Sponsored

Shifting from Sport to Normal is okay for my engine?

JUH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost 50th Anniversary Edition
Excuse me for my lack of knowledge, I just want to verify this so I'm not unknowingly damaging my engine. In my Ecoboost automatic, is it okay for me to shift from high RPM sport mode (at like 5-6k RPM) down to the regular 1.5 or 2k RPM in normal mode?
Sponsored

Guitar00Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Excuse me for my lack of knowledge, I just want to verify this so I'm not unknowingly damaging my engine. In my Ecoboost automatic, is it okay for me to shift from high RPM sport mode (at like 5-6k RPM) down to the regular 1.5 or 2k RPM in normal mode?
I'd like to help give you an answer, but I am confused. Do you mean changing your setting while you're flooring it? If so I can't think of a good reason to and wouldn't recommend it.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
You will be fine.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Why would you want to do that?

OP
OP
JUH

JUH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakob
Vehicle(s)
Why would you want to do that?
If I'm on open roads and I happen to see another car ahead I wanna be able to quickly switch back to low RPM

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If I'm on open roads and I happen to see another car ahead I wanna be able to quickly switch back to low RPM
The driving modes do not really impact on the RPM's of the engine. There is no high RPM or low RPM mode. The driving modes will change the engine/throttle/transmission mapping. You will get a faster response to the go pedal both in sport and track mode. Honestly for what your thinking about just floor it. The engines/transmission computers will react, quickly. No real advantage to changing modes on the fly. I doubt it would hurt anything but changing settings under acceleration speed may not be the best idea.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The driving modes do not really impact on the RPM's of the engine. There is no high RPM or low RPM mode. The driving modes will change the engine/throttle/transmission mapping. You will get a faster response to the go pedal both in sport and track mode. Honestly for what your thinking about just floor it. The engines/transmission computers will react, quickly. No real advantage to changing modes on the fly. I doubt it would hurt anything but changing settings under acceleration speed may not be the best idea.
They do, in a way. If you're on a winding road in Sport+ mode, the transmission holds the gear at higher rpms even when you're foot isn't into the throttle very much. I find I want to do the same thing as the OP when other cars approach. I don't want to be at 5k rpm when someone passes by me the other direction. I'd rather be at a more reasonable sounding rpm. But, I typically use the paddle shifters to shift quickly to a higher gear in that scenario, rather than change to normal mode.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Basically in this day of computer controlled nannies, if it was something that could truly be catastrophic the nannies would prevent you.

This always comes with the caveat that the higher loads puts on engines and other components the faster they will wear.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
They do, in a way. If you're on a winding road in Sport+ mode, the transmission holds the gear at higher rpms even when you're foot isn't into the throttle very much. I find I want to do the same thing as the OP when other cars approach. I don't want to be at 5k rpm when someone passes by me the other direction. I'd rather be at a more reasonable sounding rpm. But, I typically use the paddle shifters to shift quickly to a higher gear in that scenario, rather than change to normal mode.
Yes, you are correct. And handling the drop the way you do sounds a lot safer than by taking the hand off the wheel to reach for the mode switch.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
You seem to be thinking normal acts like a higher OD gear. It's not. There's no point to do what you're asking, if I understood it properly. Just manually shift it up a gear if you don't want it rung out. Throwing it into normal also won't cause that sort of drop in rpms unless the car upshifts at the same time.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Honestly I just shake my head at what some people ask...
First, unless your car is drastically different than mine, there's no switching from Sport to Normal directly. You have to go through track, drag and wet to get back to normal.
Second, WTF difference does it make to oncoming or upcoming vehicles what rpm you're running?
Third, often you have much more control over the car if the rpm is higher, example is engine braking.
I could go on but...
Finally, Ford is not going to put a control like that in our hands if it would hurt the engine, transmission or drive train.
Personally, I think the OP is just trying to yank the forums chain...

OP
OP
JUH

JUH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakob
Vehicle(s)
Honestly I just shake my head at what some people ask...
First, unless your car is drastically different than mine, there's no switching from Sport to Normal directly. You have to go through track, drag and wet to get back to normal.
Second, WTF difference does it make to oncoming or upcoming vehicles what rpm you're running?
Third, often you have much more control over the car if the rpm is higher, example is engine braking.
I could go on but...
Finally, Ford is not going to put a control like that in our hands if it would hurt the engine, transmission or drive train.
Personally, I think the OP is just trying to yank the forums chain...
Nah... this is coming from previously owning a 2007 GT in automatic. The car far more minimal technology wise than this one so it was much easier to learn IMO. I highly suspected that it wouldn't affect the car regardless but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything bad.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I usually do the opposite. Driving/cruising in normal, then when I want some extra oomph to pass or accelerate into traffic I'll grab the shifter and pull it into sport. When done, ease up on the throttle a bit and push it back into drive. Going from 45 to 80 MPH is only a matter of a few seconds.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
The OP asks a GREAT question and you guys are ALL wrong...!!!

The proper way to change modes is similar to unlocking hubs on 4 wheel drives with manual locking hubs.
If you want to change modes, you must come to a complete stop, select the new mode, place it in reverse and back up until the previous mode is disconnected (usually about 20 - 30 feet), then the new mode will be engaged once you place it back into drive or 1st.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The OP asks a GREAT question and you guys are ALL wrong...!!!

The proper way to change modes is similar to unlocking hubs on 4 wheel drives with manual locking hubs.
If you want to change modes, you must come to a complete stop, select the new mode, place it in reverse and back up until the previous mode is disconnected (usually about 20 - 30 feet), then the new mode will be engaged once you place it back into drive or 1st.
Correct you cannot change the modes on the fly ........ Must assume the ones saying they can are not driving a similar car.
Sponsored