Sponsored

Has anyone experienced an unexplained increase in insurance premium following a track day?

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I bet USAA will beat your rates, but it’s almost not fair to brag about as not many people in the country have access. They smoked anything I’ve ever shopped for on home and auto.
I’m not a Veteran so I don’t qualify.
I have heard USAA actually drops it’s rates as your car ages which is the way it should be.
Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
That is what I am considering this time but they are quite a bit more expensive ($572) than OpenTrack ($378) or Lockton ($420). Any experience with Lockton?
No experience with Lockton. I just went with Hagerty as I'm comfortable with them. I get agreed upon value for the car, if I add mods to it, I can add them to the policy, and if I track it, I can buy track day insurance from them and it will not affect the rates on my normal policy.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I’m not a Veteran so I don’t qualify.
I have heard USAA actually drops it’s rates as your car ages which is the way it should be.
If you have a Veteran in your family, you qualify

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Go into settings and kill all the telemetry settings that phone home to Ford. Your insurance carrier buys the data from Ford to spot "cretins" like you. :)
There's also a fuse in the diagram labelled "telematics" :thumbsup:

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
My yearly premiums with Amica went up nearly 40% out of nowhere. No tickets, no accidents, no track days, absolutely nothing. When I asked them why, after a lot of back and forth with their superiors, the only excuse they could give me is the car went into the higher risk category. Switched back to Allstate, and it's been very reasonable with no surprises.
Funny you mention that. I had to drop Amica as a whole since I got my first GT350. They wanted an absurd amount to insure the car (something in the ballpark of 4 times as much other similar cars I have). Otherwise I was very happy with them but for where I live it makes no sense to use them if you have a GT350 apparently.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I use Lockton and Allstate. No funny business so far. But, I just switched to Geico because my homeowner’s insurance went through the roof. I saved $1,400
I switched from an auto-home bundle with State Farm to Allstate recently after being with SF since I was 18 years old. SF spiked my home insurance for no reason. I had never filed a claim with them on my home and only one auto claim ever. I do participate in the Allstate safe driver program where they monitor the use of my family's vehicles. It was actually pretty cool and unexpected to get a $90 check back for low miles usage. Been quite happy with them thus far.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Funny you mention that. I had to drop Amica as a whole since I got my first GT350. They wanted an absurd amount to insure the car (something in the ballpark of 4 times as much other similar cars I have). Otherwise I was very happy with them but for where I live it makes no sense to use them if you have a GT350 apparently.
Looks like they're just super risk-adverse to GT350's. I dropped them about 2 years ago.

dboz1983

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150, ‘20 GT350
I have SafeCo, VERY reasonable rates. I am a veteran, I insure 3 cars, a house, and a large outbuilding and USAA can’t get close.

That said, I believe they may only be available in the Midwest. When we had a house fire, they were quick to process the claim, pay out what was needed, and put us in an apartment. If you have access to them, I would highly recommend!

Sponsored

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have a theory about why the new policy was cheaper. Did you initially purchase insurance through an agent? Commissioned sales can raise your rates to pay for the sales commission. I don't think that would be 30%, but it could explain part of it. When I shop quotes I ask the agent if they are commissioned, if they haven't already disclosed.
This is not true, at least not in Ca. Insurance agents have no control over rates and cannot increase them to raise commission.
They can charge broker fees, but thats rare with name brand insurance and is more a commercial thing.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Come on man, California can't be used as an example for anything. Y'all do everything differently.
Your right, I hate to admit I am from here. But the main difference from CA and other states is that most Ins. carriers
use your credit score for your rates. Can't do that in Ca. I have never heard of agent being able to raise rates for more commission.
I just do not see the dept of insurance allowing that. Maybe another Ins. agent can chime in.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing to do with track day, but when i added my 350 to my insurance policy i ended up paying zero (actually less) in premiums. Insurance agent noted that my 20 year old son was causing my rates on all 4 cars to go up. After removing him from my policy and creating his own, i ended up saving money by adding my 350. He is still insured to drive my cars. In short, i pay less for both policies combined than i did previously with a single policy with just three cars.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have to watch for this... Who was your insurance provider(op)?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
A few months ago my renewal came up and I received a notice of a 14% premium increase. No tickets, no accidents, no claims. The reason was "reclassification due to vehicle endorsement activity". I called the insurer and nobody could explain that to me; the folks on the phone had no idea and there were no notes anywhere. I could have challenged the increase but it was just easier to get a new policy with the same insurer; my new policy dropped the premium by about 30% from the original price before the proposed increase (crazy eh? same insurer, same cars, better coverage). The only thing I can think of is that the insurer somehow found out about a track day that I attended months before and decided to jack up the premium, which seems extremely shady. I registered on motorsportreg and bought track insurance from OpenTrack. I am preparing to attend another HPDE day and I'm worried about the same thing happening again.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Data is bought and sold a lot now a days. Likely your data was purchased from open track.
Sponsored