Anyone regret getting a manual?

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
2015-2019 Mustang V6/GT/ECOBOOST SHIFTER SUPPORT KIT - V2 has made me a happy camper with this transmission. No more wobbly factory shifter and haven't been locked out yet in any gear. Still on factory fluid. Works fine in my cold climate. I also installed a Steeda clutch spring. Made the clutch feel a just bit heavier for feel which I like. I just don't realize it's there now. lol Stock clutch spring feel wasn't too bad also imho.
Sponsored

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I'll throw in my $0.02... I've had three other Mustangs, an '85 GT, '95 V6, and a '94 Cobra. They were all manual, and those transmissions were all bulletproof and confidence inspiring. Not once in several hundred thousand miles did I ever have a reason to doubt them. If The Terminator drove any of those three, he would break his arm power-shifting before a T5 let go.

The MT82 is exactly what it is: cost savings cheapness with a long history of problems. Only now, after 8K miles and BG Syncroshift, does it get upgraded from a D+ to a solid C-.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Did they change something for 2020? I love the way my car shifts. Nice firm action, tactile engagement, not too harsh or too loose.

The vast majority of my driving miles have been in manual transmission cars and this version of the MT82 is one of my favorites. I liked the one in my 2011 too but this one is just crisper all around.

I should also note that either version of the MT82s I’ve owned have been 10x better than the one in my 2017 WRX.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
no lol I will never buy an automatic again. So boring
You can fix all the MT82 problems with a short throw (boomba), energy suspension bushing and steeda positive shift bushing.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
No regrets..I really.like the interactive driving experience with a manual.... especially when that manual is behind a 460 HP Coyote that winds to 7500 RPM.
Crank it to 11.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Not one bit. If someone offered me a choice between a GT500 and a supercharger for my car, I'd take the supercharger. Shifting is half the fun.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Did they change something for 2020? I love the way my car shifts. Nice firm action, tactile engagement, not too harsh or too loose.

The vast majority of my driving miles have been in manual transmission cars and this version of the MT82 is one of my favorites. I liked the one in my 2011 too but this one is just crisper all around.

I should also note that either version of the MT82s I’ve owned have been 10x better than the one in my 2017 WRX.
I absolutely agree, i love my 2020's shift feeling

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My 2019 Bullitt also shifts very nicely... but until the tranny is fully hot, which takes surprisingly longer than I expected, even in 100-deg weather. Before that, it's notchy with the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Not a big deal at all, but if it wasn't there, it'd be just about perfect. So the question is: Do any of you think it'd go away with BG Synchroshift II fluid? I read rave reviews with the previous MT-82 version, but the few folks who reported the fluid change on D4s, basically no change. But maybe it makes even a little. I plan to replace the fluid very soon, just to remove all the assembly and break-in crap. By the way, supposedly Ford now recommends this additive (via a TSB), according to Steeda, but it's the first time I see it menitoned: https://www.steeda.com/motorcraft-xl-18-mustang-mt82-transmission-additive . Comments welcome :D.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I don't regret getting a manual. It's the only one I'd get. The stock shifter & box are only ok. It's a little vague & shifts relatively slow. That will change in due time.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
other than the occasional lockouts and grinding noises, the MT82 is decent once you get a MGW shifter and BG trans fluid. I don't regret getting a manual, it's fun !

Sponsored

PistolPete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2008 Dodge Ram Hemi, 2009 Honda Accord
other than the occasional lockouts and grinding noises, the MT82 is decent once you get a MGW shifter and BG trans fluid. I don't regret getting a manual, it's fun !
So it still has the high rpm lockout with the shifter and fluid? I like the mt-82, just can't deal with the lockout. Is it a safety system kicking in? Can it be turned off via tune?

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
So it still has the high rpm lockout with the shifter and fluid? I like the mt-82, just can't deal with the lockout. Is it a safety system kicking in? Can it be turned off via tune?
My experience with MGW is limited as I've only had it for few weeks and during this period i only had one occurrence of lockout going from 1st to 2nd gear. The MGW made a huge difference in the way shifter feels, the slop is gone and shifts feel buttery smooth and crisp, precise. I regret not getting it much sooner though I've always had it on my to do list.

I ran the stock shifter with BG fluid for close to 2 years, the fluid made a slight improvement in notchiness but i had multiple instances of lockouts in multiple gears. I don't think it has anything to do with the tune or related to the safety system, maybe some who's more knowledgeable can chime in...

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The ONLY time I regret going manual is when I’m on the strip but NOT because it’s slower. Because it’s MUCH harder on the driveline. Decent power plus decent grip plus manual equals IMMENSE forces on every single part behind the crank. Breakages become part of life.
Sponsored