V6 Cat back exhaust

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I'm in the market for a cat back exhaust and am between the Borla S Type and ATAK. Looking for a deeper, aggressive tone that sounds reasonably close to a V8 (fully recognizing a v6 will never truly sound like a V8) but not necessarily the loudest. I've listened to a bunch of videos on YouTube and checked the threads here but have not heard either of these systems in person. Any strong opinions one way or the other?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Atak is the loudest, S Type is the best tone. Beyond that, neither will really sound like a V8. For that, you would probably want MBRP or Magnaflow but it'll be worse up top and drone.

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Atak is the loudest, S Type is the best tone. Beyond that, neither will really sound like a V8. For that, you would probably want MBRP or Magnaflow but it'll be worse up top and drone.
Thanks, this is helpful. I definitely don't want drone so I'll stay away from the MBRP and Magnaflow.

Pondude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red V6
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, this is helpful. I definitely don't want drone so I'll stay away from the MBRP and Magnaflow.
For me, I almost don't care what it sounds like outside the car; for me its all about the damn drone inside the car. I feel that all of these systems can make a good external sound.. some better than others, but the key is how they minimize drone.

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
The Borla Atak is a great system. The Borla S type is less quiet than the Atak so less prone to drone.

If you get any part # from Borla's website, text us and we can get you a quote. Most exhausts in stock!

213 394 2886.

-Josh

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I recommend shorty headers in combination with a Borla catback. I have a Borla S type axle back with an x-pipe, and it does not sound as good as the same combo with shorty headers. At 5,000 rpm or above it does, but at lower rpms (especially below 3,000) mine sounds like it could be a 4 cylinder. It still sounds a lot better than an Ecoboost, though.

Baso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bassem
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 Mustang V6
Hello. I've spent over 3 years researching V6 exhausts, and from my experience, I've always settled with a setup that's pretty popular on YouTube and here and that's a lot cheaper than brand catbacks (Borla, Magna and the like). It's known as Brent's setup (a fellow who goes by the name of Brent Hecht came up with it, also on this forum iirc) and the setup is as simple as it sounds: shorties/2.5inch X pipe/muffler deletes.
The sound is deep, rumbles nice, and has what I call the "good kind of rasp". Think of the Voodo 5.2, it's raspy yet one of the best sounding motors on the planet (for most at least). In other words it's not the annoying, tin-canny rasp that you hear on straight piped 3.7's (usually still on stock headers) and 350z's.

Here's his setup

And here's mine (identical) if you want to hear it from another person

I've got another shorter vid on the channel with some revs too if you like it

Brent also came up with a catless setup if you want to go the extra mile, which involves a bit more parts but still gives a great throaty sound.

If you're bound to get brand parts however, I know the Ataks with an x pipe sound great. S type can be also an alternative if you want a deeper tone.
Here it is

Guy also has combinations with S type and H pipe on his channel.

Hope I helped!

Edit: the last vid is only an Atak axle back with a generic x pipe, not the Borla X pipe.

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hello. I've spent over 3 years researching V6 exhausts, and from my experience, I've always settled with a setup that's pretty popular on YouTube and here and that's a lot cheaper than brand catbacks (Borla, Magna and the like). It's known as Brent's setup (a fellow who goes by the name of Brent Hecht came up with it, also on this forum iirc) and the setup is as simple as it sounds: shorties/2.5inch X pipe/muffler deletes.
The sound is deep, rumbles nice, and has what I call the "good kind of rasp". Think of the Voodo 5.2, it's raspy yet one of the best sounding motors on the planet (for most at least). In other words it's not the annoying, tin-canny rasp that you hear on straight piped 3.7's (usually still on stock headers) and 350z's.

Here's his setup

And here's mine (identical) if you want to hear it from another person

I've got another shorter vid on the channel with some revs too if you like it

Brent also came up with a catless setup if you want to go the extra mile, which involves a bit more parts but still gives a great throaty sound.

If you're bound to get brand parts however, I know the Ataks with an x pipe sound great. S type can be also an alternative if you want a deeper tone.
Here it is

Guy also has combinations with S type and H pipe on his channel.

Hope I helped!

Edit: the last vid is only an Atak axle back with a generic x pipe, not the Borla X pipe.
Thanks, that sounds good. My only concern with axle backs is I've heard they drone. Do you have any drone issues?

Baso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bassem
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 Mustang V6
Thanks, that sounds good. My only concern with axle backs is I've heard they drone. Do you have any drone issues?
My setup drones at speeds of 40ish MPH, but I don't mind it. If anything I like it. Crusing at 60-70 its barely noticeable. Borlas obviously won't drone. That's what they're known for.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Borla Atak catback with shorty headers and I love it. With the automatic its actually quite civilized when you're not getting on it, and at lower rpms it does sound similar to a V8.

Sponsored

Miichaelo912

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6, 2017 mustang gt
I like ATAK better than Stypes. I have had both. Stype has a more 370z tone to it. I guess ATAK did also but it was more aggressive.

GuardArmour

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Sixxer
Ive got Flowmaster Outlaws with an H pipe. the drone was horrible at the beginning but after breaking them it mostly went away. I've taken it on two road trips and cruising at 80 it def there but you just gotta crank up the music haha hoping to get shorties soon.

bergdon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
The ATAK has more growl while the S type has a deeper sound.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I'm in the market for a cat back exhaust and am between the Borla S Type and ATAK. Looking for a deeper, aggressive tone that sounds reasonably close to a V8 (fully recognizing a v6 will never truly sound like a V8) but not necessarily the loudest. I've listened to a bunch of videos on YouTube and checked the threads here but have not heard either of these systems in person. Any strong opinions one way or the other?
Borla Atak if you don't delete the cats or have longtubes. Borla S type if you deleted the cats and or have longtubes installed. Give me a call at 1.877.253.8425 and we can get you taken care of an exhaust that will fit your budget and answer have any questions you have about mods for your car. @LethalPerformance

Miichaelo912

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6, 2017 mustang gt
I would go with ataks over stypes. Ataks have a more aggressive tone
Sponsored