Tech Pack Lawsuit

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And then there's the lug nut lawsuit...
Whaaa?

Edited to add:

I did a quick Google and the suit was found to be frivolous. Maybe the tech pack lawsuit will find a similar fate?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I estimate the overhaul would be to the tune of 5K for each car.

Legal expenses add up pretty quick. Maybe the rationale is that they want to make a stand?
I think he was talking about if Ford could go back in time and make the accounting decision to include coolers in all the 2015 and 2016 cars, how much would it have cost them in comparison to the legal fees. If Ford's accountants had decided from the beginning to just put coolers in "the most track capable Mustang ever".

My guess is the coolers cost less than $500 per car when installed as part of the assembly line process at Flat Rock. And they spent way more on attorneys. Unless they already have the attorneys on salary as permanent employees and then the attorneys can be thought of as free.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think he was talking about if Ford could go back in time and make the accounting decision to include coolers in all the 2015 and 2016 cars, how much would it have cost them in comparison to the legal fees. If Ford's accountants had decided from the beginning to just put coolers in "the most track capable Mustang ever".

My guess is the coolers cost less than $500 per car when installed as part of the assembly line process at Flat Rock. And they spent way more on attorneys. Unless they already have the attorneys on salary as permanent employees and then the attorneys can be thought of as free.
To do the job correctly, you'd need to install the transmission that had the pump.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To do the job correctly, you'd need to install the transmission that had the pump.
Definitely true. I would think that they could have saved money by having a single transmission rather than two different versions to build and inventory. I would think it would make the assembly process easier too if all the cars were the same rather than two different versions.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Definitely true. I would think that they could have saved money by having a single transmission rather than two different versions to build and inventory. I would think it would make the assembly process easier too if all the cars were the same rather than two different versions.
Took them a MY to figure that out..

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
At the time they were trying to build the car at the lowest price point that had features for either the comfort minded driver or the track focused driver. In hind sight, maybe offering the trans and coolers as an additional option for tech pack owners may have been the way to go?

I don't know why a lot of the tech pack owners didn't scoop up the subsidized transmission and cooler package deal way back when. The trans was about $2500 I believe. I have one. Still sitting in my garage in the box.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I bought mine used after the fact (not knowingly). This purchased changed the way I buy cars in the future though, I become a member on that car forum and learn the ins and outs first. I don't own a vette yet but shoot I know more C7 Z06/ZR1 info then the sales guy on the floor now. Not to digress, there's another member on here who sent me line items of what they did and I think if I had a shop do this as I'm not sure I want to take on this endeavor myself, it would roughly be 1,500 with parts and labor to run the lines and install the cooler and auto pump switch to cool the trans. I think most of us are waiting out on this because there is a valid argument. Bottom line is - Is the 350 a street legal race car or is it just another car that gets you from point A to point B. If the tech was designed to get you from point A to point B that's how it should have been marketed. Sadly, at the moment it's a street legal race car that is likely to hit limp. haha.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I bought mine used after the fact (not knowingly). This purchased changed the way I buy cars in the future though, I become a member on that car forum and learn the ins and outs first. I don't own a vette yet but shoot I know more C7 Z06/ZR1 info then the sales guy on the floor now. Not to digress, there's another member on here who sent me line items of what they did and I think if I had a shop do this as I'm not sure I want to take on this endeavor myself, it would roughly be 1,500 with parts and labor to run the lines and install the cooler and auto pump switch to cool the trans. I think most of us are waiting out on this because there is a valid argument. Bottom line is - Is the 350 a street legal race car or is it just another car that gets you from point A to point B. If the tech was designed to get you from point A to point B that's how it should have been marketed. Sadly, at the moment it's a street legal race car that is likely to hit limp. haha.
I think that's how it was marketed.

If you go to the track, you get the track pack.

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
At the time they were trying to build the car at the lowest price point that had features for either the comfort minded driver or the track focused driver. In hind sight, maybe offering the trans and coolers as an additional option for tech pack owners may have been the way to go?

I don't know why a lot of the tech pack owners didn't scoop up the subsidized transmission and cooler package deal way back when. The trans was about $2500 I believe. I have one. Still sitting in my garage in the box.
I bought the kit back then. I think I paid $2800 for the trans. Out the door the kit was about $3400 with everything if I remember correctly. Only the honeycomb grill was not included and I bought that separately.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I bought the kit back then. I think I paid $2800 for the trans. Out the door the kit was about $3400 with everything if I remember correctly. Only the honeycomb grill was not included and I bought that separately.
That's a screaming deal for a transmission and no core fee.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I bought the transmission and cooler and the rear diff cooler and the kit for it as well. It still cost a lot - I had to skip a year of track events to pay for all that stuff, but I really did appreciate that Ford helped us with it.

I think that's how it was marketed.

If you go to the track, you get the track pack.
Yes. I really wish Ford could have just said, "don't buy the base or tech pack car if you're going to the track". It would have been very easy for them to do and it would have saved a lot of hurt feelings. And there would have been no basis for a law suit.

Anyway - I think the GT350 was and is an awesome car and I hope Ford builds similar stuff in the future. Just .. maybe.. with a little more clarity for people like me. I could have bought the track pack and swapped out the seats, or just waited for 2017. Either would have been great.
Sponsored