Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Interesting take on the Mag500 wheels.
Maybe the 'fog lights' can be used for a cold air intake?
Can't wait to see a grabber yellow version.
Sponsored

mjr1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I have mixed feelings. I'm very happy with the Tremec 6 speed from the GT350, the engine oil and axle coolers, and the revised front end. I'm disappointed with the power figures and the hood. This is the Mach 1 for crying out loud! I was hoping for a Shaker hood or the NACA ducts. Disappointed to see the hood from the GT. I also expected at least 500hp and a bump in torque. The rumors of 525hp led to high expectations.(Although in the press release there seems to be a hint to a new Boss 302 with the rumored 525 hp. We'll see.) I don't understand the rear brake calipers either. I expected rear Brembos. Overall, I think it's a great package, but just falls a little short in the power department. If Ford prices this right, it will be very appealing.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I think we should be looking at the GT500 as the replacement for GT350. GT350 was supposed to end production after 2018, but the delays in launch of the GT500 kept it in the portfolio. With GT500 on the street, Ford was already positioned to pull the GT350. Mach I is more a replacement for Bullitt and maybe also PP2.
I think the PP2 is gone in 2021 also. Makes me glad I have one.

As for what it replaces, I think price point will tell us. I do not think the base will be in the PP2 sub $54K price maxed out price. Heck, a PP2 could go as low as the low to mid $40's as a base price. I think the base will be higher with the Mach 1 and that will be with next to nothing. Start adding things and I can see the price go as high as $12K more for add ons. I do not see them leaving the huge price gap between the Mach 1 and GT500 if there isn't a Gt350 to bridge the gap. They will sell something on the Mach 1 to help close the gap more.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So the handling package = manual only ?

Not an issue for me, but that’s how I read the announcement.
It reads very ambiguous - it sounds like either the Handling Package is manual only (I hope not, the improved A10 + HP would be killer on track) __or__, and this is how I read it in another press release: If you get the Handling Package with a manual, then the manual is a Tremec. Er, but then if it's that latter reading, does that mean, non HP cars are only auto? Or that they get the MT82??

You may be right.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I love the look. I'd buy that.. Then add boost, completely ruining it.

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Looks good. Grille replacement and sticker removal away from great. It's a shame Ford continues to fuck their customers over with this "limited edition" nonsense. Wonder how many of these will sit on lots like the Bullitts after dealers place large ADMs on them.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Only the handling pack would be of interest similar to why I don't think the Bullitt is that special either as I don't think it brings that much to the table. What I am trying to say is that the none handling pack is not that special that I would get one as I have no bond with Mach 1 as a model. Don't know if that makes any sense :D

I guess it is then deemed that the 10R80 is not capable for track use if it is not included in the handling pack version. For utter performance it is a night and day difference between the manual and 10R80 in the 18+ models.
If the handling pack would come with the 10R80 that would be golden. I don't mind rowing gears with what most likely is an awsome gearbox but the 10R80 is a different animals specially in that type of car.

Handling pack appears to be manual 6-speed only.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Only the handling pack would be of interest similar to why I don't think the Bullitt is that special either as I don't think it brings that much to the table. What I am trying to say is that the none handling pack is not that special that I would get one as I have no bond with Mach 1 as a model. Don't know if that makes any sense :D

I guess it is then deemed that the 10R80 is not capable for track use if it is not included in the handling pack version. For utter performance it is a night and day difference between the manual and 10R80 in the 18+ models.
If the handling pack would come with the 10R80 that would be golden. I don't mind rowing gears with what most likely is an awsome gearbox but the 10R80 is a different animals specially in that type of car.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ford plays this like Camaro played the ZL1 1LE and SS 1LE. Both were launched with 6MT only and then added the 10AT later.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the shift behavior of the 10R upsets the chassis. I agree the artificial distinction of 'no handling pack for you A10 people' is a bit gratuitous, but it is a "nice slap in the face" for choosing the wrong gear box. :)

For the A10 to work on a road circuit you'd have to put it into M mode or at least specify tuning parameters as to where to draw the line on shift points and how G-loading tempers the engagement point. Say you're in a Monza arc and need to shift twice before corner exit - you'd likely end up in the wall with how the A10 shifts in Track mode.

Now what would be really cool would be a GPS-assisted 'learn the track mode' that could replicate manual shift inputs in fully auto mode - ie, hold a gear instead of shifting up only to shift down 3 for the corner 100 yards away.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I doubt it's really 'limited' in any overt way. @martinjlm do you have PP2 and Bullitt production break down? True there were ADMs on Bullitts (even still to this day!) but they didn't last much past the initial wave of 'gotta have it' buyers. My GTI Rabbitt was far more 'limited' (only 500 made in Cornflow Blue) and I didn't pay any ADM, there was a small price bump over the standard 'S' and the resell was total crap.
The 2003 Mach 1 was supposed to be a one year car with 6500 made. It went two with a total production of 16,834. Wonder how this compares to the Bullitt.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It seems silly to chest thump over the upgrades to the A10, including major cooling improvements, all in the context of this being a "handling variant" of the Mustang ... and then not be able to bundle it with the HP.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Ok, I take it back - these look awesome, well the cream coloured one with the wheels does. Great that can get it with a stick shift. This looks a much better package than the Bullit.
The only question is will Ford be brining this to the UK??

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Ok, I take it back - these look awesome, well the cream coloured one with the wheels does. Great that can get it with a stick shift. This looks a much better package than the Bullit.
The only question is will Ford be brining this to the UK??
Press release says it's global.
Sponsored