Sponsored

cold air intake is it worth it?

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I have the Steeda Pro Flow on my 2019 Mustang GT Convertible (fabricated to fit) - before & after is night & day difference (with tune). The car chirps through every gear when you punch it.

Very happy with the results & not just because I work for Steeda.

TJ
You mean the closed proflow right? What are your IAT's like in stop and go traffic? Did you have another CAI on there before hand to see the dyno difference?
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
This has alot of evidence already documented in this forum. Mostly from people trying to use flex tunes, the MAF placement doesnt allow the tune to learn properly. I personally tried the steeda box and could not get the clips to close, and the box had manufacturing defects with poorly applied sealant. I now run the factory box with a drop in.
Correct the closed cai from steeda is fine on straight gas or e but not so much for flex tune due to maf turbulence and idle variation.

I'd definitely recommend 18+ OEM intake with a drop in for the 15-17 crowd if NA. Get the higher flow with reasonable iat's and stock like maf curve if you wanna run flex. Stock cai on my 18 with flex tune put down 516/454 on latest pull with mods in sig.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
My experience has been great so far with the JLT and the video I did Proves that is better than OEM 18 airbox ( i have a 2018)
I can see a concern for the "CROSSLIGHT RACERS" where the IAT can grow fast .( but temp also drops fast once running)
so I'm doing this :). WORK IN PROGRESS>
I hope to do some testing soon

20200328_174445.jpg
20200328_175927.jpg
IMG-20200328-WA0099.jpeg

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You are not driving 150mph I real world conditions so you won’t get much air around town or anywhere under 40ish mph. Did you change the tune to match the JLT because that’s would be a completely biased test

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
You are not driving 150mph I real world conditions so you won’t get much air around town or anywhere under 40ish mph. Did you change the tune to match the JLT because that’s would be a completely biased test
The test I did was
Tune 96 octane +oem airbox
Tune96 octane + JLT intake ( and of course calibration otherwose you will damage the car)
Tune 96 oct +JLT intake and hood down

Jlt showed 22whp more than just the tune
And with the hood down 10-11.
That is why I'm creating a cover and test IAT and if I can MAF

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Swapping to the AFE dry filter drop in, 2018 stock box, and Airaid 2018+ intake pipe this week. Going to see how it fares against my CP-E.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I can say, both the 2018 stock setup and the CP-E setup are pretty close with these hot summer temps. I swapped back to my CP-E setup because it's powder coated, looks great, and has a very smooth delivery like stock since they provide the MAF curve to give to your tuner. Also, the tube being a bit bigger and the velocity stack with the cone filter, it likely has a small gain up top, but nothing you won't feel.

For anyone else that's on the fence with an intake, go the 2018 stock route. Once your fuel trims are good, it drives perfectly. Real smooth, great IAT's, and all the benefits of a bigger intake tube in stock form. Flex fuel learning is great as well.
Sponsored