Sponsored

Does Anyone Make A "REAR SEAT DELETE" For A Convertible??

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Since the back seats are really nice but TOTALLY USELESS for people I still don't want my dog to ruin them so I was lookin' for a rear seat delete kit but found NOTHING for a convertible??:facepalm:

Is there such a kit somewhere or am I on my own??:idea:
Sponsored

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. Be nice to strap the dog back there and not worry About an airbag.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I've never seen or heard of one. You may have to get one of those universal pet proof seat covers.

Last edited:

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
The only one I've seen was a custom build.

Not that hard to do actually. The guy I saw with it said he used cardboard to get the shape (CAD--- cardboard aided design LOL). Used light wood covered in carpet that was close to the interior carpet and used the plastic panel attachments to go in to holes where the seats mounted.

I forget what he used for the top well. There is a channel or something that the front of the material goes in.

Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
The rear seat is structural. That's why you cant find them. If your going custom, be prepared to add back the support.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Since the back seats are really nice but TOTALLY USELESS for people...
You have the convertible, at least they would have headroom. They would have to be double leg amputees of course.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
The rear seat is structural. That's why you cant find them. If your going custom, be prepared to add back the support.
In a rear seat delete all you remove is the padding. The structural bulkhead remains in place. The "delete" panel simply mounts to the bukhead just like the seat back padding.

I have a picture from my S197 when I installed the 6 point roll bar but can't find it now.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
You have the convertible, at least they would have headroom. They would have to be double leg amputees of course.
Not so. I routinely carry people in the back seat of my GT convertible. That's the reason I bought it. It's actually easier carrying adults than kids who need booster seats. But, you have to move the front seat up a little. I'm short (5'9") so that's no big deal. If you are much over 6' it's probably not practical. It also gives more leg room if you raise the front seat.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Not so. I routinely carry people in the back seat of my GT convertible. That's the reason I bought it. It's actually easier carrying adults than kids who need booster seats. But, you have to move the front seat up a little. I'm short (5'9") so that's no big deal. If you are much over 6' it's probably not practical. It also gives more leg room if you raise the front seat.
+1. I regularly carry my 21 YO son back there. Mom just moves her seat up. At about 6’1”, I can put someone behind me for a short hop, but it’s only been done a couple of times. Initially I considered a Challenger, for its much more usable rear seat, but then I thought, I’m not basing a purchase on the odd time I carry rear seat passengers. Lucky for me, as whenever I see a Challenger now they just look so porky compared to the Mustang, especially with the top down.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Coosawjack

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
My driver's seat is all the way back so it would take an amputee to ride behind me!!:shock:

I didn't realize the back seat back was structural.......that's another problem then!!:frown:

OH WELL.......the back seats do look nice!!:like:

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Again, the back seat CUSHION is not structural.

There is a structural bulkhead that the seat back cushion attaches to. So to make a rear seat delete, you take the cushion off, and instead use a piece of thin plywood with whatever material you want to cover it with, and then use push pins to hold it against the bulkhead; just like the seat cushion is mounted. The only thing you have to spend more time figuring out is how to attach the fabric for the well to your plywood.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately I can't find better pictures of the bulkhead - the back bars of my custom roll bar in my 2006 were attached to that bulkhead. But you can see that the rear seat cushion -- bottom and back -- are removed here. If you look in your trunk you will see that same type of bulkhead as the S197 convertible. It isn't solid and the back cushion simply pushes in to slots to attach.

The bottom cushion also simply uses push pin type attachments to mount to the bottom of the seat area.

012.JPG
016.JPG

OP
OP
Coosawjack

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for taking the time to post photos.....I think I'll leave it as is.......the Dog can ride up front with me!! :idea:
Sponsored