Hub stands for home alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I've seen a few brands that look really nice and go for ~$1000-1300 for the set. It's a lot to stomach but the parts do look super high quality and probably in the end, worth that. I already have toe plates and strings, but those are good for checking alignment. If you need to adjust with the setup tool in place, they don't help at all, particularly for the rear.

I stumbled on these, but I am wary of this just being chinese junk. Thoughts?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hub-Stands...693264?hash=item59491c7d90:g:ysQAAOSwsKRee8tJ
Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I've seen a few brands that look really nice and go for ~$1000-1300 for the set. It's a lot to stomach but the parts do look super high quality and probably in the end, worth that. I already have toe plates and strings, but those are good for checking alignment. If you need to adjust with the setup tool in place, they don't help at all, particularly for the rear.

I stumbled on these, but I am wary of this just being chinese junk. Thoughts?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hub-Stands...693264?hash=item59491c7d90:g:ysQAAOSwsKRee8tJ
I have always done my own alignments and racecar scaling. One issue is can they support a 4000lb car or at least 3500+ some engineering safety factor like 2x or 7000lbs? Second is I can't tell how they deal with the stiction issue. all hub stand need to have a way to allow the bottom of the plate to slide or ball bearings or something so that the suspension can fully relax and then there is the stichion of the s550 suspension itself. The S550 is very bad there and it is extremely difficult to get confident repeatable results. There is no question that access makes life easier but it can be done with limited access. I can do it on my twin post lift but it would be faster on a 4 post with undercarriage access. Hub stands would be about as fast as 4 post with access. I think 4post the best because you don't have to crawl around on the ground and I'm old. The chinese plates in one pic show a silver metal cylinder thing. Maybe that captures a bearing? If these stands have no bearing you could probably make one or put stands on slip plates or your scales and scales on slip plates.

Be careful ordering from china. I have completely stopped doing that. EBAY and ownership partner Paypal are cheating buyers. It used to be EB and PP where right on it if an item does not show up. EBay now allows a seller to list an item as "shipped" even if the seller has no item and it has not been shipped. A tracking # is not needed. Then the seller can take months or never to ship your item and you can't cancel or get a refund because the item has "shipped." You inquire to Ebay and they say it has been too long but not your fault go deal with paypal. Paypal takes even more time to sort this out and soemtimes you never get a refund. This is a new thing for 2020 and made worse by covid-19 where buyers are expected to wait longer for items to be shipped. I call total BS on that because good businesses will ship product immediately and you will get your items. J&M parts is one of the good guys ordered on Friday receive parts on Tuesday! That is just normal service but today is like they are doing something special.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
From their website: Do not use Hub-Stands as a dolly — Do not exceed 800lbs per Hub-Stand

And best I can tell its more for everything you need like bearings and arms. That's getting close to a good set of stands without the china factor. I'll take a risk on a china product sometimes but it has to be 1/4 the cost of the good product.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I'm sure this is more than you want to spend, but these are relatively economical & Marty makes them in-house. I've used his open-wheel versions. The ones for bigger cars are pretty beefy. It makes doing setup much easier, more accurate & more repeatable.

https://www.mktechnologies.com/products/mkt/mkt_setup_wheels.htm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.