20,000 miles and no PPF??

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Iā€™ve got LFG and it hides things quite well. At 57 Iā€™m no longer anal about trying to keep a car or bike pristine. I clean and wax it as best I can, and maybe once a year use some light polish on it but thatā€™s it.

LR170Shelby350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Is there a source for buying the PPF? Does it come pre-cut to just apply? Clearly I don't have any information on this. I just bought my GT350R and am interested in adding this to protect it from road rash.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I just turned 30,000 miles and have no PPF on any rear panels, I have the front covered to about 10" past the headlamp lenses. I run 305's in the front and 325's in the rear and the sides and in front of the rear tires look like new, zero hits of any kind. I spent the first 2 years driving in major highway construction, which took it's toll on the front PPF, there are a few good impacts. The factory protection at the wheel wells does a great job protecting the sides of the car. I don't understand where people complain the sides get beat up, unless they do a lot of driving on gravel roads.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Is there a source for buying the PPF? Does it come pre-cut to just apply? Clearly I don't have any information on this. I just bought my GT350R and am interested in adding this to protect it from road rash.
Xpel has pre cut kits. At minimum especially an the R get the rocker and rear impact kit. Do yourself a favor though, you just spend $70k, pay a professional to install it. Rear impact kit should run you $500 or less installed. I think I paid $750 for my front bumper, mirrors, rocker and rear impact kit.

Get the jaeger broā€™s splash guards ASAP too.

Sponsored

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Got the front mud flaps coming at the end of the week. Shouldnā€™t that protect the rear panels?
they do help a ton yes, problem is when you turn, these tires still tend to sling rocks and the guards donā€™t always catch them. Rear impact area is a cheap kit. $500 or less installed

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I think it really depends on where you live and where youā€™re going to drive. All of my sports cars were driven on local roads for the most part and they are in pretty good condition overall. They have all fared well with virtually no chips on them since the roads are well-maintained and I only drive them during warmer times when the potholes have been fixed. My daily driver however is a highway car and that thing is completely destroyed in the front from all the rock chips it looks like itā€™s been sandblasted.
I wonder where in NJ good roads? Ether you driving it very carefully or your car mostly in garage. Even if you not driving behind other cars, the rear fenders got rock chips from front wheels. I glad that I decided to do a PPF on my GT350. But I do spirited driving. We have NJ GT350 group of 30 people and we drive the cars like they meant to be. All of us have chips around the car including front, roof, fenders, windshield. The paint on GT350 is very poorly and cheaply done.

Last edited:

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Dave, makes a great point. Psst, even your buddies can unknowingly do your car harm when your traveling behind them and they got sticky tires. Picture a group of corvette/GT3 /Gt350 in a group with cup or sticky tires flinging every little pebble they catch. Iā€™d want to be the lead driver in that group haha
Exactly. In my group when I'm driving behind GT350R with Cup2s tires which even stickier than non R, I got five chips in 20 min.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
they do help a ton yes, problem is when you turn, these tires still tend to sling rocks and the guards donā€™t always catch them. Rear impact area is a cheap kit. $500 or less installed
You are so correct dom418, I got my RR, 19, GT-350 back from the body shop after getting the stripes painted on and the
young man who did the job pointed out the stone chips in front of both rear tires. I installed the jaeger broā€™s splash guards
at 1200 miles. Probably 1200 miles too late. He also said that when "Prepping" this vehicle that the paint and clear coat was very
thin on the front and rear bumper covers.

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I agree these MPSC2 tires fling rocks. But I have had the front rock guards since new and no issues yet. I find the worse case is traveling at highway speed where trucks throw rocks and you get them at high speed. I take evasive maneuvers (long before I get too close) when I see trucks, trailers and the bubba pickup with beer cans launching from the bed.

I pray for the day then the Deflector Shield becomes an automotive reality. Until then.... KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!
Riding motorcycles for 45 years has taught me many things, one is to look way ahead so there are no surprises and another is to steer clear of those trucks that look like something is going to jump out of the bed. Also riding next to an 18 wheeler is a very bad idea. Many years ago while riding next to a big rig when it had a tire separation. Probably 20 pounds of tire tread flew right over my head.
The Mrs and I make a game of identifying those that will make moves before they know they will, if that makes sense. Weā€™re right probably 90% of the time.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I had that happen once too on a motorcycle, a retread tire popped on a semi that I had got boxed into on I-81 next to me.....it was in the right lane, a tire popped off like an explosion and I ducked while the carcass of it flew over my head.......had it hit me it would have killed me. It hit the car behind me and smashed the windshield.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my own PPF, only paid about 350 for the kit ... front bumper, lights, rear quarter panels . I bought 3M, and it was a mistake. Horrible plastic, hard to stretch and leaves a zillion bubbles behind. Next time I will do Xpel, had that on my previous Track Pack and it was way nicer looking and easier to install.
I recommend the Xpel kit, it's pretty good.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm contemplating the Xpel PPF and Ceramic over the top of that myself. It's a good investment and even without the ceramic the ppf seems to make cleaning easier.
On a side note for all of you motorcycle guys..I was reading a thread in the convertible section of guys having close calls on motorcycles and decided to get a vert instead for that open air feel.
I give you all credit for doing it, I don't know if I could ride a motorcycle in today's smart phone world of horrible drivers...

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Fair statement about riding today.
I take no pleasure riding in a big cities. Give me twisty mountain roads and Iā€™m happy.
Chances are Iā€™m giving up riding pretty soon. The Mrs has had two knee replacements and neither one of us folds up like we used to. Looks like the bike is going to my son ;-)

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
18 GT350. No PPF and at 5200 miles. Just a weekend car or when I have time to drive it. Still looks pretty much like It did when I drove it off the show room floor. I'm sure it has some imperfections, just nothing really noticeable. Still enjoy it as much as I did when I brought her home.
Sponsored