honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The biggest risk is that it 100% voids the warranty on the engine if you get a tune. I know there's a sensor add-on that can do it without the need for a tune, but they had some growing pains. Not sure where it's at now.

If you want to assume the risk of dealing with an engine issue on your own dime, E85 is awesome in this car. Picks up 20 or so HP and 35 or so in the midrange. Plus, if you track your car, 104 octane fuel for like $2.30 a gallon. Hell yeah!

OP
OP
526 HRSE

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest risk is that it 100% voids the warranty on the engine if you get a tune. I know there's a sensor add-on that can do it without the need for a tune, but they had some growing pains. Not sure where it's at now.

If you want to assume the risk of dealing with an engine issue on your own dime, E85 is awesome in this car. Picks up 20 or so HP and 35 or so in the midrange. Plus, if you track your car, 104 octane fuel for like $2.30 a gallon. Hell yeah!
I am on an extended warranty now. Any known issues it's caused?

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Following. I'm in a similar boat. 2017 with 26k miles and around one year left on my factory powertrain warranty. I have an extended warranty through a third party but am thinking of biting the bullet once the OE powertrain warranty expires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
526 HRSE

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I guess there's not many here that have tried this.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I don't think anyone will deny that tuning these cars with E85 reaps big rewards. The 5.2 seems to love this fuel, Ford should have made this flex fuel to begin with. Problem is like others have said should you have a problem even if the tune played no part there is a good chance you will void your engine's warranty. The chance that you will have a problem are slim but still there. Personally looking at some of these 485+ rwhp and improved low-end power increases, it sure is tempting.

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I guess there's not many here that have tried this.
Before you even get e85 tune, make sure there is enough around you and if its worth traveling for the e85, also a tune does not void your warranty , I asked my delerand they said they service cars with tunes all the time and that I shoud'nt worry, only if I add a supercharger (not from roush) or a turbocharger then for sure I will void it or if I change the pistons (Outside of ford performance), so you should be good, but ask around your dealers first to see if anyone is willing to help you out!

OP
OP
526 HRSE

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Before you even get e85 tune, make sure there is enough around you and if its worth traveling for the e85, also a tune does not void your warranty , I asked my delerand they said they service cars with tunes all the time and that I shoud'nt worry, only if I add a supercharger (not from roush) or a turbocharger then for sure I will void it or if I change the pistons (Outside of ford performance), so you should be good, but ask around your dealers first to see if anyone is willing to help you out!
There are a good amount of stations that have e85 which are close. 1 in particular is only a couple miles down the road.

If i'm understanding this correct, i would just need to install this and i can run e85 or any mixture of 91 and e85. If i want to reap the best benefits i would then have to get an appropriate tune? I am in the Republic of Kalifornia so i'm not sure if that makes any difference. I think i read that Lund tunes are out?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIiNS-89Kb6gIVfz6tBh1x7QvmEAQYASABEgLrhvD_BwE

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
There are a good amount of stations that have e85 which are close. 1 in particular is only a couple miles down the road.

If i'm understanding this correct, i would just need to install this and i can run e85 or any mixture of 91 and e85. If i want to reap the best benefits i would then have to get an appropriate tune? I am in the Republic of Kalifornia so i'm not sure if that makes any difference. I think i read that Lund tunes are out?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIiNS-89Kb6gIVfz6tBh1x7QvmEAQYASABEgLrhvD_BwE
i'm running the proflex commander. works well. so convenient. now i dont know you'll get their advertised 51rwhp but the unit works pretty good.

Sponsored
OP
OP
526 HRSE

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
i'm running the proflex commander. works well. so convenient. now i dont know you'll get their advertised 51rwhp but the unit works pretty good.
Thanks, I was reading through your thread a little bit earlier. Did you just plug and play or did you have to add a tune afterwards? Are you the one who was saying that it reduced the pops but added backfires?

"Right out of the box, you have the ability to run E85, gasoline, or any blend of the two seamlessly, without additional tuning or the need to switch maps. All of the PROFLEX Commander components are engineered with the highest quality standards-"

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I was reading through your thread a little bit earlier. Did you just plug and play or did you have to add a tune afterwards? Are you the one who was saying that it reduced the pops but added backfires?

"Right out of the box, you have the ability to run E85, gasoline, or any blend of the two seamlessly, without additional tuning or the need to switch maps. All of the PROFLEX Commander components are engineered with the highest quality standards-"
it is about as simple as can be. install took me about 1.5 hrs (taking my time) and that's it. go fill up e85. any variation of 91 and e85. dont matter. get the app on your phone for real-time ethanol content. no tune needed. feel free to message me too.

good article here: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/afd-cracked-code-extracting-30-hp-e85/

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Good advice about making sure there is E85 near you.
A tune may not automatically void your warranty, however if your engine would go pop for whatever reason, the likelihood of getting it warranted goes down dramatically.
Fact.

drc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 2015 Mustang GT- Sold
I have a 2019 GT350...had Brenspeed install Kooks Headers, catted x-pipe, JLT intake and Lund 93, Flex Fuel, and E85 race tune. On E85, throttle response is much more aggressive and car is much quicker than stock or 93. Happy I did it...

The only thing that I don't like is the cold start on FF or E85. It's rough for about 10-15 secs. I've read this is normal/typical...I guess it has something to do with how E85 ignites/burns when the engine is cold. Once the car is warm, starts as normal on E85.

I also have a general question- Does anyone run their GT350 on E85 continuously or do you switch back and forth to 93?

BTW- Filled up with E85 at local Thornton's and NGauge says alc% is 90? First time thats happened.

OP
OP
526 HRSE

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 GT350...had Brenspeed install Kooks Headers, catted x-pipe, JLT intake and Lund 93, Flex Fuel, and E85 race tune. On E85, throttle response is much more aggressive and car is much quicker than stock or 93. Happy I did it...

The only thing that I don't like is the cold start on FF or E85. It's rough for about 10-15 secs. I've read this is normal/typical...I guess it has something to do with how E85 ignites/burns when the engine is cold. Once the car is warm, starts as normal on E85.

I also have a general question- Does anyone run their GT350 on E85 continuously or do you switch back and forth to 93?

BTW- Filled up with E85 at local Thornton's and NGauge says alc% is 90? First time thats happened.
Throttle response in "normal or sport" mode? Or in drag mode?
Sponsored