2019 GT - MT82 weird sound question.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Damn, there are A LOT of freaking noises and crap we need to get used to. First, the infamous 'tick', which sounds very troublesome to me, but so far my car hasn't made it (yet. Ha ha). Then I learned about the damn 2K rattle, which of course my car has, but didn't notice it before due to the exhaust noise and stereo. Hope it's not detrimental in any way. Then this clutch issue, which I still don't know if I have it or not because haven't gone above 4.5K rpm or so. I'm feeling better there's a way to eliminate it, but would like to know what exactly is it, and if it's detrimental to the clutch and/or tranny or not. I don't apply throttle until clutch is out (just a fraction of a second behind), so maybe my driving style will be conducive to avoid that grinding noise. We'll see :). Hope that's the end of bad news with issues, but after owning several Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs, etc., this is one of the best powetrains I've had the pleasure of driving. It's just that Ford needs to get its act together, and get QC under control. Without issues, it's probably the best performance bang for the buck by far.
The tick never bothered me much but the 2k rpm rattle is loud at times and sometimes it's almost unnoticeable. As for the clutch issue, I figured out that letting go of the clutch and giving a slight pause before applying throttle can mostly avoid this noise. I was able to record it yesterday so will be taking it to the dealer this week to have them look at it. I'm almost certain they'll say i don't know how to drive lol or ask why i'm shifting at high RPMs

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks a lot for that video. Man, that sounds nasty. Took the car for a 400-mile mountain day ride today, and my engine is probably ready for higher rpm operation, at 800+ miles on the clock. I had to suddenly downshift to 2nd (around 5K rpm, with a proper throttle blip) today when faced stopped traffic on the highway, and I could swear I heard that noise. Does it happen on downshifts too? If yes, how do you get around that? But the better question is what the hell is making that noise? I certainly don't like that. Never before I had any of that, even when completing the shift under throttle. It's jerky if you do that, but never a noise. Oh well. At least there seems to be a cure. I typically apply throttle a fraction of a second after releasing clutch anyway, so we'll see if it happens to me or not. Sounds really nasty, so that can't be good for the clutch. Is it hitting something? It has to be the 'new' dual-disc clutch and/or dual-mass flywheel, but how exactly?

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
Thanks a lot for that video. Man, that sounds nasty. Took the car for a 400-mile mountain day ride today, and my engine is probably ready for higher rpm operation, at 800+ miles on the clock. I had to suddenly downshift to 2nd (around 5K rpm, with a proper throttle blip) today when faced stopped traffic on the highway, and I could swear I heard that noise. Does it happen on downshifts too? If yes, how do you get around that? But the better question is what the hell is making that noise? I certainly don't like that. Never before I had any of that, even when completing the shift under throttle. It's jerky if you do that, but never a noise. Oh well. At least there seems to be a cure. I typically apply throttle a fraction of a second after releasing clutch anyway, so we'll see if it happens to me or not. Sounds really nasty, so that can't be good for the clutch. Is it hitting something? It has to be the 'new' dual-disc clutch and/or dual-mass flywheel, but how exactly?
Going through the other thread, it looks like many have this noise. Someone had the flywheel inspected and his clutch was also about to be replaced until Ford stepped in and denied saying it's normal. I'm thinking all 2018+ cars have it because of the dual-disc clutch. The only cure i've found is release the clutch completely and wait a bit before i apply the throttle, but that defeats the whole purpose of spirited driving. I usually apply throttle as soon as i let go of the clutch, so i guess i have to change my driving style and drive the car slowly lol

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm talking about a small fraction of a second, which is the smoothest way to shift... but might not be enough to avoid that nasty noise. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Ha ha. At any rate, if you want to drive spiritedly, and be a bit jerky if needed, you shouldn't have to deal with that nasty noise. Man, I just keep getting bad news on this car. Ha ha. First, oil consumption. Then the 2K-rpm rattle. Then the tick. Then that you might be locked out of gears. And now if you're not, you'll be greeted with a nasty grind. Oh well. So far I for sure have the 2K rattle, and seems like I dodged the oil consumption 'bullitt', since there's basically none in 800 miles so far. We'll see about the possible tranny issues soon. Thank you for your great input.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
I'm talking about a small fraction of a second, which is the smoothest way to shift... but might not be enough to avoid that nasty noise. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Ha ha. At any rate, if you want to drive spiritedly, and be a bit jerky if needed, you shouldn't have to deal with that nasty noise. Man, I just keep getting bad news on this car. Ha ha. First, oil consumption. Then the 2K-rpm rattle. Then the tick. Then that you might be locked out of gears. And now if you're not, you'll be greeted with a nasty grind. Oh well. So far I for sure have the 2K rattle, and seems like I dodged the oil consumption 'bullitt', since there's basically none in 800 miles so far. We'll see about the possible tranny issues soon. Thank you for your great input.
No problem. I know what you feel like since i was in the same boat 2 years ago lol. I got my car new and back then everyone was going crazy about the tick and 2k rpm rattle, shift forks breaking, buybacks etc. Not surprisingly mine had both those issues and i was very paranoid. I think mine was built same month when they started upgrading the shift forks. During my first oil change, mentioned the tick and rattle issues to the dealership; they said it was normal and later Ford came out with a TSB. Since then I've stopped looking at those threads and made peace thinking i have warranty to take care. 2 years and 24k miles later, my car is still going strong with no issues, i only change engine oil every 5 to 6k miles. I finally also got a E85 tune few months ago.. The tranny issues well I've had multiple lockouts and those grind noises. I got a MGW X-Spec few weeks ago which improved the shifter feel a lot, a must do really if you have a manual transmission. It feels like buttery smooth and crisp, precise shifts. I might sell my car next year and upgrade to the Mach 1 if possible but i still love my car and enjoying it every day i drive it!

Sponsored

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Guys- I'll offer what I can. I have noticed what I would call a high-pitched rattle sound at the higher rpms when really getting on it hard from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. For me its not a grind- and no feel in the clutch peddle. It almost sounds like a thin piece of metal rattling. I have written it off as normal. since it isn't getting any worse and there is no grind at all. Also, I only hear it with the windows down and something like a sound wall on the freeway reflecting the sound back to me.

One note about shifting technique- this took me a while to figure out...This is normal shifting- not banging gears, etc. If you start your shift in the middle of the shift zone, 4Krpms where you let off the gas, then shift and apply NO gas pedal and let the clutch out- it will shift as smooth as a baby's arse. Anytime I applied gas in the shift it always seemed to be a little of a jerk no matter what