Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Not bad, using GT350 parts,,,the 6 speed in the GT350 is stout. That will satisfy the row your gears folks. Only downside for me....

WTB HOOD SCOOP !
Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
It looks like a pretty good package and about what I expected.

Still a bit disappointed that they didn't just throw on the GT350 brakes from the parts bin. They went 95% of the way towards making a 5.0L CPC version of the GT350 and stopped there for some reason. But you can always buy those and fit them yourself.

I don't dig the fake fog lights. But you can swap the grille.

But by far, the worst part is this:

limited-edition 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Can you feel the ADM's coming on yet? This isn't going to help Ford sell more Mustangs because the average consumer won't know what it is. Most people can tell the difference between a V6, EB, or GT. Ford sells those in equal numbers. Ford sold a large quantity of 1969 Mach 1's as well, it was a quarter of production. It outsold the standard Fastback! Back then, you probably knew someone who had a Mach 1. My own father had one.

I have yet to come across a single person in day-to-day life who knows what my GT350 is though. The most common questions I get in parking lots: "Is it the 5.0?", "Is it supercharged?" and "Is it the 4.6?" - in that order.

Not a single person has had any idea what's special about it. Bet you it's going to be the same for this Mach 1. The only people who will know what's different about it were going to buy a Mustang anyway. And people who would otherwise be interested in a track-focused version of the Mustang but have nothing invested in the Mach 1 name won't be willing to pay the ADM.

It's a negative feedback loop for sales.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Basically a detuned Shelby without the Voodoo engine or an upgraded Bullitt with the same HP. They'll sell everyone they make. Get ready for the ADM.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So is putting the Tremec in the Mach 1 a not-so-subtle admission by Ford that the MT82 really is garbage?
no. It just offers them the opportunity to charge $3000 for a $1000 option and keep the Tremec contract alive. I would guess Tremec offered them a further discount if they could keep the assembly-line running a little bit longer - say 10k units worth.

6MT are a vanishingly small percentage now and really, really hard to find in Challenger, and now that Chevy has succumbed to consumer sentiment and allowing A10 to be ordered on the 1LE cars, Tremec was probably in somewhat of a panic as their units sold was about to crash to nothing.

I wonder what Chevy is doing for A10 cooling and how it matches up to Ford's solution. Since Chevy actually expects 1LE customers to go to the track. Or maybe there is a subscript on the owner's manual that says "A10 on track may go into over-heat limp mode".

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Agreed. I think based on what they did/didn't do with this car, some of the press release comments, we're going to see a Boss, that's more of a "direct replacement" to the GT350 in terms of power, performance and yeah, probably price as well.

Start with a Mach I, 6-speed (Tremec) manual, Handling Package
+45HP / +400-ish RPM, with possibly a move to the 5.2L block
GT350 brakes
Rear seat delete option
Small aero tweaks / possible BIG aero/wing like the GT500 (but not CF)

With S650 due for the '23MY, I can't see them doing any more special edition/limited editions for S550.

Plus, a Boss has to be a 302 / 5.0 (and I don't think they'd ever stretch the Coyote to 351 cubes, either).

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
BUT WILL THE REV MATCH BE AVAILABLE AS AN UPDATE ON EXISTING GT350'S?!?!

5.4dreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 gt500
I think it loos awesome! And the addition of the GT350 transmission is great! But its all gonna depend on price.

Will it beat a 1LE around a track for a similar price:question:
No it will not . The gt350 can't beat a 45k Camaro why would this 1.

Last edited:

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
I like it overall. Digging the use of Shelby parts and the better manual transmission. Slightly underwhelmed by the reused Bullitt engine, though. How cool would it have been if they tossed the Cobra Jet manifold on it with a unique hood to clear it? A factory Cobra Jet Mach 1 for the first time since '71 would have been a really cool car.

I'm a little disappointed by the graphics and badging. Was hoping it would draw more 1969 inspiration with a more blacked out hood, maybe the slick hood pins from the GT500, and reflective tape rocker stripes with a bit more character.

But literally all of that can be resolved after purchase. The base package is a pretty enticing deal from a factory street car point of view. Interested in what MSRP will be and how badly it'll get marked up.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
With S650 due for the '23MY, I can't see them doing any more special edition/limited editions for S550.

Plus, a Boss has to be a 302 / 5.0 (and I don't think they'd ever stretch the Coyote to 351 cubes, either).
Oh yeah, that 5.2 thing was sort of an afterthought (for pursuing GT350 level output), but you are so right, I guess a Boss without a 302 would like a Mustang with an electric motor ... oh wait ... :giggle:

Dang, yeah, it would be tight to squeeze a Boss into production by MY22, though that assumes that MY23 target holds. Hell, I can see the Mustang sales staying solid, or even an uptick motivating Ford to slide the S650 back a MY, and milk the S500 platform for another year.

Sponsored

2017Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Parts bin special.... Exactly like I thought. They didn't even bother giving the bullitt engine a revised tune to make more hp. Now all that's left is the $50k+ price tag announcement.
I definitely feel you. It's why I, in essence, recreated my own "Mach 1". I had a gut feeling when the S550 came out, this would be the next throwback heritage for a Mach 1 since they did the boss 302 for the S197. I think I created something much more personalized and special for me that goes above and beyond the parts bin.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
or a Mach1 Boss edition with 5.2l CPC no sooner than 2022 or as a truly "limited" run of 302 copies during MY23. If you're gonna do "limited" do it for real, not just slap "limited" on a 5000-unit/yr production run.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Positives:
I love the overall look of the Grey w/ orange accents and handling package. The optional wheels are very cool looking - but I wish Ford would use forged wheels to save some weight. I like the Tremec and love that the A10 is available, and that the Mach1 uses parts from the GT500 and GT350. I like the revised front end and lower side air intakes - a nice cross between the standard GT and the GT350. I love the back end with the handling package (not a big fan of the base lip spoilers). I like the grey pony on the front grille. I like the front splitter design better than the PP2's "skinny" splitter. I like that there's more power than a standard GT, but...

Negatives:
Why "only" 480 hp? Wish it had more hp to differentiate it more from the Bullitt. I don't like the retro style base wheels at all (I also don't like the Bullitt wheels), nor the round openings in the grille (I realize those are a throwback thing). I am concerned about weight, with the additional, albeit necessary, coolers, for track use.

Overall, I like it, but probably won't be trading in my '18 GT Premium PP1 A10 w/ MagneRide for one...

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
No it will no . The gt350 can't beat a 45k Camaro why would this 1.
So are you actually cross shopping a Mach I anymore? Seems like a Camaro is sort of a no brainer for you, though you also said you sold your ZL1, so I guess it didn't push the right buttons[?]

Seems like you need to find a '20 GT500 to replace your '11 :D

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
doubtful, on price alone unless Ford hits $45k. Then there's the issue of GM's vastly superior (on paper at least) driver-assist track modes (chassis stability, torque vectoring, brake yaw control) and Magneride tuning. But it's a decent step closer than before.
Based on sales, as good as the Camaro is to drive, it seems to really miss the mark in so many other areas that the Mustang nails it. If the Mustang is even close in terms of performance it will be a success. The rest of the car is just so much more superior and appealing (ergonomics, looks, etc) to the Camaro.
Sponsored