Active Exhaust "Airy" sound w/ H-Pipe

Guitar00Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Hello everyone. I had an H-Pipe installed on my '19 GT that has Active Exhaust. Anyone else that has a similar setup, does your exhaust note sound "airy" when accelerating? I think it may have something to do with the sound coming through the active valve. I thought it was an exhaust leak at first, but the noise I am describing is more noticeable the more open the valve is in each mode. Maybe it's a characteristic of the Gen 3 and the active exhaust, but I figured I would see if anyone else thinks their car sounds this way. Thanks!

P.S. I did not notice this before adding the H-Pipe.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I had this same noise and it was in fact an exhaust leak around the clamps of my new h pipe. High temp rtv and applying the clamps over it sealed it off. The reason there were differences in sound were due to the backpressure differences of each mode IMO. This was the case for me anyhow

OP
OP
Guitar00Dude

Guitar00Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I had this same noise and it was in fact an exhaust leak around the clamps of my new h pipe. High temp rtv and applying the clamps over it sealed it off. The reason there were differences in sound were due to the backpressure differences of each mode IMO. This was the case for me anyhow
Thank you FruityJudy. It certainly sounds like a usual "leak". I'll take it back to the shop I had it installed at and see what they can do.

Armageddon Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Twin Turbo 2014 Mustang GT

I agree, Likely this.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Seconded for a leak at the joints, likely at the back end. Depending on the brand you got, it's probably joined tip-to-tip with a sleeve clamp. That's going to leak a little no matter how tight you clamp it or push the pipes together. I took mine apart, bought new sleeve clamps just to be safe, gooped the pipes up with Permatex exhaust sealant, and cranked the clamps down past spec. Haven't had an issue since.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Guitar00Dude

Guitar00Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Seconded for a leak at the joints, likely at the back end. Depending on the brand you got, it's probably joined tip-to-tip with a sleeve clamp. That's going to leak a little no matter how tight you clamp it or push the pipes together. I took mine apart, bought new sleeve clamps just to be safe, gooped the pipes up with Permatex exhaust sealant, and cranked the clamps down past spec. Haven't had an issue since.
The shop I take it back to will probably recommend welding the h pipe. Think this is overkill?

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
The shop I take it back to will probably recommend welding the h pipe. Think this is overkill?
For me it would be because I did it myself. If that's what they want to do then fine, just make sure that you're happy with the alignment of your tips because once that's on there....it's on there for good. I think they'd have to pull off the H and both muffler pipes to weld everything around? So if it's aligned properly now, make sure they mark it so it's welded with the correct alignment.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I would be sure your H pipe is on correctly too. Mine is the Roush and it has a slight bend where it joins the axel back portion on the right side (passenger side). I'm sure that would cause leak issues if backwards.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Not at all. I had the exact same problem with my Steeda H pipe install, slight leak no matter how tight I torqued the clamp. Also noticed the exhaust tips would start rotating and looking off. Ended up removing the clamps and welded the exhaust. No more movement or leaks.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Sounds like a leak. With the H pipe it should sound real nice.
Sponsored