Sponsored

Heel - Toe Down Shifting 2019 GT

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
. I MUCH prefer sport mode, but it turns MR into 'hard', and it's annoying where I live. So have to use 'normal' mode, where the throttle is quite lazy. Need a huge amount of throttle to get the aggressive blip I like, and like the computer gets (fortunately). .
Off-topic but do what I did and get yourself a Sprint Booster V3. My go-to mode is now MyMode where it's Normal with Sport Exhaust BUT Sprint Booster on red 9. Fantastic. Of course going to Sport or Track Mode makes the throttle lightning quick but the SB has 18 throttle sensitivity positions so it's easy to dial it down for those modes. Highly recommend it.
Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey OP, if you can get close to this guy (Walter Rorhl, aka 'the master'), you'd be doing good. Ha ha:

It was an extremely hard to drive car at that level, since you needed to keep the turbo on the boil all the time (hence all that fancy footwork). That guy never had an accident, and he was driving at the limit all the time; he was that good. Well, still is, but not at a professional level anymore.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
I have the solution on my GT350R; When you are at the track pedal your brake pedal will naturally go lower with heated breaks and the height of the pedals Will be close enough for heel and toe, but the gas pedal is sooo far to the right ; Steeda has a drill on wide pedal for 33$; but on the street with cooler brakes, the brake pedal is too high for the gas pedal so I add a hard foam rubber pad put on with the right stuff and it is removable when you go to the track by pulling it off.
74149052-96B1-43B9-9665-AD9F30D2E5B4.jpeg
9C022293-7513-435C-9A75-59374D03FF36.jpeg
what did you use as the riser pad for the street and how do you attach it to stop it falling off? Looks good

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It was an extremely hard to drive car at that level, since you needed to keep the turbo on the boil all the time (hence all that fancy footwork). That guy never had an accident, and he was driving at the limit all the time; he was that good. Well, still is, but not at a professional level anymore.
Nice one. Thanks for posting that.
Just to play the devil's advocate, it also helped that he had a sequential gearbox, which can shift without using the clutch, so he could afford to hold one foot on the brake and another on the accelerator when needed, without worrying about the clutch - something you can't do with your daily driver. He does occasionally use the clutch in the video, but it's probably more for controlling the car than for changing gears. Not to mention that that technique will burn the hell out of your brakes - no big deal when the car is supposed to last just fourty minutes, but not something you'd want to do with your own daily driver. :)
But indeed, it's quite impressive to watch. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
what did you use as the riser pad for the street and how do you attach it to stop it falling off? Looks good
Thanks for your interest. At the track your pedal is completely lower due to how the higher heat works on your brake fluid and pads/ rotors. I found a hard foam rubber pad ( like a workbench foam pad) and “ the right stuff “ is a gasket forming rubber/ silicon product ; when applied dries around and to metal surfaces! It will not come off unless you physically pull it off and the hard foam rubber pad had great grip to your rubber bottom shoes for your cold around town street driving! I always heel and toe at every chance for practice so it’s second nature at the 350 foot mark at Portland international raceway at the end of the straightaway! Track day just pull hard and peel it of for track day . Yes there is definitely two levels of brake pad height; cold street ( higher) and track days ( much lower) . We Also adjust our tire pressure for track day / seat position / windows down / ac off etc . It’s the better prepared that enjoy the track and street driving of a GT350R/ GT350 more .

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Thanks for your interest. At the track your pedal is completely lower due to how the higher heat works on your brake fluid and pads/ rotors. I found a hard foam rubber pad ( like a workbench foam pad) and “ the right stuff “ is a gasket forming rubber/ silicon product ; when applied dries around and to metal surfaces! It will not come off unless you physically pull it off and the hard foam rubber pad had great grip to your rubber bottom shoes for your cold around town street driving! I always heel and toe at every chance for practice so it’s second nature at the 350 foot mark at Portland international raceway at the end of the straightaway! Track day just pull hard and peel it of for track day . Yes there is definitely two levels of brake pad height; cold street ( higher) and track days ( much lower) . We Also adjust our tire pressure for track day / seat position / windows down / ac off etc . It’s the better prepared that enjoy the track and street driving of a GT350R/ GT350 more .

Totally agree. The three spacers I use on the 3 bolts are able to be removed in the same way.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just to play the devil's advocate, it also helped that he had a sequential gearbox, which can shift without using the clutch
Not those man. You needed the clutch, just like on a motorcycle of that vintage (no quick shifters). You can get away not using the clutch on upshifs... if you do it right. But that doesn't mean the gearbox was designed that way. For downshifts you absolutely had to use the clutch, and that's when you see him 'heel-and-toeing'. As I mentioned, with a small turbo engine of that vintage, you needed to keep the turbo on the boil even under braking; that's why he was braking with his left foot too. He had innate skill; never took a driving class.

He once drove on an F1 race, with supposedly the best drivers, with zero previous practice (new car, new track, etc). He made them look like fools. Ha ha. Won the race by minutes, not tenths of a second, like among them. And yes, it rained, when you can show how good you really are with car control and driving at the limits. He could do it all the time, and most importantly, without crashing.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Kyle:
Where did you get the plate for the Lloyds Floor mat?
After 3 months of driving, my Lloyds mat had a trench from my heel and I removed it and replaced it with an OEM mat.
The trench was annoying... looks like you either found or made an excellent solution.

46358596565_2b931d3957_k-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer the two foot method.. give it a shot sometime ;)

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
There are at least three different foot placements that work well for heel-toe.

If you have wide feet, this is the one to use. Works equally well for gentle and aggressive braking in my experience.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
On the street, to me the best technique is to brake with basically the big toe ball of your foot then roll your ankle and blip the the throttle with the right side of your foot. It takes quite a bit of practice to be fairly consistent, but it's easier than the true heel/toe with the stock pedals.
Sponsored