Sponsored

Dead mouse in blower motor -questions

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Are you sure the HVAC door stays open when ignition if off (and not if recirc)? It'd be great :D. On my 2018 F-150, that door is ALWAYS closed unless you turn HVAC on, AND de-select recirc. I don't like that, since you ALWAYS have to turn the system on to have any airflow. With cars that allow fresh air with HVAC off (in 'fresh', of course), I don't need to turn it on most of the winter. Hope the Mustang is that way, and if the above statement is correct, it should :). Need to check it out.
Re: part in red. Even if the HVAC is off on the Mustang and you had vents turned on before HVAC was turned off, you can feel air flowing through the dash vents as you cruise down the road. So that means the cabin air intake door is still open if it wasn't in Recirc when you turned off the HVAC.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I did not test to see if the door was closed in the HVAC was in "Recirc"
It absolutely has to be closed... unless something is not working right.

you can feel air flowing through the dash vents as you cruise down the road.
That's great news. Thank you. And yes, the recirc button becomes my HVAC power button. Ha ha. If you want air, just uncheck the recirc button and Whala! You have airflow. And the temperature is the same you left before turning system off.

As a final note, I have to say the HVAC in 'max A/C' is the most powerful system I've ever had. Heck, even in speed #1, it's too much. I have to turn on the foot door, which makes the dash airflow borderline high, but tolerable. The only disappointing feature was the 'cooled' seats. I can't even feel them ventilating. They only make noise... and A LOT of it :D.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
So the dude goes into the blower wheel for some cardio and someone decides to turn the fan to max. Jeez, unlucky. Although he looks to be in ok shape, considering. Is there enough pelt to make a tasteful addition such as a mouse hide appointed shift knob cover?

Re air coming into the cabin IIRC mine doesn't allow it with the HVAC off. The only way to properly check the door for sure is with the ign on and also prob engine running. OP hope you get it sorted out.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It absolutely has to be closed... unless something is not working right.
To clarify, I meant the door stay closed if in Recirc and the car is shut off. I would assume the air intake door stays in whatever position it's in when the car is shut off. To design it otherwise seems stupid IMO.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Re air coming into the cabin IIRC mine doesn't allow it with the HVAC off. The only way to properly check the door for sure is with the ign on and also prob engine running. OP hope you get it sorted out.
Mouse hide shift knob cover ... :cwl:

So if your HVAC is off and your cruising down the road at 60 MPH you can't feel any air flow from the vents? I can on my GT. Maybe you have your system on Recirc all the time?

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Correct, I checked on a trip a while back. But I'm certainly going to check again when I get it back tomorrow!

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
I have struggled with this problem in several cars for years outside and in the garage. We live in a warm climate and are surrounded by wheat fields and vineyards which means lots of rodents. Wire damage is a real issue, especially since the EPA mandated organic wire sheathing in 2005-6. Today's car wire harnesses are like shoestring licorice to all sorts of rodents like mice rats squirrels and rabbits. My 2016 Ford van was damaged 3 times outside, I set mouse traps, no luck. Set up a night vision trail cam - saw rabbits climbing up into the engine compartment.
Got 2 cats from a rescue program. They kill the crap out of everything. Problem diminished but it is a long standing problem for rural places. Research shows strong smells and lights can disturb rodent traffic patterns. So can store bought predator urine but, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. lol

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I would assume the air intake door stays in whatever position it's in when the car is shut off. To design it otherwise seems stupid IMO.
Indeed. But many vehicles keep the door closed with HVAC off, like F-150s. So the only way to have airflow in the cabin is with HVAC on. Hope my Bullitt is different, and it appears like it is :D. Will wait for confirmation... or I'd find out in a few months.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Indeed. But many vehicles keep the door closed with HVAC off, like F-150s. So the only way to have airflow in the cabin is with HVAC on. Hope my Bullitt is different, and it appears like it is :D. Will wait for confirmation... or I'd find out in a few months.
Re: red text ... maybe to keep mice out. Let us know if your Bullitt is like what I see on my GT.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
So back to the mouse issue...

@GT Pony I tested mine today while driving and there's not a whisper of air coming through the vents with HVAC off. Recirc was 'off' ie ambient air was entering the cabin before I turned the HVAC off .

So either the sneaky little wannabe-rat bastard has hacked your car and knows how to use forscan, or there may be an issue with the flap.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So back to the mouse issue...

@GT Pony I tested mine today while driving and there's not a whisper of air coming through the vents with HVAC off. Recirc was 'off' ie ambient air was entering the cabin before I turned the HVAC off .

So either the sneaky little wannabe-rat bastard has hacked your car and knows how to use forscan, or there may be an issue with the flap.
I'll check mine again next time I take it out, just in case I was imagining it. Could be the flow is super low, and only sensed on a cold day. I'll do some more testing.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Tested mine today while driving and there's not a whisper of air coming through the vents with HVAC off
I knew it. Not what I wanted to hear, but suspected that all along, since my F-150 was exactly the same. Oh well. Thank you for the bad news. Ha ha.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I'll check mine again next time I take it out, just in case I was imagining it. Could be the flow is super low, and only sensed on a cold day. I'll do some more testing.
Could be, although when I did it today outside temp was 10 deg C and the controller was set to 19 deg C.

Last edited: