5Spurs Padded Leather Door arm rest

Robbo_75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
For those who may not have seen this, 5spurs (make an awesome cupholder cover) is looking at doing a door armrest. So far they have only had 8 people complete the survey. They need a heap more or the concept will be scrapped. I sent Kevin an email, this is his reply. Hi Robbo,
The Door rest is a good idea too however I can't justify the development costs with only 8 people interested in it.
If you believe you can generate more interest by sharing with more Mustang owners then it'll be done.
In addition to that if you can spread word about the cupholder cover to more people like you did with the bloke with a BULLITT then I can use those funds towards development of the Door rest. That's how I funded development of the Shifter Surround and Wheelcaps which should be available soon.
- Kevin Rodricks
https://5spurs.com/padded-leather-door-rest-survey/
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks for posting and kudos to someone who's willing to develop such things. It's not for me but there are things I'd like to see such as an Alcantara cover for the bottom portion of the front door trim that gets scuffed.

Not wishing to hijack but maybe Kevin 5spurs could set up as a trader on here and do a survey of what people want so the results can guide the r&d.

-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
Thanks for posting and kudos to someone who's willing to develop such things. It's not for me but there are things I'd like to see such as an Alcantara cover for the bottom portion of the front door trim that gets scuffed.

Not wishing to hijack but maybe Kevin 5spurs could set up as a trader on here and do a survey of what people want so the results can guide the r&d.
Now that I would buy.

5 SPURS

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
5spurs.com
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2020 BULLITT

Do you have a pic of the section of your door that gets scuffed up?
Some OEM doors have the vinyl/faux leather which can be a cost effective solution.

Alcantara gets dirty easily and comes at a premium cost.
Also consider the application. For example, on my console armrest, I use real leather hide and other high grade materials so my customers get to rest their arm on a high quality product. A part that gets kicked and scuffed up frequently requires a different material than Alcantara.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi Kevin, it's the section on most cars that gets scuffed when people get out and boot the door trim with the side of their foot. Typically it's just above the bottom of the door trim and towards the front, below where the door speaker is usually located. There's a thread on it here that shows the general area, personally I'm not a fan of the hard panel look.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/door-panel-scuffs.32608/

There's also this but I wouldn't put a sticker on my door:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Car-I...m23bb4e4568:g:nowAAOSwqUBcxFDr&frcectupt=true

Re suggesting Alcantara, I've just known it to be a tough material but have seen OEMs use a strip of very short pile carpet along the bottom of the door trim which probably just doesn't scuff and is easy to clean. I also thought Alcantara might be easier to edge properly along the top of the strip so it doesn't look DIY. That said, I'm no trimmer.

Last edited:

5 SPURS

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
5spurs.com
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2020 BULLITT
I can create a 3-5mm abrasion and tear resistant foam cover for the outer sections of the door and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

OEM vs Foam Padding:

OEM.jpg
OEMNeo01.jpg

@Robbo_75 what do you think of this foam padding on the door instead of the leather door-rest? It's the same material on the underside of the KR Console Armrest. Foam padding will be more cost effective than leather too.

OP
OP
Robbo_75

Robbo_75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I can create a 3-5mm abrasion and tear resistant foam cover for the outer sections of the door and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

OEM vs Foam Padding:

OEM.jpg
OEMNeo01.jpg

@Robbo_75 what do you think of this foam padding on the door instead of the leather door-rest? It's the same material on the underside of the KR Console Armrest. Foam padding will be more cost effective than leather too.
If it's what I think I am looking at , seems to be OK. How would you attach it, glue?

PizzyP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
How heat resistant would that foam be? I'll have to take off my arm rest today when i get in after the sun been beating down on the car for a bit to get an idea, but thats not exactly the same. I do have dark (5%) tint on my windows.

Sponsored

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Hi Kevin, it's the section on most cars that gets scuffed when people get out and boot the door trim with the side of their foot. Typically it's just above the bottom of the door trim and towards the front, below where the door speaker is usually located. There's a thread on it here that shows the general area, personally I'm not a fan of the hard panel look.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/door-panel-scuffs.32608/

There's also this but I wouldn't put a sticker on my door:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Car-I...m23bb4e4568:g:nowAAOSwqUBcxFDr&frcectupt=true

Re suggesting Alcantara, I've just known it to be a tough material but have seen OEMs use a strip of very short pile carpet along the bottom of the door trim which probably just doesn't scuff and is easy to clean. I also thought Alcantara might be easier to edge properly along the top of the strip so it doesn't look DIY. That said, I'm no trimmer.
Another option for you are the kickplates marketed by RPI and you can have them painted any colour
I scratched the door with my shoe on my GT and could never get the mark out of the vynl.
The kickplates are great but the adhesive supplied by RPI is useless

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks Phil, they're actually the ones I linked to in my post. They probably use the same adhesive manufacturer for the tape that comes with their splash guards grrr. How does the paint hold up in use?

This is the type of thing I was thinking of initially, it's from a 997.

Before.jpg
Sponsored