Sponsored

Steering wheel off center

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Over the winter hiatus I installed a GT350 steering wheel. Now I notice when driving the wheel is off center by a bit. I don't recall, was there a way to install the steering wheel off center or is just my alignment that is off?

Should I bother removing it to reinstall again?
Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
You can do anything you put your mind to!

I haven't done an S550 steering wheel, but generally the wheel will mount onto a shaft with many splines, meaning that you can accidentally put the wheel on one spline to the left or right of where it should be and have an off center wheel. I'd check that. the only other way to fix it is to get an alignment (or try to do it yourself with the toe adjustment).

Roadsign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Don't know if all S550's are the same but my 2016 has a hex, not splines. It would be off center quite a bit and not just a little. Maybe a manufacturing issue with the steering wheel you installed?

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I looked at the original CJ Pony install video and yes it is a hex bolt, so can't install off center, unless its really off. I am confident an alignment shop will be able to correct it

Thanks guys

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Don't know if all S550's are the same but my 2016 has a hex, not splines. It would be off center quite a bit and not just a little. Maybe a manufacturing issue with the steering wheel you installed?
Just looked on you tube and it looks like all s550s are a hex there. So if the wheel is only off a little then it's probably an alignment issue. Personally I'd have a professional correct it.

Sponsored

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
If it is a front end alignment, wouldn't he have had the same problem with the original steering wheel? Or has he had recent front end work that might affect the alignment? Sound like he simply needs to reinstall the new steering wheel more carefully.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The steering wheel is mountd to a hex shaft, 6 sides, 60 degrees per side. If he was off even one hex the steering wheel would be off by 60 degrees, not just a little bit. The only real explanation for a slight off center is a misalignment. Why it's misaligned could be from several reasons any of which could have happened after he swapped steering wheels.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I had my car aligned after installing my springs. Then got the GT350R wheel for my 2019 a month later. Installed it and mine was off to the left if I remember correctly. Alignment had a one year warranty so I ran it back and they fixed it.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had my steering wheel off a number of times. There is little to no play at the wheel nut itself. Have the alignment checked. Toe settings are usually due for minor adjustments once every year or so.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
The steering wheel is mountd to a hex shaft, 6 sides, 60 degrees per side. If he was off even one hex the steering wheel would be off by 60 degrees, not just a little bit. The only real explanation for a slight off center is a misalignment. Why it's misaligned could be from several reasons any of which could have happened after he swapped steering wheels.
Understand - now! Tks

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
The steering wheel naturally is a little off when driving. Usually the pony head tilts slightly down. Lol. If you watch any first person YouTube vids you can always see it. And I’ve always noticed it on my car too.

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
It was probably off a little before as well, but was less evident because I didn’t have the leather stripe in the middle.

I also probably paid less attention before the swap

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I purchased a wheel for CJPP. I am happy with it, but my sight line appears to be off ever so slightly. I don’t recall there being any play when installing it. Maybe the original wheel was off a little and now more noticeable because of the sight line. ‍:crazy: In any case, my car drives straight, no pull either way. So I have learned to live with it.:)
Sponsored