Sponsored

Clicking noise when letting go of gas from slight acceleration. Is this normal?

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Sorry for the late reply! Yeah, I've had a lot of experience with the tensioners as of late. My 2019 A10 had the chirping noise at hot idle, 2k rattle, and did not have the lift off rattle, which is the sound in question.
I bought and installed mmr's new timing chain tensioners which prominently introduced the lift off rattle. Comparing the design of these tensioners with those of the factory, I noticed the stock tensioners uses a more aggressive mechanical limiting system while mmr's can be compressed by hand, but use a small inlet in the back with a rubber seal, and revised internals to comply with Ford's tsb for the chirping noise. Their design edge is clearly hydraulic. If you were to try mmr's tensioners, I would suspect your lift off rattle to be louder than it is now.
In conclusion, what I noticed was a louder lift off rattle that subsides when the car warms up, no chirping noise, and a 2k rattle that has substantially subsided. If I had to guess, the 2k rattle comes from more than one source as I can still slightly hear a noise from the engine that is subtle, and sounds nothing timing system related.
I wish I could say if the lift off rattle introduces longevity issues. I personally compensate for it with smooth throttle use until the car is up to temp.
Thanks for the info!

I wonder if there was a tensioner design change from gen 2 coyotes to gen 3, and what would have led ford to make such a change? My gen 2 mustang doesn't experience this, but my gen 3 f150 does...
Sponsored

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Thanks for the info!

I wonder if there was a tensioner design change from gen 2 coyotes to gen 3, and what would have led ford to make such a change? My gen 2 mustang doesn't experience this, but my gen 3 f150 does...
That's a really good point. Here is a picture of the part number on my pre-TSB gen 3 coyote tensioner. Maybe someone knows the part #(s) of the gen 2 tensioners?
20200405_164004.jpg

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
One other thing to consider that is a known is Ford did redesign the exhaust phaser and/or cam on the gen 3 coyote engine. This may be a variable.

Bullittproof16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Guard Green
Sounds like ye old BBQ tick. Very common in our motors. Mine does it too and I started hearing it at 8k miles. I now have 11k... I don’t notice any change in performance or oil consumption. I’m going to monitor it to see if it worsens, but sometimes I don’t even notice it. I have the ford extended warranty, so I know I have some time for stuff to happen. I’ll probably have them look at it when I get the oil changed next.

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
This is absolutely not the BBQ tick. The tick is a consistent and rhythmic noise that can also be heard at idle. The OP is describing the lift off rattle, which can only be heard after quickly releasing the accelerator pedal, and usually only while oil temperatures are low.

Sponsored

Bullittproof16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Guard Green
This is absolutely not the BBQ tick. The tick is a consistent and rhythmic noise that can also be heard at idle. The OP is describing the lift off rattle, which can only be heard after quickly releasing the accelerator pedal, and usually only while oil temperatures are low.
I guess this is why I’m not a car epidemiologist :crazy:

fahadco80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fahad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 Premium 401A Package with B&O Sound System
Hi Guys,

I am having the same exact issue, noise when letting off the gas, the noise is there no matter engine is cold or warm, and it stays at all RPM, but we can't hear it above 2K because of the engine sound (the normal sound LOL) and the road sound as well...

I took my car to the dealer many time regarding this issue, every time they told me its normal (as usual) the fourth time I insisted to do TSB 19-2140 and they proved, I just took my car 2 weeks ago and nothing changed at all, I think its something not related to the tensioner at all. I am sure there are many experts here and I hope someone help, what about the big power guys! how are they managing to add twin turbos and superchargers? what about people who built their engines, did they found a fix? are they still having this noise? even the 5.0 F150 18-19 having the same exact noise.

I tried 5w30, I tried 5w50, nothing changed the sound of this noise.

Is it a VCT solenoid? is it the butterfly inside the IMRC that is rattling? is it oil pump?

I am sure it has been found by someone..

Any help would be really appreciated

Please check the before and after TSB videos and the TSB.pdf as well

Enjoy the noise LOL

Attachments

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's your 10-sp transmission, man. Exact same thing happens to many F-150s; that's where I heard many with exactly that noise. You should be able to clearly hear it coming from under the car, where the tranny is. And not from the engine compartment. The cam phasers make a very similar noise on deceleration, but only when engine is cold (and not sure if that happens to Mustangs too). The transmission noise happens while engine rpm are going up, or leveling off; not going down. Exactly the same issue as F-150s. You can read more there, if you want (F150forum.com). Not sure of the fix (if any), so go there, and find out. Good luck, and hope this helps.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
That's your 10-sp transmission, man.
I can promise you it's not just 10speeds because my manual '19 and '20 both did/do it too.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You didn't say if the recorded noise was auto or manual; I could bet my house it was an auto :D.

Surprised you said that 2019 and 2020 manuals (did you actually own or owned 2 straight years?) did that noise too. But again, you failed to post DETAILS. That ratcheting noise can only be 2 things: tranny, or cam phasers. Tranny does it all the time, but mostly when hot. The cam phasers only when engine is cold. And never read of cam phaser noises on manual cars on ANY forums, and I read thousands of threads doing my research for the Bullitt. But it's possible, I guess, since Ford might be still using intake Borg Warner phasers on Coyotes, like it does on F-150s (EBs have Borg Warners on BOTH intake and exhaust). But post videos, since cam phasers don't make the noise like trannies; they make the ratcheting sound when engine is actually decelerating, and doesn't do it as easy.

Sponsored

fahadco80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fahad
Vehicle(s)
You didn't say if the recorded noise was auto or manual; I could bet my house it was an auto :D.

Surprised you said that 2019 and 2020 manuals (did you actually own or owned 2 straight years?) did that noise too. But again, you failed to post DETAILS. That ratcheting noise can only be 2 things: tranny, or cam phasers. Tranny does it all the time, but mostly when hot. The cam phasers only when engine is cold. And never read of cam phaser noises on manual cars on ANY forums, and I read thousands of threads doing my research for the Bullitt. But it's possible, I guess, since Ford might be still using intake Borg Warner phasers on Coyotes, like it does on F-150s (EBs have Borg Warners on BOTH intake and exhaust). But post videos, since cam phasers don't make the noise like trannies; they make the ratcheting sound when engine is actually decelerating, and doesn't do it as easy.

If you really watched the recordings you would've know if it was manual or AUTO, unless if there is a 10 manual.. LOL

6EBB64A9-DEC8-4811-803D-7A962CA332AF.jpeg
F1033A89-F76F-4978-B7CE-E0F5935762D5.jpeg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you really watched the recordings you would've know if it was manual or AUTO, unless if there is a 10 manual.
Bottom line is I was right. It's the tranny, but if you're not going to listen, why the hell did you post? What do you want to hear? That it's the radio? Good luck man. I'm out of here.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium

Wow so aggressive. It’s the cam phasers. It goes away mostly when the engine warms up. Tons of threads about it if you search these forums. It happens 100% every time I drive.

I can say for a fact you’re incorrect if you think it only applies to the ten speed.

fahadco80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fahad
Vehicle(s)
Wow so aggressive. It’s the cam phasers. It goes away mostly when the engine warms up. Tons of threads about it if you search these forums. It happens 100% every time I drive.

I can say for a fact you’re incorrect if you think it only applies to the ten speed.

But mine is driving me crazy.

You are right most of the guys here saying it goes when engine warms up, but mine does not, stays that way even if I drive for long time.

Is there any aftermarket cam phasers that can get rid of this noise?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Is there any aftermarket cam phasers that can get rid of this noise?
I have been reading about the new Ford performance tune that just recently release for our 18-20s and I read someone claim that the tune made this sound much better/almost disappear.

There was some speculation in response about Ford being able to tune this issue away but choosing not to - the thread is the giant 40+ page one in the engine mods section if you want to search it out for yourself. I read it weeks ago and have no idea where that would be.
Sponsored