Sponsored

Input shaft bearing failure??

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Hey guys,

Have a loud, almost like a clutch chatter noise on steroids happening with my 15 GT. Car had new McLeod RST clutch, flywheel, TOB, at 24k. The car now has 40k miles.

The car makes noise in netrual when the clutch is released, no noise with it engaged. The car is extremely loud in gears 1-4 but quites down in 5th. I'm thinking it's a shaft input bearing failure, any ideas how to diagnose before pulling the trans?
Sponsored

OP
OP
OnThree

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

Eliminated all the little things, gonna have to drop the trans now. :facepalm:

OP
OP
OnThree

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Just in case anyone finds this when searching, that noise was indeed a bad bearing inside the trans.

Getting a partial rebuild right now, then I'll throw the trans back in and then it will be headed to the closest dealership for a trade in. The MT82 and clutches these cars get from Ford are a joke

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Yep clutches for the 15-17s are made in Turkey. I had mine replaced at 19k. I had them replace everything. Clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing and tob and it still has a vibration during clutch disengagement ( clutch to the floorboard) at 1500 rpms. I am just waiting for it to go again.

OP
OP
OnThree

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Yep clutches for the 15-17s are made in Turkey. I had mine replaced at 19k. I had them replace everything. Clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing and tob and it still has a vibration during clutch disengagement ( clutch to the floorboard) at 1500 rpms. I am just waiting for it to go again.
I hear ya, my stock clutch went at 24k and then the trans at 40k. I'm not keeping the car to see what fails next lol. Next car will have a tremec though, that's all I know haha

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Hell yea on that Tremec.

My transmission was replaced as well. Said faulty synchros. I dont beat on the car. If it wasnt paid off I would dump it.

mtabers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hey onthree just to clarify, this was a bad throw out bearing or?

OP
OP
OnThree

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Hey onthree just to clarify, this was a bad throw out bearing or?
I'm about 90% sure it was transmission internals but can't say for sure as I replaced the throw out bearing at the same time.

Throw out bearings don't make any noise in netrual as they are not doing anything, they make noise when the pedal is pressed then you know the throw out bearing is bad. Mine only made noise when the clutch was not pressed. It was extremely loud when driving around and the car would vibrate at speed.

Good video below that may help

mtabers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yeah the noise I am having is very similar, I appreciate the info. How much did it cost for you to have done and what exactly was done to transmission internals? Or did you just take to a shop and they knew what was up?

OP
OP
OnThree

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Yeah the noise I am having is very similar, I appreciate the info. How much did it cost for you to have done and what exactly was done to transmission internals? Or did you just take to a shop and they knew what was up?
I had all the bearings replaced in the transmission, the input, output, and whatever else is in there. I pulled the trans myself and brought it to a guy. My throw out bearing only had 10k miles on it as I had replaced it before. I seriously doubt it was that.

It cost me about $800

Sponsored

mtabers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I had all the bearings replaced in the transmission, the input, output, and whatever else is in there. I pulled the trans myself and brought it to a guy. My throw out bearing only had 10k miles on it as I had replaced it before. I seriously doubt it was that.

It cost me about $800
Did you go OEM bearings or have any recommendations? I see on Ford parts website it lists the input, output, and counter shaft bearing - I haven't had a chance yet to research if any companies make good aftermarket ones for the stock MT82 but plan on doing exactly what you did plus new clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing. Just gotta get a trans jack from Harbor Freight and drop the trans myself. If you had any good info about the procedure that would be helpful too. I have see a few posts and videos from CJ pony parts that seem pretty helpful.

OP
OP
OnThree

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Did you go OEM bearings or have any recommendations? I see on Ford parts website it lists the input, output, and counter shaft bearing - I haven't had a chance yet to research if any companies make good aftermarket ones for the stock MT82 but plan on doing exactly what you did plus new clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing. Just gotta get a trans jack from Harbor Freight and drop the trans myself. If you had any good info about the procedure that would be helpful too. I have see a few posts and videos from CJ pony parts that seem pretty helpful.
Tbh, I'm not sure. I didn't really care what the shop did to it. I was fed up with the car and just wanted it gone by that point. I'm assuming they just used OEM stuff.

Pretty straight forward job, the only tough part is the top two bellhousing bolts. People say to get them from the bottom with a 3 foot extension and swivel socket but you're just asking to round off a bolt doing it like that. I ended up just pulling the intake manifold and then there's plenty of room to get those bolts. The rest of it's pretty straight forward.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just in case anyone finds this when searching, that noise was indeed a bad bearing inside the trans.

Getting a partial rebuild right now, then I'll throw the trans back in and then it will be headed to the closest dealership for a trade in. The MT82 and clutches these cars get from Ford are a joke
I know this is an old thread, but I’m curious to know if you pulled the dust covers on your bearings to have a look underneath? If so, what did the grease look like (thin, lack of grease or thick and intact)?
Sponsored