Carbon Fiber Wheel Defect/Replacement

LR170Shelby350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Hi everyone! I’m new to this site (This is my first post) and just took delivery of my new 2020 GT350R this past week. It’s Ford Performance Blue with a black roof, carbon fiber I/P. The car is stunning!

When I got home and inspected the car a little more closely, I noticed my front passenger carbon fiber wheel Has a deep gouge in the outer lip. Naturally I wasn’t thrilled with this and am working with my dealer to have the wheel replaced under warranty.

This prompted a couple questions to the community here for those with more experience with this than I.

Has anyone else had this issue when their 350R was delivered new? If so, did your dealer replace the rim?

And my more important question is - does removal of the tire and rebalancing require special equipment since these rims are carbon fiber? I have lots of experience changing tires on aluminum rims and know some machines tend to gouge the inside of the rim when the machine clamps down to remove/replace the tire. If the dealer does replace the rim under warranty, I don’t what to have it scratched again. Is there a special tire machine that is preferred?

Any help you can provide from your experience would be really appreciated.

Rob
Sponsored

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
If I remember, in the supplemental guide it recommends:

Carbon Fiber Wheels

The GT350R comes standard with carbon fiber wheels. These wheels offer significant weight savings, while maintaining the structural integrity of aluminum or steel wheels. These wheels have been specifically designed for the R package, and are not recommended for use on other vehicles or Mustang variants. Due care should be taken when mounting and balancing new tires to avoid damage. Ford Performance recommends only using your Ford authorized dealer for service.

Which since its warranty work, Ford will only want the service department to do it.

OP
OP
LR170Shelby350R

LR170Shelby350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Thanks BeastAR. I figured the Ford Dealer that sold me the car would need to do the work. I just don't know if they have any experience mounting/dismounting tires on these carbon fiber rims.

Has anyone else had any experience with this they can share? Is there any special process or equipment required that would be different from a standard aluminum rim?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
If I remember, in the supplemental guide it recommends:

Carbon Fiber Wheels

The GT350R comes standard with carbon fiber wheels. These wheels offer significant weight savings, while maintaining the structural integrity of aluminum or steel wheels. These wheels have been specifically designed for the R package, and are not recommended for use on other vehicles or Mustang variants. Due care should be taken when mounting and balancing new tires to avoid damage. Ford Performance recommends only using your Ford authorized dealer for service.

Which since its warranty work, Ford will only want the service department to do it.
Most Ford dealers do not have the equipment to mount and dismount CF. You need a touchless machine.

OP
OP
LR170Shelby350R

LR170Shelby350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Most Ford dealers do not have the equipment to mount and dismount CF. You need a touchless machine.
Yep...that's what I was also thinking. Would a normal tire shop that does higher end vehicles have this equipment? Any thoughts on where I could take it?

Sponsored

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks BeastAR. I figured the Ford Dealer that sold me the car would need to do the work. I just don't know if they have any experience mounting/dismounting tires on these carbon fiber rims.

Has anyone else had any experience with this they can share? Is there any special process or equipment required that would be different from a standard aluminum rim?
As it being warranty work, Ford will want it to be done at dealership. Now, you don't have to use the dealer you purchased from.

I agree, it might be harder to find, but I'm just quoting the supplement guide... I'm sure there are some Ford dealers that have upgraded to touchless systems (I'll have to ask the Ford dealer I go to next time I go). Possibly newer dealerships have upgraded to them...

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
As it being warranty work, Ford will want it to be done at dealership. Now, you don't have to use the dealer you purchased from.

I agree, it might be harder to find, but I'm just quoting the supplement guide... I'm sure there are some Ford dealers that have upgraded to touchless systems (I'll have to ask the Ford dealer I go to next time I go). Possibly newer dealerships have upgraded to them...
I took mine to the dealer and they farmed it out

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
I had the same thing happen to me took a closer look and found several things LF wheel had a cut and rim damage and there was a chip in the carbon dash above the gauges. every thing went very smooth as I had taken a boat load of pics on the show room floor. I asked the dealer to replace NEW and not repair and they felt the same way total time was about 2 1/2 weeks and then the tire/rim were sent out as they did not have the correct tire machine

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I took mine to the dealer and they farmed it out
Tim, I also had transport damage to the passenger's side front wheel on this car after which time Ford replaced the damaged wheel under warranty.

With respect to the dealership doing the work that certainly did not happen as they wanted nothing to do when dealing with this issue and as in your case the work was farmed out to a properly qualified tire shop.

:sunglasses:
DSCF2455.JPG

OP
OP
LR170Shelby350R

LR170Shelby350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Do you guys know what tire shop your dealers used to perform the work, or what specific type of special equipment they had/needed to change the rim?

Sponsored

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
Touch less wheel machine that clamps through the center hole

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
if you have FB, this guy (jeff black) went to his local discount tire center and they did a good job:

i've gone to my local america's tire (discount tire west coast) and didnt have a great experience. just gonna leave it there.

there is a mom and pop shop near me that uses the hunter touchless and they do good work. here is a quick vid i did with them doing some of my CF wheels:

so it really can vary. many ford dealers wont touch the CF wheels (my closest dealer wont). it really matters WHO is doing the job. you want their best guy on it. another option: take it to a porsche or supercar dealer. they know how.

OP
OP
LR170Shelby350R

LR170Shelby350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Thanks lightrules, this is exactly what I was wanting to know! I will be sure the tire shop has the Hunter touch-less machine. Plus I can share the video with my dealer so they can see exactly what my expectations are for how I want the tire changed.
Sponsored