Sponsored

Mustang Bullitt 18-20 stock exhaust question

TANKS90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Gt
What makes the exhaust sound so deep on the bullitt compared to a 15-20 GT? I would love to replicate that sound on my GT
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Bullitts are 2019 or 2020s, as an FYI :D. I bought one mostly due to that. I HATE how most Mustangs sound. When I heard a Bullitt, I said to myself 'this has to be the best sounding V8 I've heard', and turns out it was stock. And you have 4 mods to play with, and all 4 sound really good. I mostly use sport and quiet.

To answer your question, supposedly Ford did 'special exhaust tuning' for the Bullitt, but nobody found any evidence of that. Seems like the exhaust p/n is exactly the same as a GT with AE, but didn't check it myself. If that's the case, the only other differences with a GT are the GT350 intake, the larger throttle body, and CAI open intake. So it'd have to be that. If I were you, I'd start checking the AE part numbers again, to see for yourself if indeed the entire exhaust is the same. Keep us posted.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I can echo what @Elp_jc said in that 1st paragraph. I also wouldn't doubt if the tune plays a role in the sound as well. Whatever they did, props to Ford for what I and many others (on YT videos) have said is one of the best sounding V8's of all time. Subjective of course but I agree.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Tune. same active exhaust I believe.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Tune. same active exhaust I believe.
That's an option too yes. Ask the tuner to put the Sport+ throttle map onto the Normal map so they're the same.

Edit - just realize I think GreenS550 is responding to the OP's question, not mine and ELP's throttle concern in Normal.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
What makes the exhaust sound so deep on the bullitt compared to a 15-20 GT? I would love to replicate that sound on my GT
15-20 GT is too broad year range when discussing stock exhaust tone on Mustang GTs. The 2018+ GT exhaust sounds MUCH better than the 15-17 GT stock exhaust. 18+ is also quite a bit louder as well.

Pruitttands

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tracy
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt, 2019 bullitt
Here is the pn from my 2019 bullitt resonator. Has a b on the end but with an h pipe i still have the burble going on just louder
20200612_133852.jpg

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I think the sound also comes from the different intake system passing the sound through along with the Bullitt tune. I have both the Bullitt and the GT. Stock to stock the Bullitt sounded better in my opinion. !

muzzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2017 F250 KR
I think the sound also comes from the different intake system passing the sound through along with the Bullitt tune. I have both the Bullitt and the GT. Stock to stock the Bullitt sounded better in my opinion. !
it does sound different from the GT. That sound sold me on the Bullitt.

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
I would love to know exactly what the differences are as well. I agree, IMO the Bullitt has the best sounding V8 ever and would LOVE to get that sound on my 2019 GT if possible. But I'd rather know exactly what to do, rather than take an (expensive) stab in the dark by changing this and that to see what worked and what didn't!

I don't see how a tune could lower your exhaust note, so I would hazard a guess that it would be due to the 350 intake manifold.

Definitely interested in replicating that sound if we knew exactly how it could be achieved however :)

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Edited post: Well someone had a stick up their back side over my generalization so here is the condensed version: Here is a kit that gives the GT the Bullitt parts if you are interested. https://www.steeda.com/ford-performance-m-9603-m8b-s550-calibration-intake-kit

If you want answer to the why it sounds different look at the post below this one he would know he wrote the book :) literally

Last edited:

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
According to the Ford engineers I interviewed for my just-released book on all 3 Mustang Bullitts, the following combination is what gives the sound - the open air element plus the resonator and mufflers packed slight differently than on the GT plus the active exhaust tuning.

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
According to the Ford engineers I interviewed for my just-released book on all 3 Mustang Bullitts, the following combination is what gives the sound - the open air element plus the resonator and mufflers packed slight differently than on the GT plus the active exhaust tuning.
I would be very surprised if the 350 manifold didn't make any difference in sound.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
OK so as far as I know (i have a gt premium with active exhaust and the 4 modes) the exhausts are the same. NOw if you want that sound and the only difference can be a tune and the gt350 parts then the ford performance calibration kit for the gt is what you would want to get as it adds a tune 19hp and 42 lbs of torque and it ads the gt350 throttle body and intake. I put it on my car and its sounds a bit louder deeper but I also have a borla switch fire on. but if you think its the parts and tune then thats your bet to get the sound you want and still stay oem and under warranty. this is one place to find it but can get it other places cheaper. https://www.steeda.com/ford-performance-m-9603-m8b-s550-calibration-intake-kit basically makes the gt actually slightly better then the bullitt same hp but 462 lbs torque compared to the bullitts 420 and they both have 480hp with kit.
Correction: It does not increase the peak torque from 420 to 462 ft-lbs. The peak torque of 420 ft-lbs occurs at 4600 rpm. The Ford kit increases torque by 42 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm. The GT and Bullitt only makes like 275 ft-lbs give or take at that engine rpm, so it would add 42 ft-lb to whatever the engine makes at that rpm. The curve shows that peak gains are increased by 19 hp (from 460 to 479 hp) and 18 ft-lbs torque (from 420 ft-lbs to 438 ft-lbs). A nice gain, but certainly not 42 ft-lbs peak to peak.

Any advertised hp or torque gain that doesn't say "peak hp gain" is only talking about the max gain on the curve, and is not equal to peak gain. There's a difference, so watch that closely when you buy mods in the future so you don't feel duped.

These theories that the GT350 intake will change the exhaust tone, I'm not buying. The Bullitt exhaust is likely slightly different from the GT exhaust, and thus, slightly different tone.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The engine tune has no effect on sound... but the AE 'tune' for sure would, meaning the valves open differently... but track mode would sound the same, since they're wide open, with no movement. The intake doesn't affect exhaust sound... but it does affect engine sound. I think the sound people perceive is a combination of both. Anyway, if mufflers and resonators are different on the Bullitt, they must have a different p/n. Easy to check :D.

Finally, remember GTs have intake sound tubes into the cabin, and Bullitts have fake sound thru the speakers, so unless both are eliminated (former by removal/plugging, and latter by disabling it with FORScan), you wouldn't be comparing apples to apples :). I disabled mine, and honestly didn't need it at all.
Sponsored