Spark plugs for e85

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Time for me to replace plugs, what's recommend for high rpm na cars on e85. Plug recommendation, and gap. As I mechanic that works primarily on Fords I prefer to use motorcraft. But that's on stock trucks, I'm sure there is something out there that is better with e85. Thoughts?
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Currently the best spark plug made is the NGK Ruthenium NX. LT6AHX is the part number for the Coyote. This is the stock heat range, and correct for NA gas or E85. Alcohol burns cooler than gasoline, so you want the stock heat range. Unfortunately, they don't make the one step colder plug for FI motors in the Ruthenium.

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 50 Years LE #1523
I’m curious to know what the benefit is to running and aftermarket plug, even one that’s the “best”.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Durability and flame front. Check out NGK's website on the differences.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Currently the best spark plug made is the NGK Ruthenium NX. LT6AHX is the part number for the Coyote. This is the stock heat range, and correct for NA gas or E85. Alcohol burns cooler than gasoline, so you want the stock heat range. Unfortunately, they don't make the one step colder plug for FI motors in the Ruthenium.
"LTR7BHX is the Ruthenium equivalent 1 step colder in all specs except gap and ground tip design. It is gapped at .032 LTR6AHX is gapped at .044. The ground is the prefered type for a boosted engine, projected square platinum
(PSPE). The most we recommend for changing the gap is .008, more than .008 the ground electrode may be stressed."

This is what NGK replied to me with a few months ago. You may have already know by now, but they do have a 1 step colder Ruthenium plug.

Im interested in peoples experiences with running the ruthenium plugs vs iridium.