Spectre71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Not Mustang, but Sync 3 related. My wife has a 2018 edge titanium AWD with sync 3, no nav.. She cant update sync via usb, get carplay to launch or clear any old user/ phone data even after a master reset, throws INSTL-ERR12 when trying to update. Called the dealer and they advised they either need to do a full software reset using their ford scan tools, or possible a bad APIM unit that will have to be replaced. Taking it in next week for them to do the initial diag, I'll update after the visit. FWIW the usb update that ford gave me was the exact same update that they gave me for my 2018 Eco premium with Sync 3, and it worked fine.
Update: The above issue was solved with an APIM replacement. Took a few days with all the madness, but after replacing the unit, the systems are 100% and all feature functionality is now working.
Sponsored

alpha_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.forgitec.com
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT | 2019 BMW X5 | 2022 BMW M4
My 2020 mustang is giving me the same issues. 50% of the time, it won't read my phone nor will it give the option for carplay. The only strange hack I've figured out is that I have to connect my phone with the USB cable BEFORE turning on accessory power or the ignition.

Spectre71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 mustang is giving me the same issues. 50% of the time, it won't read my phone nor will it give the option for carplay. The only strange hack I've figured out is that I have to connect my phone with the USB cable BEFORE turning on accessory power or the ignition.

Imo, I would if possible video the behavior for the dealer, take it back and have it replaced under warranty. It was literally a 2 -3 hour job to replace the apim, and entirely covered. they will want to throw it in the computer and do the diags, but if you reproduce it even occasionally, thats grounds for asking for a replacement I would think. especially if you have ny sort of relationship with your local service dept.

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
^ Before I do, I will try it with another phone. Always a chance the problem is there. Also going to clean out my lightning port, lint in there can also cause it to not seat properly.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
I have the exact same problem on a 2020 Ford F350 with Sync 3.4. When carplay will doesn't connect, it happens on both the usb and usb-c port but will charge phone. It won't even see the phone as a data source (like an ipod) over usb. Kinda like the usb port is plugged in provides power but not a data connection to the stereo. When carplay is working, it works from any and all USB ports in the truck. I have tried 3 different iphones that will work at other times.

Sometimes stopping the truck and restarting fixes the issues, other times, it takes the truck being off for 30 minutes.... Time to talk to the dealer about it.

Sponsored

Aldopena

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aldo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
I have also have this issue I made a post called “Apple CarPlay issue” and I didn’t get many replies I assumed not many people had this issue. If someone could help me out I’m really tired of it not connecting randomly.

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Mine is still not working 100%. Tried another phone, same issue. Apply CarPlay works fine on my other cars. Those of us with a problem may need to wait until then next synch update...

alpha_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.forgitec.com
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT | 2019 BMW X5 | 2022 BMW M4
Hey everyone,

I’ve got great news! So after trying quite literally everything to fix this issue, weather it was restarting my phone, my car, my cars battery, resetting sync, resetting my phone.. nothing helped.

Here is the good news part.. I decided to take it to Ford and see if they would even do anytbing. I told the service department that I have already checked on Ford’s website for any sync updates and the system said my car had the latest version so I couldn’t figure out what the issue could possibly be.

Long story short, turns out that Ford actually released a bulletin quite a while ago on these exact issues and for SOME REASON, they made the problem solving update available only to Ford’s tech department, maybe because of the way this one has to be installed.

Either way, they kept the car over night, called me the next day, and said that the tech had installed the bulletin/sync update and the car was fixed.

It’s now been 3 weeks since I’ve picked up the car and it’s been working absolutely amazing ever since. I went from wanting to punch my sync screen every day and not ever being able to use CarPlay to have a perfectly working sync system every single time I get in the car.

Moral of the story is, CALL FORD RIGHT NOW and get your cars updated and make sure to let them know that there is a bulletin out for this update!

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
^Oh boy, great! Do you have any info on the bulletin so I have more to give my advisor?

OP
OP

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I have also have this issue I made a post called “Apple CarPlay issue” and I didn’t get many replies I assumed not many people had this issue. If someone could help me out I’m really tired of it not connecting randomly.
I had to have my APIM replaced. It helped a lot. It still does it, but it’s 95% less frequent.

Sponsored

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

I’ve got great news! So after trying quite literally everything to fix this issue, weather it was restarting my phone, my car, my cars battery, resetting sync, resetting my phone.. nothing helped.

Here is the good news part.. I decided to take it to Ford and see if they would even do anytbing. I told the service department that I have already checked on Ford’s website for any sync updates and the system said my car had the latest version so I couldn’t figure out what the issue could possibly be.

Long story short, turns out that Ford actually released a bulletin quite a while ago on these exact issues and for SOME REASON, they made the problem solving update available only to Ford’s tech department, maybe because of the way this one has to be installed.

Either way, they kept the car over night, called me the next day, and said that the tech had installed the bulletin/sync update and the car was fixed.

It’s now been 3 weeks since I’ve picked up the car and it’s been working absolutely amazing ever since. I went from wanting to punch my sync screen every day and not ever being able to use CarPlay to have a perfectly working sync system every single time I get in the car.

Moral of the story is, CALL FORD RIGHT NOW and get your cars updated and make sure to let them know that there is a bulletin out for this update!

THANK YOU FOR THIS FEEDBACK/CONFIRMATION!!!! It perfectly aligns with what I also learned yesterday.

Early last week, I took my truck (a 2020 with Sync3.4; see my post above) into the dealer about this issue. The tech just did a Master Reset and sent me on my way saying it was fixed. I had explained I had done about 12 master resets and his magical reset would not resolve anything. Sure enough, for the last week the problem has continued at the same frequency. I had told the dealer I would stop by when the problem was actually happening if I was close by. That day was yesterday, I was down the street from the dealer and the Sync would not connect CarPlay, so I stopped over. The previous tech was not available so the Service Manager brought another tech out, who came with his iPhone and apple cable. He experienced the same issue. Immediately told me to schedule time to drop off for him to flash a newer software, that he thought was available, though he was surprised it was not yet available on the Owners website. I have that appointment for Thursday next week. He said if that does not work, he will go through the hoops to get Ford to approve a replacement APIM. Fingers Crossed.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can you post a picture of your about Sync page that shows the firmware build number?

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I have a 2020 401a and it does exactly the same thing. Its almost like a treat when carplay works. It will work maybe 20% of the time. Tried at least a half dozen other cables that work in other vehicles and the behavior is the same. You plug it in and it shows charging on the phone but the head unit does not recognize the phone. About 2 minutes later the head unit will see that something is plugged into USB but till never start carplay. Let me know what you find out.

Matt

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I carry 2 phones, one for work and my personal phone. My personal phone is a note 10 and my work phone is an iphone. I was having issues with the android auto where it would connect but the screen stayed black. After some trouble shooting I notice that it was Waze causing the hang so I uninstalled it. Problem solved. I never installed Waze on the iphone so I never had any issues with it. I guess yall can try uninstalling waze.

OP
OP

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Hey everyone,

Hi. I’m glad you got it worked out. Could you post the bulletin # or a snapshot of the paperwork so we could reference this to our service techs?

thank you
Sponsored