What kind of throttle body is best?

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
I have a base 19 gt manual. I got a e85 tune and Roush cai. My next mod is either 4.09 gears or a bigger throttle body. Only issue I’m having is what size tb should I get? I want one where I can tell the increase I got. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Vstang2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I've read that a TB is a supporting mod and doesn't do alot , although if I were to do one it would prolly be a ported stock TB from gigs performance. I've read they run better then the aftermarket. I hear 4.09 are amazing on 18+ base and am interesting in them myself. I think seat of the pants will be felt WAY more with the gears vs the TB.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Stock, or maybe even the GT350 one at most. No need for anything bigger unless you are going with a blower or Cobra Jet manifold.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Stock, or a bored/ported stock one. The GT350 TB is a nice piece too but I only recommend that if you get it with the Ford power pack tune. “Drivability” with the GT350 TB and an aftermarket tune is pretty poor in my experience.

Edit - Just noticed you have a 2019. GT350 TB isn’t an option I don’t think. Stick with stock.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Since you're a manual you'd benefit more from the gear change than an a10 and definitely more than the TB swap. If going TB with no other mod (blower etc) just go ported OEM.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
TB swap isn't really needed until you slap a blower on there, so I'd pass. Gears will make a huge difference. Buy a torsen rear end and have it re-geared instead of regearing your base trak-lok for the best gainz.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
EFI++

Stock or GT350

Why? Ford spend thousands of dollars doing "The hard work" flow testing them and has the numbers a tuner needs to make them work right. There are a lot of numbers needed to make drive by wire work right and getting those numbers can be hard if the TB mfg won't give tuners the numbers (Possibly because they didn't spend the cash themselves to get them). If we were talking about cable-driven throttles, then it's a whole different ballgame.

A good tuner can make any TB work, but it is a lot more difficult to get it perfect since they won't have access to the test equipment to get the numbers in a vacuum (e.g. testing environment where the only variable is the angle of the throttle blade).

OP
OP
Marketplaza

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I didn’t know you didn’t get any real gains by upgrading your tb. Thanks for the help, I’m now just going to go with the gears now.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Stick with the gears. I have both 4.10s and an aftermarket throttle body. The 4.10s are fun... the throttle body makes the car surge and buck, even after being tuned for it. It's best to stay with the stock throttle body to avoid drivability concerns.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
gears on a 2019 manual would be the best initial mod. if i had a manual the first thing i would do is buy shorter gears since the gen3s have really long gearing

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I just got my 2018 OEM throttle body and intake manifold ported by Bret Barber at Airflow Solutions in AZ and I reinstalled them a week and a half ago. Idles and behaves like stock with more throttle response and more power - with factory tune. I don't think you can expect much from just the addition of the ported TB alone, it needs supporting tunes to make it worth while. A K&N intake, ported TB and IM, and nice Borla S-type Catback made a nice difference on my GT.

You'll get more gains from the Borla S-type exhaust (stock 2018 GT vs same car same dyno w/ only change being the Borla S-type catback) than changing the TB, granted, it's not cheap:

I'd also suggest you do multiple mods at once...otherwise a few hp here and there likely won't be felt in the seat of the pants unless it's a bigger gain (i.e., Long tube headers w/ cat delete).
25 Stock 2018 Mustang GT vs Borla 2-X2.jpg

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I have a GPE ported stock throttle body @ 88mm. No surging and great throttle response. He removes the front bar on the blade itself and does some beautiful porting out to the edge. With E85 tune and minor exhaust the car rips.

OP
OP
Marketplaza

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I have a GPE ported stock throttle body @ 88mm. No surging and great throttle response. He removes the front bar on the blade itself and does some beautiful porting out to the edge. With E85 tune and minor exhaust the car rips.
i already have a e 85 tune and Roush cai, but I have 3.55 gears rn. If I changed them to 4.09 gears would I notice a big difference or just minimal? But if I wanna do a high cost mod it would be a sc. but down the road

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
i already have a e 85 tune and Roush cai, but I have 3.55 gears rn. If I changed them to 4.09 gears would I notice a big difference or just minimal? But if I wanna do a high cost mod it would be a sc. but down the road
Minimal actual hp gains, but peppier throttle response.

OP
OP
Marketplaza

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Minimal actual hp gains, but peppier throttle response.
Is it a noticeable difference when your stopped and hit it? Reason I ask is the total install is about 1500. I just read somewhere it gives you a lot more of the in the seat of your pants feel
Sponsored