Suspension update and upgrades

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium, 50 Years Pkg, DIB, MT82
I was happy to buy a car already with some suspension mods done, but after research I'm thinking I may want to make some changes and add some things (mod bug, here we go again)

Application: Driven often but not daily driver, love pushing it on the back roads, I would like to go on some road trips with the car. Drag strip or track will probably not happen anytime soon and rare if it does, I could see getting into autocross or something along those lines someday. I want very good handling while maintaining a good ride, I don't mind a stiff ride, just nothing crazy.

FP Track Front and Rear Sway Bars
PP Struts and Shocks (I hope i'm right, black Ford dampers with HD on them)
BMR SP080 Springs
BMR CB005
I have camber bolts not installed, will consider camber plates if they will make a good difference

What would you change? What would you add?

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I tried to mention all things necessary
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I upgraded my base GT with PP dampers, BMR SP763 springs, and Steeda shock mounts. It's very comfortable as a daily driver, but if I was doing it again I'd probably go with Steeda min drop springs for a little higher rate, FP Track dampers, and definitely camber plates. .

Gojr47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I use to have that setup except with Steeda proaction fixed dampers and a couple other minor mods. I would get some monotube shocks and struts (FP Track or Bilstein). The ride quality and handling will improve.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
ford performance track shocks and struts m-18000-f is the part number.

Bmr sp083 handling/lowering springs.

steeda or J&M rear shock mounts

gt350r or ford performance track pack sway bars.

wider wheels + stickier tires.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have a feeling that the SP089 / SP088 spring combination might suit your anticipated use a little better. Rough numbers put the theoretical undamped flat ride speed around 65 mph. Performance-oriented damping would drop that speed slightly, but we're still looking at good flat ride characteristics at highway-ish speeds.

Norm

Sponsored

OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the responses!

The shocks/spring/sway bar combo is whats stumping me the most. I'm just worried I'm losing a decent amount of handling capabilities with my SP080's but correct me if I'm wrong. I would love to have the awesome handling. I have looked at all Steeda and BMR springs and hearing alot about dual rate Steeda or SP083's.

Any input if adjustable shocks would be good for me? I've heard great things about the FP Track and had Bilsteins on my Foxbody and loved them.

Any input on the following for my goals? Or are these things overkill?
-rear shock mounts
-toe link and rear lower control arm bearings
-Lateral arms/bumpsteer kit

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for all the responses!

The shocks/spring/sway bar combo is whats stumping me the most. I'm just worried I'm losing a decent amount of handling capabilities with my SP080's but correct me if I'm wrong. I would love to have the awesome handling. I have looked at all Steeda and BMR springs and hearing alot about dual rate Steeda or SP083's.

Any input if adjustable shocks would be good for me? I've heard great things about the FP Track and had Bilsteins on my Foxbody and loved them.

Any input on the following for my goals? Or are these things overkill?
-rear shock mounts
-toe link and rear lower control arm bearings
-Lateral arms/bumpsteer kit
None of what you mentioned is overkill if you’re looking to enhance the composure of the suspension, enhance the handling characteristics and improve the ride.
The BMR SP83 combined with the Bilstein B6/HD damper kit will very likely provide you the exact kind of handling you want for spirited back road driving and daily street comfort. From what I understand, it’ll be a nice firm balance without harshness.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the PP shocks/struts are the weak link in that parts list. Ford track monotube shocks maybe.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
if you can't spring for the adjustable (frpp track or steeda pro-action) units, then Bilstein should be your next choice. All other non-adjustable are not worthy IMO. I personally wouldn't toss the current springs.
hearing alot about dual rate Steeda
do NOT get these unless you *really* want a track car for the street. The SP083 are a much more appropriate choice by comparison.

OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Quick question to add.. - would the dampers mentioned be great for SP083s and my current SP080s (or maybe steeda linear/progressive)? Or do I need to consider others for my currrent springs if I keep, I know the spring rates are different

None of what you mentioned is overkill if you’re looking to enhance the composure of the suspension, enhance the handling characteristics and improve the ride.
The BMR SP83 combined with the Bilstein B6/HD damper kit will very likely provide you the exact kind of handling you want for spirited back road driving and daily street comfort. From what I understand, it’ll be a nice firm balance without harshness.
Sounds good, if there is anything to add please let me know, would like to get everything done at once! That is what i'm looking for, just still a little curious about adjustable dampers and how they would benefit me.

if you can't spring for the adjustable (frpp track or steeda pro-action) units, then Bilstein should be your next choice. All other non-adjustable are not worthy IMO. I personally wouldn't toss the current springs.

do NOT get these unless you *really* want a track car for the street. The SP083 are a much more appropriate choice by comparison.
Would adjustable really benefit me quite a bit for road trips, etc.? Money isn't a huge issue. Not considering any more non-adjustable at all besides those, definately! Why wouldn't you switch the springs? Thanks for the info on the Dual Rate. Steeda recommended Progressive or Ultralite Springs.

Yeah the PP shocks/struts are the weak link in that parts list. Ford track monotube shocks maybe.
Thanks for feedback. I'm thinking they will have to go for sure. I've heard great things on those Track shocks especially with SP083s, its between those and Bilsteins if I go fixed but Bilsteins are hard to get ahold of i've heard.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Would adjustable really benefit me quite a bit for road trips, etc.?
say you like a tighter car for joy riding and chasing apexes. But if you're just droning across interstates it's a bit too tight. 1/4 turn (or less) and you're running a more 'GT' config. Fixed, you're screwed and stuck with whatever the factory chose to give you which seems to be biased a lot more toward 'miss' than 'hit'.
but Bilsteins are hard to get ahold of i've heard.
Unless it's a recent Wuhan-19 side-effect, they are plenty available.

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Quick question to add.. - would the dampers mentioned be great for SP083s and my current SP080s (or maybe steeda linear/progressive)? Or do I need to consider others for my currrent springs if I keep, I know the spring rates are different

Sounds good, if there is anything to add please let me know, would like to get everything done at once! That is what i'm looking for, just still a little curious about adjustable dampers and how they would benefit me.

Would adjustable really benefit me quite a bit for road trips, etc.? Money isn't a huge issue. Not considering any more non-adjustable at all besides those, definately! Why wouldn't you switch the springs? Thanks for the info on the Dual Rate. Steeda recommended Progressive or Ultralite Springs.

Thanks for feedback. I'm thinking they will have to go for sure. I've heard great things on those Track shocks especially with SP083s, its between those and Bilsteins if I go fixed but Bilsteins are hard to get ahold of i've heard.
The SP080s are BMR’s version of the performance pack springs offering a slightly (6%) greater spring rates of 170f/740r and the benefits of a drop; they offer more for looks than handling boost. The SP083 setup has rates of 250f/980r so they’ll be more sharp in the handling department for the back rounds, but not too firm to compromise daily drive-ability.

Look up the BMR “bread and butter” package that Lethal Performance offers. There’s a post on this subforum about it with a full explanation of how each part benefits and a video from Kelly of BMR discussing the package. Some of the supporting upgrades you mentioned (the overkill but not ones) are reviewed.

OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
say you like a tighter car for joy riding and chasing apexes. But if you're just droning across interstates it's a bit too tight. 1/4 turn (or less) and you're running a more 'GT' config. Fixed, you're screwed and stuck with whatever the factory chose to give you which seems to be biased a lot more toward 'miss' than 'hit'.

Unless it's a recent Wuhan-19 side-effect, they are plenty available.
Wow, now this is going to be a tough decision between the FP, Bilstein and adjustables!

Sorry, I was researching posts from 2-3 years ago lol

See above, I researched way too old of posts lol. Thanks for the links!

The SP080s are BMR’s version of the performance pack springs offering a slightly (6%) greater spring rates of 170f/740r and the benefits of a drop; they offer more for looks than handling boost. The SP083 setup has rates of 250f/980r so they’ll be more sharp in the handling department for the back rounds, but not too firm to compromise daily drive-ability.

Look up the BMR “bread and butter” package that Lethal Performance offers. There’s a post on this subforum about it with a full explanation of how each part benefits and a video from Kelly of BMR discussing the package. Some of the supporting upgrades you mentioned (the overkill but not ones) are reviewed.
Great explanation thank you, it will be hard to not to go for better handling springs. I've always got the best on previous cars.

I have skimmed the bread and butter and will look thoroughly later. It's interesting how many parts in the rear could use addressing and I'm looking forward to transforming it!

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Wow, now this is going to be a tough decision between the FP, Bilstein and adjustables!

Sorry, I was researching posts from 2-3 years ago lol

See above, I researched way too old of posts lol. Thanks for the links!

Great explanation thank you, it will be hard to not to go for better handling springs. I've always got the best on previous cars.

I have skimmed the bread and butter and will look thoroughly later. It's interesting how many parts in the rear could use addressing and I'm looking forward to transforming it!
Its a dangerous rabbit hole for your bank account haha - I know you mentioned money is no issue though. Nonetheless, consider which pieces will provide the most notable improvement to your driving habits and add a few. See how it feels and if something is lacking, consider a few more. It’s nice to feel incremental improvements despite the desire to get it all done at once.

Given how well damped many owners claim the FRPP package and the Bilsteins are, it’s unlikely you’ll need the adjustability unless you felt the need to firm up the dampers for the rare HPDE day you may participate in.

I’m not sure about the Steeda PA Adjustables but the Bilsteins and FRPP rear shocks are monotube, which some will argue is better for this car than twin tube options.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you go fixed, I'd recommend the Bilsteins or Ford Performance track shocks, as they're both monotube designs and should give the best ride while being sportier than stock.

Me personally, I'll always default to adjustable shocks. I really like turning up the stiffness for longer high speed road trips (stiffer for better control and lane change at 70-90mph) or when we're going out on an aggressive back country drive. Tooting around town I like the shocks much softer to absorb the low speed bumps.

The fixed monotube shocks should have less problems with low speed bumps tho than the adjustables I currently use.
Sponsored