Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck disbanding and de-funding police unions. It's simply a knee-jerk reaction... and a stupid one at that.

There needs to be some reform that involves training and accountability, etc. That is where compromise will be made.

OP
OP
lateinthegame

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Good luck disbanding and de-funding police unions. It's simply a knee-jerk reaction... and a stupid one at that.

There needs to be some reform that involves training and accountability, etc. That is where compromise will be made.
It is the criminals that want disbanding. That way they can run the city and have a Meth Mayor

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Funny, I see no effort by any mayor or other 'pro defund/disband police' supporting politician leading the cause by doing away with their own personal security staff first. Lead by example is what I was always taught.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lateinthegame

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
New Minneapolis Meth Lemonade stand. The drug dealers will be able to sell all the time on the street with no cops.

upload_2020-6-12_17-46-33.png

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So cities want to defund/disband the police. So let's say that happens. Who you gonna call? Ok, so someone calls 911, "911, what is your emergency?". Woman says, "he is breaking into my bedroom and he has a gun!". 911 responds, "Ok, we have an opening next Thursday, will that work for you?"
Who you gonna call is a tiny issue compared to the massive increases in things to call about. Cops don't just respond, the fact that they do respond deters crime. Take that away and the crimes will skyrocket.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Bingo.

Voices that have been silenced have a platform and people are listening, opening their eyes and understanding this is an “us” problem and not a “their” issue.

Dismantling police would be outright dangerous and would be 100% the wrong reaction to everything that’s going on. No one would want to live in that society - we would become a third nation country overnight where the rich and corrupt police everyone else.

What needs to happen is reform. The job as a cop is a dirty job in itself. You deal with the worst of the worst, do and see shit that’s incredibly mentally taxing. A high school dropout can become a cop if you get through the academy and are physically fit and not a criminal. Not exactly setting the bar high, but that doesn’t mean all police are uneducated or not smart enough to do something much more difficult to qualify for.

That being said - it leaves a big hole for those that are attracted to the power, believe and do what they’re instructed and don’t think different for themselves, don’t have personal experience or reason to not care for those that aren’t like them.

Criminals come in all colors. It’s not disputable that minorities OFTEN get treated different (in approach, conflict resolution, restraint, search/seizure, likelihood to arrest) because it’s been engrained in peoples DNA that those that are different from you are inferior, are criminals, are likely to resist, etc. I can’t tell you how many “good ole boys” I grew up with that threw the N word around religiously and lived in complete predjuce in everything they do. How does that work when you have an LEO with that mentality?

This is a big issue.. attention is being drawn in a big way. “Defunding” in the sense of eliminating the police is ridiculous. Re-allocation of police duties and investment of training, policies and procedures will produce dividends that keep HUMANS on both side of the law alive.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the police have refused to police themselves and rid their ranks of problem behavior. Fix that and most of this problem goes away. Yank the preposterous pensions and you also cull the 'just in it for my pension' mentality that is far, far too common. And you also free up all kinds of millions out of state and local budgets they could do something more useful with it - like counselors and community enterprise zones.

Being a cop is a thankless job - dealing with the dregs of society will wear anybody down and you get that bunker/enemy outlook to life and all you run across. If you're a beat cop, maybe you serve 3 months tops and then you rotate to some other non-confrontational gig to blow off steam and recalibrate social norms. Their work is rendered futile in many a democrat jurisdiction that are staffed by AG or mayors that think playing nicey-nice with the criminals is somehow supposed to dissuade them from acting all criminal'y.

Stupid ass laws like loose cigarettes and other 'who the f' thought this was a good idea' crimes also involve the police in unnecessary confrontations. Get out of the patrol car, and WALK your areas in high density locales. Sure you still need cars but you can't learn the people in your area and establish a relationship if you're just driving around endlessly at 30mph.

At the end of the day the black community needs to face the music of their own culpability. The white man is not your problem, directly. As much as they spout it, white liberals are not the least bit interested in making sure you get off their democrat plantation and are happy to enable the black man's self-destruction. They LOVE having slaves by the millions keeping them in power, stringing them along with cheap handouts and empty words. it was Democrat President Lyndon Baines Johnson who stated, “I’ll have those ni**rs voting Democratic for the next 200 years” as he confided with two like-minded governors on Air Force One regarding his underlying intentions for the “Great Society” programs. Democrats INVENTED the KKK, the dogs at the school house door, Jim Crow, and segregation. The civil rights legislation they fought against for decades and it only passed once they lost enough seats that the Republicans could pass it regardless of their opposition. Planned parenthood was started specifically to kill black babies and keep "the weeds" to a minimum. So why in God's name would any sane black person vote for a Democrat? If Black Lives Matter, why isn't every abortion clinic in ashes?

When your culture CHOOSES to celebrate criminal behavior, when you choose to abandon stable family units, when you choose to go into a life of crime because it's convenient or glamorous, when your papa is god knows who and your momma doesn't beat hte living sh*t out of you for sassing and disobeying, when you act like a hoodlum at school instead of applying yourself to getting an education, etc. this all comes back to personal and family unit choices which round up to community choices. Failure or success starts with the individual, and specifically the parents where it concerns the upbring of the next generation. "your CHICKENS, are coming home, to roost!" quoth Jeremiah Wright. Indeed. The black community did it to themselves.

White Privilege is a mythical advantage the Black leadership uses to explain 50 years of abject failure caused by implementing liberal Democrat policies. If the police are racist - then how did that happen under 5 decades of Democrat control? If you wanna get mad and burn something, start with City Hall and the political apparatchiks (of both colors) you VOTED into power in the fist place.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A lot of people forget police policy is shaped by politicians. Especially democrat ones. The police don't change because being "tough on crime" has been a political platform in America since forever, because its proven to get you votes. The problem is that being "tough on crime" means you need convictions to make it seem like you actually did what you said you would. So "tough on crime" becomes "tough on the poor" since they're the easiest to catch doing something wrong. Thats why I dont think this is a race issue. Plenty of whites have died by the police and nobody cared. Its actually a class issue. As income inequality continues to spiral in this country, shit like this is only going to get worse .

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
the police have refused to police themselves and rid their ranks of problem behavior. Fix that and most of this problem goes away. Yank the preposterous pensions and you also cull the 'just in it for my pension' mentality that is far, far too common. And you also free up all kinds of millions out of state and local budgets they could do something more useful with it - like counselors and community enterprise zones.

Being a cop is a thankless job - dealing with the dregs of society will wear anybody down and you get that bunker/enemy outlook to life and all you run across. If you're a beat cop, maybe you serve 3 months tops and then you rotate to some other non-confrontational gig to blow off steam and recalibrate social norms. Their work is rendered futile in many a democrat jurisdiction that are staffed by AG or mayors that think playing nicey-nice with the criminals is somehow supposed to dissuade them from acting all criminal'y.

Stupid ass laws like loose cigarettes and other 'who the f' thought this was a good idea' crimes also involve the police in unnecessary confrontations. Get out of the patrol car, and WALK your areas in high density locales. Sure you still need cars but you can't learn the people in your area and establish a relationship if you're just driving around endlessly at 30mph.

At the end of the day the black community needs to face the music of their own culpability. The white man is not your problem, directly. As much as they spout it, white liberals are not the least bit interested in making sure you get off their democrat plantation and are happy to enable the black man's self-destruction. They LOVE having slaves by the millions keeping them in power, stringing them along with cheap handouts and empty words. it was Democrat President Lyndon Baines Johnson who stated, “I’ll have those ni**rs voting Democratic for the next 200 years” as he confided with two like-minded governors on Air Force One regarding his underlying intentions for the “Great Society” programs. Democrats INVENTED the KKK, the dogs at the school house door, Jim Crow, and segregation. The civil rights legislation they fought against for decades and it only passed once they lost enough seats that the Republicans could pass it regardless of their opposition. Planned parenthood was started specifically to kill black babies and keep "the weeds" to a minimum. So why in God's name would any sane black person vote for a Democrat? If Black Lives Matter, why isn't every abortion clinic in ashes?

When your culture CHOOSES to celebrate criminal behavior, when you choose to abandon stable family units, when you choose to go into a life of crime because it's convenient or glamorous, when your papa is god knows who and your momma doesn't beat hte living sh*t out of you for sassing and disobeying, when you act like a hoodlum at school instead of applying yourself to getting an education, etc. this all comes back to personal and family unit choices which round up to community choices. Failure or success starts with the individual, and specifically the parents where it concerns the upbring of the next generation. "your CHICKENS, are coming home, to roost!" quoth Jeremiah Wright. Indeed. The black community did it to themselves.

White Privilege is a mythical advantage the Black leadership uses to explain 50 years of abject failure caused by implementing liberal Democrat policies. If the police are racist - then how did that happen under 5 decades of Democrat control? If you wanna get mad and burn something, start with City Hall and the political apparatchiks (of both colors) you VOTED into power in the fist place.
The destruction of the black family unit was a post civil rights thing, but its been applied to all races at this point. Single motherhood is almost celebrated at this point. Unstable families create weak people who are easier to control.

Bugs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback Restomod in GT350 livery
I don't know about other locales, but our Police Department does a lot more than law enforcement.

When my kids were younger, I was a volunteer with the Meridian Police Activities League - a group which promotes athletic competition at little or no expense to local youth. The Police Dept was a great sponsor and benefactor. I was privileged to meet a number of officers and learned about the community activities they were involved in.

They have an extensive Community Services division that fosters many education, youth development and crime prevention programs. These efforts improve relations between the Department and the Public and increase security for everyone. Their programs include:
  • Crime Prevention Education with local leaders,
  • D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) with hot cars at local car shows,
  • National Night Out,
  • Public Safety Academy,
  • Shop with a Cop,
  • Coats for Kids,
  • Neighborhood Watch coordination,
  • Bike Registry,
  • Digital Safety Resources to teach kids about on-line dangers.
  • Annual Basketball Tournament with the kids along with free youth tickets to a professional basketball game (for which they volunteer their time to solicit donations to fund)
  • Youth boxing league
I'm sure there are other initiatives of which I am unaware.

Are these the activities that activists propose to remove from the auspice of the Police Departments?
If we don't have the Officers and staff relating directly to the community in a non-adversarial capacity, how is this supposed to improve relations?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't know about other locales, but our Police Department does a lot more than law enforcement.

When my kids were younger, I was a volunteer with the Meridian Police Activities League - a group which promotes athletic competition at little or no expense to local youth. The Police Dept was a great sponsor and benefactor. I was privileged to meet a number of officers and learned about the community activities they were involved in.

They have an extensive Community Services division that fosters many education, youth development and crime prevention programs. These efforts improve relations between the Department and the Public and increase security for everyone. Their programs include:
  • Crime Prevention Education with local leaders,
  • D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) with hot cars at local car shows,
  • National Night Out,
  • Public Safety Academy,
  • Shop with a Cop,
  • Coats for Kids,
  • Neighborhood Watch coordination,
  • Bike Registry,
  • Digital Safety Resources to teach kids about on-line dangers.
  • Annual Basketball Tournament with the kids along with free youth tickets to a professional basketball game (for which they volunteer their time to solicit donations to fund)
  • Youth boxing league
I'm sure there are other initiatives of which I am unaware.

Are these the activities that activists propose to remove from the auspice of the Police Departments?
If we don't have the Officers and staff relating directly to the community in a non-adversarial capacity, how is this supposed to improve relations?
Community programs are important, especially ones that prompt interaction with officers and show their “human side” to those who are otherwise taught to fear them. It would be a shame to lose that.
Sponsored