Sponsored

Service Charging System Now not warranty?

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
So I got a Charging system service now message after spirited driving. Took it to the dealer. They saw codes in the memory but could not replicate the problem. Instead of this being an extended warranty issue, they want to charge me $132 diagnostic fee since they didn't replace any parts. Does this sound right. I paid for an extended warranty so I didn't have to deal with little issues.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I think it would depend on the wording of your warranty. Dust it off and read the fine print.

Also, if you have gotten one yet, get an OBD dongle and program that can clear codes. Iā€™ve cleared a couple of codes on my GT350 and Explorer and they havenā€™t come back. When they do and I canā€™t figure it out, thatā€™s when I access the dealer.

Good luck. I hope it doesnā€™t come back.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Maybe it's dealer-dependent on how they handle it? Is the extended warranty from Ford? I also bought the extended warranty to not have any repair bills in the near future.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So I got a Charging system service now message after spirited driving. Took it to the dealer. They saw codes in the memory but could not replicate the problem. Instead of this being an extended warranty issue, they want to charge me $132 diagnostic fee since they didn't replace any parts. Does this sound right. I paid for an extended warranty so I didn't have to deal with little issues.
Friend, your battery is about to die. I had that same error code and replacing the battery permanently got rid of it. I changed my battery out, less than 4 months ago and also the original 2016 battery. A few signs for me gave it away, longer cranks and had to jump the car a few times. I kept it on a tender too to see how far long I could go and kept a battery backup jump system in the car with me at all times just to be able to jump it. From my own experience, it sounds like you just need a new battery and that's a warning code.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
FWIW, I have the Ford EXP but haven't read the fine print since haven't needed it yet. But my Cadillac GM equivalent definitely says it just covers repairs for things that fail. As such, I would not take the Caddy in just for codes that go away by themselves if the car is running fine. For intermittent problems, you might want to ask the dealer up front how they would deal with a situation like yours.

Hopefully, your dealer will change their mind or maybe they charged you when the warranty should cover your problem. There is an 800 number for the EXP; maybe ask them. Note: the number wasn't on any of my EXP paperwork so I had to search for it to confirm the dealer actually submitted the EXP since that is a too common scam. Or maybe it was the GM one that I had to search for a number. Regardless, give them a call.

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Friend, your battery is about to die. I had that same error code and replacing the battery permanently got rid of it. I changed my battery out, less than 4 months ago and also the original 2016 battery. A few signs for me gave it away, longer cranks and had to jump the car a few times. I kept it on a tender too to see how far long I could go and kept a battery backup jump system in the car with me at all times just to be able to jump it. From my own experience, it sounds like you just need a new battery and that's a warning code.
which battery and brand did you go with?

OP
OP
barstowpo

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
Well, an update. I went to pick up the car and paid the diagnostic fee. They assured me if the problem persisted they would apply the charge to my $100 deductible. I got a block from the dealer and the warning came on again. Took it back and dropped it off. The charge gauge showed under 12 volts but was somewhat erratic. I thought it might be battery too but they assure me that it checks out ok.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Well, an update. I went to pick up the car and paid the diagnostic fee. They assured me if the problem persisted they would apply the charge to my $100 deductible.....
Why wouldn't they just charge you the $100 deductible? $132 > $100, so it seems like you should only pay $100.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Well, an update. I went to pick up the car and paid the diagnostic fee. They assured me if the problem persisted they would apply the charge to my $100 deductible. I got a block from the dealer and the warning came on again. Took it back and dropped it off. The charge gauge showed under 12 volts but was somewhat erratic. I thought it might be battery too but they assure me that it checks out ok.
Let me know if you need any DTCs looked up.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Iā€™ve become a believer in replacing batteries prematurely. Modern cars just freak out with the slightest power problem. I live in a desert, heat kills batteries prematurely.
One of the many reasons old school shade tree mechanics hate new cars.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
which battery and brand did you go with?
I wanted to go with anti gravity but something about it didn't meet my platform needs. I think it was low degree weather requirement of mine? I can't recall and wish I could find the PM from the vendor. Don't quote me on it but I believe at the time I wanted to go with them for their low weight design but they were very focused on track performance and weren't tolerable to the cold weather. I like being able to drive mine all year long so I just went with motorcraft and missed out on the extra weight savings for the ability to drive in the cold. Got to hear that exhaust note. haha.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I do the same. My diesels are 3 years like clockwork.

Iā€™ve become a believer in replacing batteries prematurely. Modern cars just freak out with the slightest power problem. I live in a desert, heat kills batteries prematurely.
One of the many reasons old school shade tree mechanics hate new cars.

OP
OP
barstowpo

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
Why wouldn't they just charge you the $100 deductible? $132 > $100, so it seems like you should only pay $100.
They finally determined the alternator is bad. They are going to refund the $32 portion of the diagnostic fee and use the $100 for the deductible. I just couldn't believe they were not going to warranty the check charging system error because they couldn't find anything. Actually, I think the regulator in the alternator failed. The service writer didn't rev it high enough on his test drive to trigger the fault.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Did they tell you how they were able to determine the problem was with the alternator and not the battery? I ask because Iā€™m getting the same message on the Shelby.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
What OBD dongle and program are people using here?
Sponsored