BREAKING: EU MY2021 starts Jan 2021, dropping Ecoboost engine

phantom214

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Yeah, these articles are absolute bs and not understanding anything how car homologation works in europe. Just a few nodes:
  • The supra is not banned, they just have to match the car to the emission laws. Seems like Toyota is not capable to do that for the GR without losing a lot of power. This has nothing to with Europe banning the GR or demanding a reduce of power. It's just Toyota not interested in making the full power possible. The Mustang GT is offered in Europa, fulfilling all regulations and not losing any noticable power.
  • Chevy was never banned from Europe. From September 2018 all new registered cars had to fulfil the new WLTP emission tests in europe. Chevy decides it is not worth it for their european models, since they had to add a gasoline particle filter, pay for completely new homolgations, etc - This also has nothing to do with engines sizes, even some small cars like Polo got models stopped for a while until the carmaker tested them for WLTP. So Chevy did not move to the Camaro refresh in Europe but got a exemption to sell prebuild MY2018 Camaro until September 2019 and started selling the refresh this year again. And C7 was stopped since C8 was already on the way, the C8 is already announced for Europe.
  • Chevrolet switched strategy for their new cars, so you don't get EU homologated models (with bigger mirrors, etc), but final cars imported from usa (or maybe kanada for kph gauges)
  • There are no bans of cars in Europe at all. Even though EU Homolgation is pretty strict, you can always import any car you want. Imported cars don't have as strict regulations as EU homolgations. So while Chevy did not sell the EU Camaro and C7, you always could just buy an imported 2019 Camaro or C7. You can always import the 380hp US Supra. You can also always buy a Shelby GT500, ZL1 1LE, etc even if they wouldn't stand a chance in a real EU homolgations. You may have to adress some things to fulfill sound and emissions laws and minor stuff like orange turn signals, but the import dealers know what to do to get the cars on the street.
You will also find bs articles like "ZL1 1LE is not allowed in europe!" - Yeah the frontend would not pass EU homolgations. But the regular ZL1 is not offered in Europe from Chevy at all, so your only chance is go to an import dealer, who easily sell you a ZL1 1LE too.
Thank You so much for the detailed information!
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Surpised Ecoboost in not popular in Europe. Would seem their kind of engine.
Since I’ve been more interested in mustangs (since about 2016), I think I’ve only seen 1 EB on the road and the rest GT’s.

I don’t think I’ve even seen an EB in the dealer my car is coming from - either in the showroom or a customers car awaiting service etc.

Granted there’s not a huge amount of mustangs in my area, but anyone inclined to buy a mustang always seems to go for the full fat version :like:

If it’s not the V8 that attracts a UK buyer towards a mustang, they will more than likely end up on a BMW or similar.

All my opinion based on my limited outlook :like:

WD :like:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Surpised Ecoboost in not popular in Europe. Would seem their kind of engine.
It is. But not on this car. This car is a powerful symbol for us. It's the American dream, the forbidden fruit, the epitome of freedom, of raw, unadulterated power. It's something we've been denied for fifty years. It's a middle finger shown to all the eco-lunatics who poison our lives. It's a powerful social statement - fuck the Eurocrats, fuck that deranged Swedish girl, I'm burning fuel and feeling good about it, and fuck anybody who has a problem with that.
So now that we can finally have it, we want it all. We want it to be as American as it gets. We don't want it to sound like a Focus. We want that grumpy engine that nobody else has around here.
That being said, I am indeed surprised to find that GTs sell better than EBs here. I mean, while I do understand why everybody wants a GT, I didn't expect the bulk of the Mustang enthusiasts to actually be able to afford it. Oh well, live and learn. :)

The Ecoboost family in general is indeed popular. The Ecoboosts that power Fiestas, Focuses, Mondeos, Kugas, are fantastic pieces of engineering and are very appreciated.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Since I’ve been more interested in mustangs (since about 2016), I think I’ve only seen 1 EB on the road and the rest GT’s.

I don’t think I’ve even seen an EB in the dealer my car is coming from - either in the showroom or a customers car awaiting service etc.

Granted there’s not a huge amount of mustangs in my area, but anyone inclined to buy a mustang always seems to go for the full fat version :like:

If it’s not the V8 that attracts a UK buyer towards a mustang, they will more than likely end up on a BMW or similar.

All my opinion based on my limited outlook :like:

Id say it's the opposite here in the US.. At least in my area in Michigan. I see almost all new Mustangs with pony's on the back.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Id say it's the opposite here in the US.. At least in my area in Michigan. I see almost all new Mustangs with pony's on the back.
That’s also what I’ve seen on my trips to Florida - I just blamed it on the tourist / hire car market :like:

Sponsored

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
This is the reason why Ford Europe decided to keep the GT and kill off the EB. Overall the GT sells WAY better, except in some smaller countries with ridiculous emission taxes like Netherlands, Belgium, Danmark and Norway. Also when you offer a small volume car like this as a halo model you want to offer the undisputed real deal, not the semi real deal. Even though the EB handles better than the GT the V8 just can't be beat in the eye of the general public and Ford knows this. If Ford was forced to kill off one of the two in the US they would do the exact same thing without any hesitation.
I agree almost with ever single word you have wrote here.
All but this part of sentence: "...except in some smaller countries...like Netherlands, Belgium, Danmark and Norway."
Norway? 385,203 km²? Small?
OK, maybe you mean small by population... :blush:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t expect Ford to roll out another model over there for the simple fact they are trying to avoid bankruptcy at this point. The fat is being cut.
I actually hope we get the Mach 1 though.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd hope Ford continues to sell the Mustang in Europe and the rest of the world. Those sales make up around 1/3 of total production. Without them, it would make the business case for continuing with the Mustang, as we know and love it, that much harder to justify.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
It is. But not on this car. This car is a powerful symbol for us. It's the American dream, the forbidden fruit, the epitome of freedom, of raw, unadulterated power. It's something we've been denied for fifty years. It's a middle finger shown to all the eco-lunatics who poison our lives. It's a powerful social statement - fuck the Eurocrats, fuck that deranged Swedish girl, I'm burning fuel and feeling good about it, and fuck anybody who has a problem with that.
So now that we can finally have it, we want it all. We want it to be as American as it gets. We don't want it to sound like a Focus. We want that grumpy engine that nobody else has around here.
I don't feel particularly good about burning fuel (other things being more or less equal, I'd prefer the car to use less fuel and pollute less, as I'm sure everyone else), but except for that: yeah, well said.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Agreed, maybe that wasn't the right way to express it. I don't necessarily feel good about burning fuel per se - of course I would be very happy to get 40 MPG out of the GT if that were possible. :D
But I do feel good about driving a real, proper car and about infuriating the tree-hugging crowd. Actually, I don't yet. I will, in September, hopefully. :D

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
But I do feel good about driving a real, proper car and about infuriating the tree-hugging crowd.
Hate to break it to you but actual tree-huggers would LOVE internal combustion engines. With catalysts they produce virtually nothing but water and CO2. Trees need both and want as much of the second as they can get. Driving an EV is like choke-holding trees.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I actually feel good about my fuel mileage on the Bullitt, simply because the 3.5EB F-150 Platinum I traded for it, was much worse, especially on the highway :D. And surprisingly, in the city I'm getting 20.xx, which I wasn't expecting, so not bad at all. The only thing bad about the Mustang is the ridiculously small fuel tank; you have to gas up almost like a freaking motorcycle. Ha ha.

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 PP1 301A A10
That being said, I am indeed surprised to find that GTs sell better than EBs here. I mean, while I do understand why everybody wants a GT, I didn't expect the bulk of the Mustang enthusiasts to actually be able to afford it. Oh well, live and learn. :)

The Ecoboost family in general is indeed popular. The Ecoboosts that power Fiestas, Focuses, Mondeos, Kugas, are fantastic pieces of engineering and are very appreciated.
I wish that more people could see this in this country. I wish they could see what they take for granted and stop trying to give away these amazing freedoms we enjoy. Thanks for your post. :clap:

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
@Twin Turbo:
2020MY Mustang "Balance Out" date is 12/23/2020.
2021MY Mustang Job #1 Date is 01/04/2021

So for the first time US and Export models start production at the same time.
Sponsored