Interesting ads on tv today

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
We were watching the NASCAR race today, and saw ads for the Alfa Romeo crossover, the Porsche crossover and the Jaguar crossover. Back to back to back. I was waiting for the Mach E. Thought it was interesting to see three performance crossover ads in a row.

Sign of the times I guess.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
We were watching the NASCAR race today, and saw ads for the Alfa Romeo crossover, the Porsche crossover and the Jaguar crossover. Back to back to back. I was waiting for the Mach E. Thought it was interesting to see three performance crossover ads in a row.

Sign of the times I guess.
Which one did you like the best?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Interesting that they think the people who watch NASCAR would be able to afford a Porsche, Alfa or Jaguar. I always assumed that was a lower dollar audience.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Well, none of them really. I'm not a huge fan of the crossover / suv thing. I see their usefulness, and the wife has a Jeep Cherokee, but overall, I just don't care for them. Looks wise, probably the Jag. And I've ridden in the Jag. But I just can't justify the price difference between those and a similarly equipped Jeep. A gal in our office has the Jag. It's nice, but not significantly nicer / fancier / more luxurious than Cherokee. There's just no way i can justify the extra 25K she paid (well, daddy paid) for it over what my wife drives. I could've put that 25K down on a 392 Shaker T/A they had there!

I'm sure they're all very nice, I just have a hard time justifying the extra cost.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Interesting that they think the people who watch NASCAR would be able to afford a Porsche, Alfa or Jaguar. I always assumed that was a lower dollar audience.
I was a big Nascar fan back in the day. Actually all motorsports for that matter. It was a lower dollar audience back in the 60's and 70's but when it exploded in the 90's the dollar brackets went up significantly. I think you might be surprised at the number of high priced foreign horsepower you would find at a Nascar race. Maybe not up to F1 levels but lots of high end stuff in the parking lots. Beside advertisers are looking for any motorsports they can get now.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Well, none of them really. I'm not a huge fan of the crossover / suv thing. I see their usefulness, and the wife has a Jeep Cherokee, but overall, I just don't care for them. Looks wise, probably the Jag. And I've ridden in the Jag. But I just can't justify the price difference between those and a similarly equipped Jeep. A gal in our office has the Jag. It's nice, but not significantly nicer / fancier / more luxurious than Cherokee. There's just no way i can justify the extra 25K she paid (well, daddy paid) for it over what my wife drives. I could've put that 25K down on a 392 Shaker T/A they had there!

I'm sure they're all very nice, I just have a hard time justifying the extra cost.
Totally understand. They are all nice but honestly being seen in one of these is as important, or more important to many owners then driving them. Of course a Porsche Macan Turbo is nothing to sneeze at.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was a big Nascar fan back in the day. Actually all motorsports for that matter. It was a lower dollar audience back in the 60's and 70's but when it exploded in the 90's the dollar brackets went up significantly. I think you might be surprised at the number of high priced foreign horsepower you would find at a Nascar race. Maybe not up to F1 levels but lots of high end stuff in the parking lots. Beside advertisers are looking for any motorsports they can get now.
The people AT the races have money I agree. But those aren't the ones seeing the TV ads. Anyway, I would probably pick the Macan over the Jag or Alfa if I had to choose. But if I were buying a Porsche I'd really rather have a 911 (I don't fit in the Cayman).

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
To a point, yeah. But you'd be suprised at the some
Agreed. There are quite a few high end cars at the Kansas Speedway every year, although it's been a few years since I've been to the track. I quit renewing my season tickets about ten years ago. Switched up to Sporting KC (MLS team). But... I've been out a few times since and there are always some very nice cars there. I've seen a couple of Maclearn (sp), lots of Porsche, several Ferarri, etc.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Actually I gave up being a NASCAR fan because the money people screwed it up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I kind of like the Chase. At least I know the season winner isn't determined with 5 races to go.

Plus, the current system is hugely beneficial to our office pool! We have a weekly pick 'em pool. You pick a winner a backup driver (the backup is in case two people pick the same driver to win). The pool is $5 a week. If no one picks the winner, the pot rolls over to the next week. During the "regular season" you can only pick the same driver twice (does not apply to the backup). I'm a Keslowski fan (Ford and Miller Lite). So I always pick him as my backup. Each week, you get the points of whomever you picked to win the race. At the end of the regular season, the points leader in our pool wins a $20 payout from everyone else. The the points and pick reset. That way, someone who is way behind points, get to be relevant again. You do get bonus points for each win. Then another $20 payout at the end. Makes a lot smack talk in the office and on the group chat.

I'd really like to see them either go back to something closer to a "stock" car, or lift most of the restrictions. Let 'em run 220 if they're brave enough! But I'd much rather them back towards stock. Win on Sunday sell on Monday!
Sponsored