Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
How is this an issue with the valve cover if there's no oil on the threads of the plug but only on the tip?
I was thinking that too, & i’ve been hitting some shops up, everyone saying like $2000+ , thinking of just taking it to ford tbh, opinions ?
Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
So for about almost a year now i’ve had a 2016 GT Premium that I bought, and i’ve dealt with it but finally wanna tackle the issue, my cars oil consumption is really bad, and wastes too much oil, and on hot starts, it will throw smoke out the back, blueish smoke. I pulled the plugs, and cylinder #6 is covered in some black mush. What do y’all think ? Bad valve seals? I have no clue what it could be, debating if i should take it to ford. When i got it it had power train warranty, but person before me had a JLT CAI, which obviously voids the warranty. Any suggestions as to what it could be or what to do ? Thanks.
B0B5319D-4AEF-47D6-A66D-3D90A77A181A.jpeg

What mileage those your car have?
Thanks.

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
My son is going through the same issue right now with his 2017 on cylinder #5. He took it to the first dealership and they said it was normal until he got a video of crank up blowing blue smoke. He took it to a different dealership and has an old high school friend doing the warranty work on it. It is a constant back and fourth between the service manager and Ford engineers. It’s been in the shop for a week now doing one test after another, but the top of the piston is completely oil soaked of burned oil.
Latest directive from Ford was to put dye in the oil, drive it a few miles and then park it over night and then pull the intake and inspect for dye leakage around the valve. If its there, pull and replace the head. He’ll inspect walls for scoring at that time too.
He noticed this at about 28K miles. Has 43K on it now. Thank God he has a friend that is a Ford tech that is willing to put time into this and find out what is going on.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Just an update on son’s car. Oil is leaking very bad around intake valve so Ford told tech to replace the head. But here’ the catch. No heads to be found anywhere. Cannot just change out seals, has to be the entire head.
he put the car back together and a fresh plug in #5 and gave him the car back last night. As soon as the head comes in it will go back in the shop.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hopefully that will fix it. But most importantly, the tech won't break/damage something else, like it often happens. Good luck.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Update : I think i’m going to go ahead and take it to ford and have them pull the engine and check it thoroughly, even though i think it’s the valve stem seals, they give warranty with whatever they do, but then i feel like they’ll point other stuff to get money out of me, might be good or bad. What do y’all think ?

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Another thing, so i took it once, cause i still have power train warranty, but the guy told me that it most likely would be voided because of the cache can and JLT CAI, so bought a OEM intake and the pcv hose, you guys think i can just slap those on and take it to a dealer and see if they don’t void the warranty, ive heard that they can check the ECU to see how many times it’s been flashed, depending on the severity of the issue and if it’ll be a big cost for them, which in this case it would be, if they check the ECU it’ll say it’s been flashed due to the JLT, so what should i do, maybe buy a used ECU and put that one on maybe, idk what do you guys think ? kind of lost, don’t know what i should do, if i should proceed with it that way, or can i just revert the tune to stock, and take it like that, if i do it like that, how do i change it to stock, i don’t have a tuner, so if i need one which is best, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Once tuned, the electronic seal is violated, so no sense in trying to hide that. That's the danger of tuning your car, but hopefully you did it knowing this could happen. As far as changing the ECU, it's a MAJOR deal, with the tons of modules and everything, so forget it. Plus that ECU could have been tuned too. Ha ha. If you have to pay for the repair, just build a better engine, and consider it lesson learned not to mess with the ECU during warranty :D. Good luck.

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Once tuned, the electronic seal is violated, so no sense in trying to hide that. That's the danger of tuning your car, but hopefully you did it knowing this could happen. As far as changing the ECU, it's a MAJOR deal, with the tons of modules and everything, so forget it. Plus that ECU could have been tuned too. Ha ha. If you have to pay for the repair, just build a better engine, and consider it lesson learned not to mess with the ECU during warranty :D. Good luck.
Yeahh i get you, but when i got the car it had it already lol, but i get you, thanks for the advice !

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Another thing, so i took it once, cause i still have power train warranty, but the guy told me that it most likely would be voided because of the cache can and JLT CAI, so bought a OEM intake and the pcv hose, you guys think i can just slap those on and take it to a dealer and see if they don’t void the warranty, ive heard that they can check the ECU to see how many times it’s been flashed, depending on the severity of the issue and if it’ll be a big cost for them, which in this case it would be, if they check the ECU it’ll say it’s been flashed due to the JLT, so what should i do, maybe buy a used ECU and put that one on maybe, idk what do you guys think ? kind of lost, don’t know what i should do, if i should proceed with it that way, or can i just revert the tune to stock, and take it like that, if i do it like that, how do i change it to stock, i don’t have a tuner, so if i need one which is best, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Ford's internal document on checking for mods has shown they don't care about catch cans. Intakes and tunes, sure. But the worst they can do is say no if you take it in. Sometimes dealers can be cool about it if they don't think it's a failure related to your mods.
Sponsored