Oil Temps tracking car in TX heat

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
True dat. Tracked this one (only for the remainder of the day)
20190927_175952.jpg
Wish you were closer HB. I’d touch up that wheel but most of all I’d seek your wisdom in all things track related and the GT350.
If for some reason you ever make it out to Laguna Seca, Willow Springs or Buttonwillow...hit me up :-)
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Wish you were closer HB. I’d touch up that wheel but most of all I’d seek your wisdom in all things track related and the GT350.
If for some reason you ever make it out to Laguna Seca, Willow Springs or Buttonwillow...hit me up :-)
Absolutely. I definitely need to make it back to CA one of these days. Maybe in '21. Need to get the car caged and on coilovers before anymore big trips, tho

TX-2019-Black_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10, Shadow Black with Black Trim Pkg.
I'm sure most of you know this already, but there is not an actual engine oil temperature sensor on these cars. Its an inferred value based on math from the engine coolant temperature and probably ambient temperature. I'm sure ford spent some time with engineers and actual temp sensors to come up with the formula, but who knows the actual degree of accuracy. They do have temperature sensors in the transmission and rear differential however.
Copying my own post elsewhere today:
I'm curious where all these posts claiming the Mustang has no actual oil temp sensor originated? I found the Ford 2019 OBD System Operation Summary, almost 400 pages of deep technical detail. P266 clearly shows the voltage vs. engine oil temp (EOT) of the EOT sensor. It goes on to explain that the sensor location varies in different vehicles, but that it's located where it is in the oil flow. It also explains the inferred (i.e., theoretical or modeled / calculated) EOT, and that the computer compares measured vs. inferred EOT, and sets a diagnostic code if they differ by too much. This code would tell you the EOT sensor might be bad.

TX-2019-Black_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10, Shadow Black with Black Trim Pkg.
Took the car out to the track yesterday and with afternoon temps in high 90s the oil temps would jump to 270 degrees after a couple laps.

Curious what others who track in the heat have done to help with temps and what kinda "max" oil temp everyone tries to stay below.
I maxed out at 280 in mid to high 80s at MSRH. The gauge just hit the lower edge of 'yellow'. The car was limping a little, 10-speed shifting at about 5000 rpm instead of 7500. Trans temp was at 215, nowhere near the 'yellow' range, which starts at 260. I don't know if the GT has a diff temp sensor, but I know it does not have a gauge.

I'm trying to understand where the problem is, but it sounds like it's multiple variables. I guess I'll start with a Mishi radiator. Any opinions or suggestions?

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Hey guys,

I’m currently racing at Streets of Willow. The current temp is 108°. My car would hit 300° in just a few laps. Is there something wrong with my car or are those oil temps normal for this kind of weather. It didn’t go into limp mode, but noticed a drastic reduction in power once it hit oil temp redline. Got full power again when it dropped to 275ish

is this something I should be worried about?

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Hey guys,

I’m currently racing at Streets of Willow. The current temp is 108°. My car would hit 300° in just a few laps. Is there something wrong with my car or are those oil temps normal for this kind of weather. It didn’t go into limp mode, but noticed a drastic reduction in power once it hit oil temp redline. Got full power again when it dropped to 275ish

You’re one tough dude. Miserable conditions for racing and I live in Bakersfield.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey guys,

The drastic reduction in power is limp mode.