Sponsored

2018 GT PP2 Rear Differential Overheating Issue

Kmp013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 1990 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 4X4 1971 Chevrolet C20
One thing I do at my track days is use this fan to cool the differential. I just set it at the back of the car and have it blow on the differential. I just use this fan because my wife has over 50 of them for her company,
Fan.png

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
+1 for BG fluid and exhaust wrap. Myself and many others have found that to work for 20-30 minute sessions.
My recipe is exhaust wrap, 140W, and a temp sticker from Optimum Performance.

I think the viscosity is more important than the brand. And to change it every couple of track days.

I also put two wheel chocks behind the rear tires at my trackside parking space. At the end of each session I back up to those, and then turn on a Lowe's battery shop fan put right up near the diff. At the end of each session the wheel chocks allow me to return to the exact same proximity of the fan. All I have to do is remember to pull forward and turn off the fan at the start of the next session.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
My recipe is exhaust wrap, 140W, and a temp sticker from Optimum Performance.

I think the viscosity is more important than the brand. And to change it every couple of track days.

I also put two wheel chocks behind the rear tires at my trackside parking space. At the end of each session I back up to those, and then turn on a Lowe's battery shop fan put right up near the diff. At the end of each session the wheel chocks allow me to return to the exact same proximity of the fan. All I have to do is remember to pull forward and turn off the fan at the start of the next session.
I just got the Ryobi misting fan to try out the same but with water added to the cooling process. I have to backup on ramps to get it under the diff. At one track I have access to a hose usually but need to figure out another way to get the water since the fan won't fit on top of a bucket under the car. If anyone else has used this setup and figured something out please share.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Why not have a real diff cooler? It isn't that hard. I did not even have to plumb into the spare tire well. I repurposed the oe a10 trans cooler. I could have gone much more extreme too.
20200517_153421.jpg
20200517_153359.jpg

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Why not have a real diff cooler? It isn't that hard. I did not even have to plumb into the spare tire well. I repurposed the oe a10 trans cooler. I could have gone much more extreme too.
At some point I may go that route but I'm not putting the time and money in when so far exhaust wrap and fluid change has kept mine to only one temp warning (not full limp mode) so far. If the misting fan works to cool it down between sessions then I'm good for a while longer.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
20200517_153421.jpg
20200517_153359.jpg
What is your temperature drop with that setup?

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
No clue! Light does not come on=win.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Is there a fan on your diff cooler or it's just passive? Looks like it's passive
Vorschlag did testing with passive cooling and with a fan, and Terry determined he needed the fan, . That setup looks passive, it's pretty slick and I bet it works for HPDE at most of our levels.

I am usually good for my first 30 minute session , and get a warning about 28 minutes into the second , then maybe like 26 into the third , ect ( Summit Main in 90+ degree weather) ... After that I pit in around 15 minutes , drive through the paddock and get back out on track .

I have 140 fluid , wrapped pipes . I am going to try the Ryobi under the diff next time.

I "probably" should get a cooler , but my current plan is still to change platforms to a Z51 C7 ( cooler included !! ) . Though that urge has been slightly waning recently .

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Vorschlag did testing y .
It's what's called development. Because there is maybe 1 or 2 tested kits everyone else is doing their own thing with various results. you can't say that it must be passive or active. It's all about how much heat you need to reject and how to achieve that. Terry is a good guy. He also runs in pretty high ambient temps in TX. I'm supposed to race this weekend but it is going to be 104F. I try not to race above 80F! Screw 104! I'm going to do some sporting clays this weekend instead. But it would have been a real test of my overall cooling upgrades motor,A10, and diff.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
you can't say that it must be passive or active.
Agree , that was why I said Terry said "he" required a fan ;) . Your setup would probably work for most of us.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
is that a street driven car too? seems like if your not running the pump all the fluid would drain out of the cooler and into the diff (causing more losses), but its hard to tell how far the return line is up on the diff.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I DD my FTBR diff cooler with pump off and no issues after 1000 miles including towing my trailer to/from the track.

Max temp I see at track is around 220f with pump and fan on. but I’m still not fully pouring the coals to her due to coolant and engine oil temps shutting down the fun early.

interested to see max diff temps once I can fully wring it’s neck.

overall pleased with the kit, but the diff R&i is a bitch on jacks

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
Hi everyone,

I know this has been covered in other threads a bit, but I thought I would create a thread dedicated to this topic.

I tracked my 2018 GT PP2 this past weekend. The ambient temps were warm - probably around 90 degrees.

I was able to do 3-5 laps before the rear differential temperature warning came on. I'm looking to correct this issue, and am looking for insight/feedback. So far, I've seen the following ideas:

- Replace diff oil with higher viscosity 75W-140. Also introduce exhaust wrap around the pipes that are near the IRS diff unit itself. Any downsides to introducing this oil?

- Install dedicated differential cooler. So far, I've come across the Full Tilt Boogie unit for around $700. There also the Ford Performance GT350 unit, which is quite a bit more from what I've seen (2K). Any other units out there?

Obviously, the cooler would be the optimal avenue. But I'm trying to look at cheaper-yet-effective options before I get there.

I don't plan on tracking all that much - maybe a few days out of the year. I would, however, like to participate fully in those trackday events without having to deal with this issue.

Thanks!!!
I did 5 track days last year and prior to, I had the Full Tilt Boogie installed. I just changed out my diff fluid for this season and what came out looked like it was new. I have never had an overheating issue in the diff, these things are worth the peace of mind they bring.
Sponsored