running the Roush Kit with no other changes the file they send you will be ready to rip as it has been vetted and tested and dialed in. You shouldn’t have to data log it unless you think something is off or peace of mind. The PIDS I had on the 6 gauge set up was IAT2, KnockR, AFR, ACT, and you can pick whatever 2 others you want. You will love the tune.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic

Did you end up doing their full Roush upgrade package with pulleys, injectors, fuel pump etc or just tune standalone?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I am going to sound like a cranky, sour grapes, glass half empty kind of guy.....

Hindsight being 20/20, I was much more impressed with my flex fuel tune than I am the phase 2 Roush. The difference in throttle response and particularly transmission behavior was vastly superior with the NA custom tune on E85. 0-60 mph would be close but after that the Roush is faster.....but not remarkably so....especially in less than perfect conditions.

I am pretty well convinced that a custom tuned NA vehicle will be substantially more reliable and trouble-free than slapping boost on a 12:1 engine. The cost difference between tune and supercharging is huge. I never had a hint of warranty issues with my tuned NA cars.

A custom tune on the Roush might totally change my thinking and make me love it but I miss much of the way my car behaved when NA and on E85.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am going to sound like a cranky, sour grapes, glass half empty kind of guy.....

Hindsight being 20/20, I was much more impressed with my flex fuel tune than I am the phase 2 Roush. The difference in throttle response and particularly transmission behavior was vastly superior with the NA custom tune on E85. 0-60 mph would be close but after that the Roush is faster.....but not remarkably so....especially in less than perfect conditions.

I am pretty well convinced that a custom tuned NA vehicle will be substantially more reliable and trouble-free than slapping boost on a 12:1 engine. The cost difference between tune and supercharging is huge. I never had a hint of warranty issues with my tuned NA cars.

A custom tune on the Roush might totally change my thinking and make me love it but I miss much of the way my car behaved when NA and on E85.

It’s getting hot in MN. isn’t it?

Yea there’s no doubt, a well thought out full bolton E85 setup will run well even in warm weather, that said tune the Roush for 93/Boostane and u make think otherwise.

Remember your E85 setup was non warranty, your Roush setup gives up some lower end power and how power feels for piece of mind

Last edited: