Sponsored

Problem with Carplay and Sync 3

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
Hi. I’m glad you got it worked out. Could you post the bulletin # or a snapshot of the paperwork so we could reference this to our service techs?

thank you
Check the version of Sync 3.4 you are running. I bet it is build 19200. That is the build my F350 had. As noted above, I was having the same issues. Took it to the dealer last week for a second time. This time the tech updated my F350 to build 19274 and miraculously all my issues have disappeared and the Sync 3.4 has connected with CarPlay no issues for a week. This build is not available via owner.ford.com yet. Even my wireless carplay dongle has worked flawlessly the last week.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Check the version of Sync 3.4 you are running. I bet it is build 19200. That is the build my F350 had. As noted above, I was having the same issues. Took it to the dealer last week for a second time. This time the tech updated my F350 to build 19274 and miraculously all my issues have disappeared and the Sync 3.4 has connected with CarPlay no issues for a week. This build is not available via owner.ford.com yet. Even my wireless carplay dongle has worked flawlessly the last week.
Thank you. I actually have the 19274 build number and still intermittently have carplay being dropped or a black screen. Both are temporarily resolved through a soft reset.

SpectreGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I'm here with a 'me too'. I bought my 2020 EcoBoost Premium a week about two weeks ago. Carplay works off and on. At first I thought it was only when the car had been off for a brief period, but it's done it after a long time off as well.

I have a neighbor that's a Ford tech; I'm going to ask him if he knows anything.

OP
OP

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I'm here with a 'me too'. I bought my 2020 EcoBoost Premium a week about two weeks ago. Carplay works off and on. At first I thought it was only when the car had been off for a brief period, but it's done it after a long time off as well.

I have a neighbor that's a Ford tech; I'm going to ask him if he knows anything.
I got a new APIM and it’s helped but still randomly either disconnects from carplay or won’t recognize it upon startup.

My adviser just texted me to say there is an update that has to be done at the dealer for this. I’m calling tomorrow for an appointment.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase

Simple fix. Have the dealer do an update. They have one that is not available from the owner.ford.com site. It is the same version the guys doing the Sync3.4 update from CyanLabs is using. Since the dealer updated my 2020 F350 with this new version, I have had no problems.

Sponsored

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Simple fix. Have the dealer do an update. They have one that is not available from the owner.ford.com site. It is the same version the guys doing the Sync3.4 update from CyanLabs is using. Since the dealer updated my 2020 F350 with this new version, I have had no problems.
I’m going to call my dealer too. In the meantime removing Waze has cured it from times it would not connect. Now it always does but sometimes takes a minute or two.

SpectreGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I’m going to call my dealer too. In the meantime removing Waze has cured it from times it would not connect. Now it always does but sometimes takes a minute or two.
Hmm, I'll try that. Mind did it again today, and my backup camera image sometimes flickers. Made an appt to take it in on Monday to get all fixed.

SpectreGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Took the car to the dealer today. They updated it to 3.4 build 19274_PRODUCT, and proclaimed victory. So far so good. Said it would fix issues with my backup camera going wonky. We shall see.

Sponsored

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
OP
OP

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Build 19274 is old. Lol. I had that and it still had problems including intermittent disconnection from CarPlay or not even charging the phone when plugged in. A soft reset would usually fix it for the time being until it would have issues again once every week or so.

I just took the car in on Tuesday and got it back on Thursday with an update.
4204372C-2DCD-460F-9305-816FEBD94823.jpeg

Last edited:

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride

SpectreGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
How was the setup on that wireless CarPlay adapter? I’ve heard CarPlay2Air can be a nightmare, but this is a different brand and certainly looks sleeker at least
I stayed away from CarPlay2Air because of what I’ve read. The Carlinkit U2W was really easy. It made it easy to do a firmware upgrade as well. So far, absolutely no complaints.

OP
OP

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
So just 2 days after the latest build 20136 being installed, the car still didn’t recognize carplay at startup. I had to do a soft reset of the sync for it to work.

Ford replaced my APIM early on and I now have the latest software update. I’ll just have to live with a buggy system. Ford man, Ford.
Sponsored