Sponsored

Possible Leak?

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
All,

Just popped out in the car and found a few small droplets of brown oily liquid on the garage floor, tiny amount considering the car hasn't moved in about 5 days so its not pouring out by any means

The location is passenger side pretty much directly underneath the bonnet vent. I opened the bonnet and couldnt see anything but its hot at the moment so don't really want to start feeling things.

Last time i took the GT out was when it rained so i suppose its possible it could just be water that has mixed with some grease in the engine bay somewhere???

Any ideas? Common issues?
Sponsored

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
oil cooler maybe
That’s what I am thinking now although the posts I’ve found with oil cooler problems seem to involve far more liquid than mine. I assume it will continue to leak if it’s the oil cooler. I will pop out tomorrow and get underneath it.

cheers for the advice. I’ve got no idea why my post had those emojis?? Can’t remove them either
upload_2020-6-12_16-21-25.jpeg
upload_2020-6-12_16-21-25.png

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
getting under the car should show you if its oil cooler you can get your hand all around its seals etc to check for leaks.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Take the top of the coolant tank and see if there is an oily film on to of the pink coolant. Most oil cooler failures seem to push oil into the coolant before total collapse and dropping it on the floor. If you suspect failure do not start it and call ford.
You have a facelift model so should be on revision D of the oil cooler. Revision B has the known issue. Revision C is dubious. If yours has gone it would be the first I’ve heard of on the facelift cars. It would also torpedo my plan to replace my oil cooler with a revision D part.
Have you recently done a dyno session or track day perchance?

Sponsored

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Take the top of the coolant tank and see if there is an oily film on to of the pink coolant. Most oil cooler failures seem to push oil into the coolant before total collapse and dropping it on the floor. If you suspect failure do not start it and call ford.
You have a facelift model so should be on revision D of the oil cooler. Revision B has the known issue. Revision C is dubious. If yours has gone it would be the first I’ve heard of on the facelift cars. It would also torpedo my plan to replace my oil cooler with a revision D part.
Have you recently done a dyno session or track day perchance?
nope no dyno or track day. I don’t particularly drive it that hard either and when I do push on it’s very brief. Always letting the car warm up etc.

Right I’m going to have a look at it now and will report back

cheers gents for the advice

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Had a feel about underneath the car and nothing appears to be leaking. The spots hadn’t increased (cleaned them up now so will see if any more appear).
No oily film in the coolant, there is a very slight film but it looks normal to me.
50EDB1A7-8B80-4823-B8C3-3604FB1B70D3.jpeg
28863FEB-E4A6-4C37-9A8A-C510CBDE0F68.jpeg

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
has it just been serviced maybe overfill ? though oil looks a little dark for fresh overfill.
tbh the cars new enough the block should be almost spotless so get in with a torch and have a good rummage around the block you should be able to see where its come from.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
has it just been serviced maybe overfill ? though oil looks a little dark for fresh overfill.
tbh the cars new enough the block should be almost spotless so get in with a torch and have a good rummage around the block you should be able to see where its come from.
no service or any maintenance since I collected it in December and have done 3000 miles.
The spots of oily liquid are very watery and I’ve also now noticed other brown watery stains on the floor at the rear wheel arch at the front so not the exhaust.

I used some different snow foam car wash and am thinking maybe it reacts in a way that’s causing excess trapped water to turn brown. Or is that wishful thinking!

I think I will book it in as I also have a strange springy like noise coming from the steering wheel when cold and turning 3/4 lock. It may well be normal as it doesn’t sound particularly broken. Had a similar characteristic in my M2 which was normal.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
it could just be rusty/mucky water but if it feels oily between your fingers it you need to keep tracking. check your sump plug is tight we've seen then ship from ford lose and oil leaking.

Sponsored
OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Been out this morning moved the car out of the garage and another puddle has appeared of what is without doubt oil of some sort, not as dark this time.

Calling Ford now, I assume this is a flat bed truck job Ford need to use to collect the car?

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Update:

AA man thinks its from the Oil Filter but cant fully get it to be 100%. Also said that oil amount is minimal on any components. Oil levels all ok

Booking it in at Ford.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
To do a quick check on the oil filter you can turn the front wheels all the way to the left (passenger side on your import car) and look into the engine bay in front of the wheel and below the fender liner. You should be able to see the filter from that point. Reach in with your hand and feel the bottom of the filter for oil. Some of them are not tightened properly from the factory. Give it a twist to see if it's loose. Hand tighten it some if it is, wipe down, and re-check a day later. If it was loose you will have oil sitting on top of the filter access door and that may continue to drip unless you clean it off.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
To do a quick check on the oil filter you can turn the front wheels all the way to the left (passenger side on your import car) and look into the engine bay in front of the wheel and below the fender liner. You should be able to see the filter from that point. Reach in with your hand and feel the bottom of the filter for oil. Some of them are not tightened properly from the factory. Give it a twist to see if it's loose. Hand tighten it some if it is, wipe down, and re-check a day later. If it was loose you will have oil sitting on top of the filter access door and that may continue to drip unless you clean it off.
I tried your suggestion but everything pretty much is encased with plastic panels and flaps in the wheel arch so nothing to see or feed your hand through.
I can see where the oil is leaking onto though so at least the dealer shouldn’t have an issue finding the source. Booked in next Tuesday

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
That's odd, I can reach mine.

I'm sure it's just a loose filter. Good luck!
Sponsored