obd2 no power

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
No power to the obd2 and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas I saw some other post on here that said to check fuse 15 under the hood and that fuse is good switched it with another fuse just to be sure.
Sponsored

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Have you tried using another OBD2 device to ensure its not the device? Also, take a look at the PINS on the connector. I bought a used SCT x4 years ago and had to re-pin one of the connectors before it would power on.

OP
OP
AZ_whippleS550

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Have you tried using another OBD2 device to ensure its not the device? Also, take a look at the PINS on the connector. I bought a used SCT x4 years ago and had to re-pin one of the connectors before it would power on.
Yes I tried more than one device and replaced the obd module in the car still no power. and I tried both devices in another car just to make sure they worked.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The DLC (C251) OBD2 port provides 12vdc at pin 16. ON prints for the 2005 and 2011 Mustang GT this wire is green with red stripe. You could probe that with a voltmeter and see if you have 12vdc to ground. On the S197 2011 - 2014 models this voltage is provided from the Smart Junction Box via Fuse F20 (15A fuse). Not sure if the S550 platform uses an SJB or not. Check your owners manual for fuse layout and see if you can find a fuse dedicated to DLC (datalink connector). That will be the fuse in question. The fuse number may be different as this designation changes on the 2005 SJB. However again the wire color code and pin number at the DLC connector is the same.

Someone with valid S550 prints should be able to pull up the Module Communications Network schematic and find the location and fuse designation for you. Sorry I can be of no further assistance without S550 prints.

OP
OP
AZ_whippleS550

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
The DLC (C251) OBD2 port provides 12vdc at pin 16. ON prints for the 2005 and 2011 Mustang GT this wire is green with red stripe. You could probe that with a voltmeter and see if you have 12vdc to ground. On the S197 2011 - 2014 models this voltage is provided from the Smart Junction Box via Fuse F20 (15A fuse). Not sure if the S550 platform uses an SJB or not. Check your owners manual for fuse layout and see if you can find a fuse dedicated to DLC (datalink connector). That will be the fuse in question. The fuse number may be different as this designation changes on the 2005 SJB. However again the wire color code and pin number at the DLC connector is the same.

Someone with valid S550 prints should be able to pull up the Module Communications Network schematic and find the location and fuse designation for you. Sorry I can be of no further assistance without S550 prints.
I can check the manual

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Found the fuse layouts in the S550 manual and I see nothing designated DLC. Guess Ford has chosen to label it something else or pull power from another fuse source rather than a designated fuse. Try checking F42 15A (vehicle power 3) and F44 15A (Vehicle power 4) as F54 20A (Aux power point). Sorry I cannot be of further help without a Mod Com Network schematic that will show the source for pin 16 on the DLC.

http://diagrams.hissind.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2016-Mustang-Owners-Manual-version-1.pdf

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The interior fuse box is located in the kick panel on the passenger side. I did not see anything indicated or even remotely suggestive of being OBD related on that diagram, but should someone with schems pipe up and verify the fuse is on that module you now know where it is if you did not prior to.

OP
OP
AZ_whippleS550

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Found the fuse layouts in the S550 manual and I see nothing designated DLC. Guess Ford has chosen to label it something else or pull power from another fuse source rather than a designated fuse. Try checking F42 15A (vehicle power 3) and F44 15A (Vehicle power 4) as F54 20A (Aux power point). Sorry I cannot be of further help without a Mod Com Network schematic that will show the source for pin 16 on the DLC.

http://diagrams.hissind.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2016-Mustang-Owners-Manual-version-1.pdf
I checked those last night all good, hate to say it but it may have to go to the dealer I'm at a loss

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
So that leaves - 1.) pushed pin as mentioned on the OBD2 DLC port connector, an 2.) an open wire between the voltage source and pin 16 or 3.) an open to ground on the ground pin associated. However there could also be a fuse link associated with the circuit as well. But again we won't know that without someone being kind enough to post up the network coms wiring schematic so we can see.

BTW - looking at a fuse doesn't always tell the tail. more than once I have assumed a fuse was good when in fact it ended up being bad when I tested it with an ohmmeter. But again without a schematic to direct us positively to the fuse source feeding the DLC we could spend a lot of time just checking fuses.

Since you don't wish to pull out a voltmeter we can't go any further.

Good luck. and btw - you are welcome. A 'thank you' for people's time put into helping you goes a long way. Don't bother with it now though. It would be clearly insincere.

OP
OP
AZ_whippleS550

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
So that leaves - 1.) pushed pin as mentioned on the OBD2 DLC port connector, an 2.) an open wire between the voltage source and pin 16 or 3.) an open to ground on the ground pin associated. However there could also be a fuse link associated with the circuit as well. But again we won't know that without someone being kind enough to post up the network coms wiring schematic so we can see.

BTW - looking at a fuse doesn't always tell the tail. more than once I have assumed a fuse was good when in fact it ended up being bad when I tested it with an ohmmeter. But again without a schematic to direct us positively to the fuse source feeding the DLC we could spend a lot of time just checking fuses.

Since you don't wish to pull out a voltmeter we can't go any further.

Good luck. and btw - you are welcome. A 'thank you' for people's time put into helping you goes a long way. Don't bother with it now though. It would be clearly insincere.
No intention on being rude sorry, but I did do more than just look at the fuses i also switched them out with new fuses to be sure. I am trying to get a voltmeter that I can borrow because I do not own one. I think I found the pin out and voltage ranges the pins should show so checking that would be my next option I just havent decided I want to do that or go to the dealer and hope they can have it done in a timely manor.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZ_whippleS550

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Just in case anyone has a similar issue I did end finding a fuse that was not blown but completely missing, fuse 15 under the dash listed as gateway module.

spydrhawk26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious to the outcome of this as well. I have a Blackvue dashcam that I previously had installed in my '18 ecoboost using the OBD2 to power my Power Magic EZ module. I've since upgraded to a '20 GT and the PMEZ will no longer work on the GT. I've tested the module on another vehicle (toyota corolla) and it powers up fine so it's not the module. I don't understand why it won't work on a similar car to my Eco. The only thing that's really different that I can imagine is that this new vehicle has a 4G LTE modem...maybe there are more underlying differences to accommodate the constant power draw for the modem?

OP
OP
AZ_whippleS550

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Did you check to make sure fuse 15 in the under dash fuse box was there? That’s what my issue was.

spydrhawk26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Did you check to make sure fuse 15 in the under dash fuse box was there? That’s what my issue was.
15 under the dash is for SYNC gauges for me. Not sure what I should be looking for.

OP
OP
AZ_whippleS550

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
15 under the dash is for SYNC gauges for me. Not sure what I should be looking for.
Had to look at a 2020 owners manual but its changed try fuse 29 Still on the inside fuse box
Sponsored