Sponsored

Have any of you changed the MT-82 and Torsen fluids really early???

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Any preferred vendor where to buy the fluids? Thx.

Finally, does anybody here have the instructions to change both MT-82 D4 and Tremec fluids from the service manual? It'd be greatly appreciated :D. Need the torque values, and the sealant to use on the drain/fill plugs. If the tranny drain plug is at the front or rear of the tranny, I could just lift the car to drain the most fluid, and just pour back the drained amount, without having to level the car. But if it's more in the middle, then I'd have no choice. I'd probably put the car on ramps in the front, and lift the rear from the jacking points. I'm going to mark a level where it is now, so I put it exactly at the same stance on the air. Thanks guys.
Optimum Performance sells a kit for like $170 that includes all fluids, pumps, plus really great instructions and helpful stuff like a pre-marked zip tie that will show you exactly how much fluid to put in. I've ordered from them a few times, and they're fantastic! Regardless, you're going to want to have the car level to complete this work.

JR
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but basically no input from D4 owners. Ha ha. Guess very few are like me, who like to change fluids the first time early
both fluids were changed out within first 2000 miles or so. Engine was changed out at 1k.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
both fluids were changed out within first 2000 miles or so. Engine was changed out at 1k.
Hey Shogun, may I ask what did you use on everything, and now that you must have some miles on the car after that, describe the differences you felt? And if you were to do it again, would you use the same fluids, and why? And if not, which ones instead? I'd greatly appreciate your input. I'm getting close to my first oil chance. Thank you.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I used Royal Purple 75w140 or something for the Diff. Amsoil in the trans. 1st engine oil change was done by the dealer so they probably put that 5w20 semi-synth in there. The next oil change (at 5000mi) was to Penzoil full synth 10w30 (https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/da8dc613-a398-4814-8c6f-f02f9b9603ba.pdf).

The ecoboost got Castrol's full-synth Magnatec dexos2 5w30 recently when it got the Mishimoto oil cooler. It's first oil change was also by the dealer so it got whatever Ford puts in the case. I have a bunch of Penzoil 5w30 and Euro-spec 5w40 as well - cleaned out my local area.

Amsoil gear oil is going into the Diff next time. I recommend reading
http://www.syntheticoilhq.com/pdf/g2457-gearoilcomparison.pdf

I added IRS and Diff bushings as well as the Steeda shifter bracket and trans insert all at the same time so a 'fluids only' comparison is not really possible. The one noticeable difference was 'balkiness' when cold. With the original oil in February, it fought you. With the new oil (and bracket) it's no Tremec but cold temps are not a hindrance I can detect.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks a lot for your input; greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, just talked to Steeda, after finding this on their site: https://www.steeda.com/motorcraft-xl-18-mustang-mt82-transmission-additive
The guy told me Ford put out a TSB like 6 months ago to include that additive to the MT-82 trannies... but does that include the D4 version??? I've never seen that TSB, so if somebody has it (or at least the number), please post it. My owner's manual has no mention of that additive at all; only for the differential. I'm also curious if the 2017 and prior MT-82s also called for DCT fluid, or was that a change in 2018 with the D4? Thx.

Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I was getting the little "nibble" grinding when I shifted. I changed my MT-82 fluid at around 500 miles with BG Synchroshift 2 and now it shifts wonderful, except for 5th gear I still get a little bit, but that goes away after a few min.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thank you for all the additional info. But I found 2 unmentioned issues, and would like your opinion. As well as service manual instructions for the MT-82 D4 transmission, and 3.73 Torsen oil changes, if somebody has them, and is nice enough to post them here (or PM them to me, if not allowed).

Issue #1 (tranny)- Steeda says (and sells) that Ford issued a TSB recommending that all MT-82 (2011-2020) owners now need to use this Motorcraft friction modifier in those transmissions: https://www.steeda.com/motorcraft-xl-18-mustang-mt82-transmission-additive . I've never seen such TSB, so I want to know if there's any truth to that or not. My 2019 owner's manual doesn't say anything (just for the Torsen), so I'm curious if the 2019 service manual does. And as a related question, if I decide to use BG Synchro Shift II (most likely), should I use that Motorcraft additive or not? Curious about that too. Thanks guys.

Issue #2 (Torsen)- Saw this BG Fluid kit (https://www.opmustang.com/store/p2/...FORD_MUSTANG_REAR_AXLE_LUBE_CHANGE_KIT.html#/ ). It includes 2 qts, transfer pump... and a DIP STICK. Never saw that mentioned anywhere. Apparently, the correct fluid level is lower than when it overflows... which has been the method on all my previous differentials. Is it true? That's also why I asked about instructions on the service manual. Manual has total capacity, but many times there's leftover fluid in there. Plus it'd be a PITA having to precisely measure that capacity, so want to hear how you do the 3.73 Torsen on PP1s. Thank you :).

Last edited:
OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :D Will call them tomorrow about the 2 questions above, and post results. I might order the kit for both tranny and Torsen, and save $9 :). Just need to know what's the deal with that MT-82 additive; is it for the D4 or not? And if the dipstick is needed on the clutch-type diff, or the Torsen, which is mine. By the way, I initially said the dipstick was for the tranny, but I was wrong; sorry about that. Already edited that post asking the same question but asking if it applies to the Torsen, or clutch-type. Hey, I just had chemo today, so hope I'm forgiven. Ha ha. Take care gang.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Again with your google crap? Geez; give it a rest man.

The Motorcraft fluid page (which is this: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/axlelubeUS.pdf ) doesn't say anything about not adding it to the Torsen, so it should be added. Read over the BG fluid site, which sells their Torsen fluid with and without the FM, that no damage if not used... but the chatter at full or near full lock is not pleasant. So unless you want the more aggressive locking action feel for racing or aggressive street riding, and don't mind the chattering, it's generally better to use it. Since I'm not going to use the car for racing, and I like how it feels now, I'll use it.

EDIT: The Motorcraft page says Torsen takes 2 qts (4.0 pints). Owner's manual says 1.7 qts (with the FM added). And BG says 1.8 qts. Who the hell is right? :D Thx.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So the additive is for 'LS' ie clutchpack. A Torsen is NOT a limited-slip. QED no FM applies. Now I have no idea why GT350/500 get the FM (ed. because they all have the same Torsen as the EB/GT Perf Pack cars do ???). I guess they throw it in because of heavier duty loads? In any event it doesn't matter if you use it or not. Just change the oil from time to time.

1.7-2.0qt pick a number you like. It doesn't matter. It's a spread of about 280cc or 4%. Split the difference and put 1.85qt in including the FM contribution.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't give a crap about earlier versions. The Motorcraft page you posted calls for it on 'LS' (Torsen is an LS, but without a clutch), and there's no exclusion for it. The owner's manual also calls for it. And BG also recommends getting it for street use, so do whatever you want with your car, but I'll use it. And I assume most other folks here, if not using the car for the track.

Hey gang, I edited my prior post about the conflicting fill amounts for the differential, but will include it here, for those who already read it: The Motorcraft page says 'IT' takes 2 qts (4.0 pints). Owner's manual says 1.7 qts (with the FM added). And BG says 1.8 qts. Who the hell is right? :D And I put 'IT' in capital letters and quotes because there's no differentiation between the clutch-pack and the Torsen. Are their cases exactly the same then? Just checking. Thank you.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Changed the Torsen fluid to Red Line synthetic 75W85 with friction modifier at 2500 miles with the 4.09 gear installation. It's been fine, not a peep from the rear. A $10 hand pump is a must. And for checking the fluid level I just bent a piece of wire to the correct size.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
BG is recommending I go with 75/140, even though I'll never track my car. I live in a hot climate (TX), but I think their 75W-90 would be more than enough IMO. Thoughts? Hey Mike, what's the official correct level for the Torsen? I don't know who to believe with the fill amount. The Motorcraft official fluid document calls for 2-qts, my owner's manual 1.7 qts (with the FM added), and BG 1.8 qts. And BG includes a plastic dipstick that looks like a zip-tie with a 90-deg bend and a dab of paint. Comments welcome :D.
Sponsored