Sponsored

Sway bar rubbing against end link

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
All - have an issue and need some ideas how to solve it - as you can see on the pic, end link (Steeda) is installed on the inside of the sway bar - for the reason of not fitting on the outside (not enough clearance vs. strut) - BMR endlink wouldn't fit eiher, stock one - maybe, but mine are bent......

Clearly during suspension movement link is in contact with the bar (see the mark on the endlink) - which for few reasons isn't great.

Should I try to shim one of the mounting points ? Any other ideas ?
IMG_20200606_103414.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
That's where I thought about adding it. I would experiment some more but have local autocross tomorrow morning (had T&T today) and have to leave for Grissom 4 days later...

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thanks for the link but mounting on the inside is exactly what I did and why it is rubbing. Bar is from Ford Performance Magneride Handling Pack and clearly has slightly different geometry that Steeda's, it's also thicker - it's close to Steeda's big bar which 38mm diameter - not sure if that one would have better geometry to avoid rubbing but I have no energy and time at this point to replace front bar anytime soon...

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Reactions: kz

Sponsored

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Had the ford sway bar and had to change do to no collars. Changed to steeda sway bar and the same endlinks you have. Had a problem with them hitting and breaking and bought a new set and added a inside nut as a spacer that worked perfectly.

Here is my posting that shows pics near the end of it.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...d-the-ugly-and-finished-with-all-good.137799/
Thanks a lot - that actually looks like a good solution. So far (last night) I put two washers which I suspect are not enough. What nuts did you use ?

Interestingly my Ford bar has collars - I was pretty sure it did but just walked out to double check.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Yes there were two versions of the ford sway bars; same part number but different last letter and I had the worse of the two. You are better off.
Couldn’t say exactly what nuts I used other than stainless steel. Bought enough in case I had to double up but that wasn’t the case. I conferred with steeda engineers and they gave a green light to the setup.

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yes there were two versions of the ford sway bars; same part number but different last letter and I had the worse of the two. You are better off.
Couldn’t say exactly what nuts I used other than stainless steel. Bought enough in case I had to double up but that wasn’t the case. I conferred with steeda engineers and they gave a green light to the setup.
Did you get them from the HD / Lowes ? Do your remember thread size by any chance ? And again - appreciate the help. I have actually seen your thread at some point few months back but didn't memorize it...

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Local Ace hardware but any place would do. I don’t remember the thread and pitch so I took the end link there to make sure it thread on. You could also just take the Steeda nut and match the same at whatever store you go to.

Reactions: kz
OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
For the sake of completness - Steeda's links thread size is M12 - 1.75 and at least Home Depot doesn't have a great choice of metric fasteners...
Sponsored