car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Zero signs. Car was 100% normal then out of no where it just sounded different. Like a 4cyl with a big muffler so I drove it was luckily I was less than 2 miles from my house and the closest dealer is like a 5min drive
Yes that was my experience - and right after a service. Less miles though. I think a new engine is a plus as it has no miles.
Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Yes that was my experience - and right after a service. Less miles though. I think a new engine is a plus as it has no miles.
I respectfully disagree. As someone who worked at a dealership years ago, I've seen numerous engine replacements and I can tell no install is ever 100% perfect. There is always leftover bolts, washers, maybe a forgotten vacuum line, clips that aren't fully pressed etc... Not to mention stuff is usually scuffed up inside the engine bay and unfortunately exterior panels often get scratched as well.

I don't care what car it is, anything with a replacement engine is less valuable and desirable than an equivalent car with the original engine (unless of course, we're talking about extremely high mileage cars).

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I respectfully disagree. As someone who worked at a dealership years ago, I've seen numerous engine replacements and I can tell no install is ever 100% perfect. There is always leftover bolts, washers, maybe a forgotten vacuum line, clips that aren't fully pressed etc... Not to mention stuff is usually scuffed up inside the engine bay and unfortunately exterior panels often get scratched as well.

I don't care what car it is, anything with a replacement engine is less valuable and desirable than an equivalent car with the original engine (unless of course, we're talking about extremely high mileage cars).
It’s all in where you take it, IMHO. I’ve seen some places that would do as you propose, leaving our bolts, nuts, unplugged wiring harness, etc...

However, I could trust the dealer I bought my raptor from without issue. Their performance tech was had Ford’s highest tech rating and awards and was very thorough. He was the only person they let touch my 16R when I had it.

Now, if your chin spoiler was not installed correctly and the four main screws were left out... yeah, take it elsewheres... quick!!

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I personally wouldn't care if the engine was new. I don't think we have "collector cars" in that sense. Maybe someday if you leave it in your garage, never drive it and your grandson pulls it out to sell it in 50 years.

Stevbas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT 350.
Bought my 2017 Shelby on 4\20\20... today the engine is done. taking it to my local ford dealership. Car was bought with 15.7k miles it now has 17.3k miles. The very next day after purchasing it i had the oil changed and a compression test done everything was fine. I knew this would would come just sucks that it happened so fast, at least its under warranty.

Edit: Does anyone know if they will offer a buyback on a 2nd owner car? Car was not bought or financed thru a ford dealership.
Sorry to hear that! Let them put in a new engine and so glad it happened under warranty.

Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
There may be no numbers/VIN on the block or trans if you have a PP car. @PP0001 would possibly know better about this.
My PP 2016 has matching block / Chassis and door tag as to your thoughts
F064ECFA-DF86-475C-85D7-C39C2B49F240.jpeg
069190F7-B5A5-4FB8-8F19-87DD55CF68CB.jpeg
683CAA03-E53F-4D98-A6D0-D1A3ACEED03F.jpeg

WetDuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
The pre 19's were known for consuming oil. You should've known this going in.
I'm glad you're getting it replaced under warranty, but you should've kept an eye on the oil level for the first 1K miles especially since you bought it used.
Enjoy the new engine. I have my 19 for 3 months now and it hasn't consumed any oil................so far.
I also have 2019 with no oil consumption - I read all issues w earlier models. Amsoil 15/50 will help reduce oil consumption as it has less shear loss than Motorcraft. At least that is what people say

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
My PP 2016 has matching block / Chassis and door tag as to your thoughts
F064ECFA-DF86-475C-85D7-C39C2B49F240.jpeg
069190F7-B5A5-4FB8-8F19-87DD55CF68CB.jpeg
683CAA03-E53F-4D98-A6D0-D1A3ACEED03F.jpeg
Based on inspecting the first 5 Pilot Production 2012 Boss 302's which was the launch year for the Boss 302 and with all of those cars being built during the week of October 25th, 2010 I found each block to have the last 8 matching digits of the VIN stamped into the engine block pad but in each case I also checked the transmission block pads and did not find a VIN stamped into the transmission casing block pad..

Have you checked the transmission on PP011 for a matching numbers VIN?:inspect:

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Based on inspecting the first 5 Pilot Production 2012 Boss 302's which was the launch year for the Boss 302 and with all of those cars being built during the week of October 25th, 2010 I found each block to have the last 8 matching digits of the VIN stamped into the engine block pad but in each case I also checked the transmission block pads and did not find a VIN stamped into the transmission casing block pad..

Have you checked the transmission on PP011 for a matching numbers VIN?:inspect:
Thanks; where would it be ??i will

Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
No, Ford won't do a buy back. Did you buy it to drive it or store it away for 30+ years with the hope it would be appreciate in value exponentially? If its the former, then you might be glad the engine denotated under warranty. After I got my new engine a huge weight was lifted off my mind because I stopped worrying about if my engine was going to crap the bed and leave me stranded in the middle of no where. Frankly, I enjoy my car more now than ever before , and I could care less about resale value. The key to the whole process is two things. First find a dealer that is competent in replacing engines. Secondly, have realistic expectations, Ford isn't out to screw you, it's just business to them so try not to take some of the delays and details personally.
I thought the same thing too. Then engine # 2 blew. And after that coolant hoses started popping off. Then, would get throttle hesitation that dealer couldn't diagonse. Then was lemon time. The fact pattern for those who track especially is pretty bad. Combo of design and people who don't know how to put precision engines back together makes for a bad combination.
Sponsored