Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
^ I do not like this...... ^
It’s so fishy. On Monday and this morning they were all about it being done today and suddenly, it’s as if they never even started. I’m starting to get worried they F’ed something up and they need to fix it.
Sponsored

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I just got my car after 3.5 weeks at the dealership. I got a new transmission.The transmission fluid was 1 quart low. They tried adding fluid and resetting the transmission software, but it didn’t help, so they replaced the whole thing.

I will admit in my short ride home there was no more clunk in the downshifts and going from park to reverse had no bucking at all. I’ll keep everyone posted if gremlins appear.

20425C26-1489-402F-8D91-20DB2511F8D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
About a week with the 10R80 replacement transmission and things are quite good. I’d say the only thing that remains, is slight bucking when going from park to reverse when the car is cold in the morning. Even the bucking is much improved.

the clunkiness in downshifts especially from 4-3 or 3-1 that used to be a clunk/thump hasn’t shown itself on this new transmission at all. It also doesn’t lag as much when the gas pedal is depressed.

The one new thing, which may have existed in the old transmission is there is a mild whining sound that you can exacerbate even in park if you rev the engine. It isn’t too bad, but noticible.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
About a week with the 10R80 replacement transmission and things are quite good. I’d say the only thing that remains, is slight bucking when going from park to reverse when the car is cold in the morning. Even the bucking is much improved.

the clunkiness in downshifts especially from 4-3 or 3-1 that used to be a clunk/thump hasn’t shown itself on this new transmission at all. It also doesn’t lag as much when the gas pedal is depressed.

The one new thing, which may have existed in the old transmission is there is a mild whining sound that you can exacerbate even in park if you rev the engine. It isn’t too bad, but noticible.
The whining is normal. Straight cut gears for the pump I believe.

Good to hear they fixed you up.

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
Two weeks ago I got my EB18 back from dealership. As a reminder, this was my third visit to the dealership, it started with the strong jumpy engagement when going from P to D, or R to D (they found low trans fluid on my first visit), then a crazy erratic shifting at highway speeds happened once, finally I felt harsh shifting at certain gears, especially in S mode. After long discussion trying to convince dealership that my transmission is not safe to drive (although they claimed everything is normal), they called me saying they will replace the valve body (after speaking to the Ford hotline).

I don't do too much driving nowadays because of shelter-in-place, but even with occasional drives I can tell that the harsh engagement from P to D, R to D is completely gone. This weekend I took a road trip, around 200 miles. Shifts are definitely smoother, and I had no issues at highway speeds, all the shifts were as expected. However, I do feel some harshness when going from a stop 1-3, and 3-5, not much but I feel it, its not buttery smooth. Also coming to a stop, I feel a bit of shakiness on 4-3-1. When I put more throttle the shifts seem more smooth. Sometimes I feel it a bit at gear 9. Now, I might be exaggerating, as this was a VERY stressful problem for me (wife refuses to drive the car until I verify everything is perfect), so I am very focused on shifts when driving, and probably feeling every shift more than a normal driver would. Also, I wonder if the adaptive learning is still learning my habits, due to the clearing of adaptive tables?

I didn't play with S mode much, tried it once, and at heavy throttle it felt really good, however at lower speeds, ie mild driving, I felt a bit of harshness. Now, I guess in S mode the car shouldn't be driven mildly, so I will play with that more for a better update. If anybody has recommendations what to look at here, I would be happy to hear!

I have few more questions for you guys, as you helped me immensely so far:

1) When people say "they don't feel the shifts", "it is buttery smooth", etc, is it really that unnoticeable? Before this problem happened, I wasn't paying attention so I don't have a baseline to compare to. I mean, I can still feel ALL the shifts, all of them, some are VERY smooth, some are a bit less smooth.

2) Looking at my tech report, JL3Z-7A100-B (valve body) appears with (+1) and (-1) quantity, so I am afraid they removed it to inspect it and put back the same one. Can someone confirm that this report says I have a new valve body and not the same one? I am a bit confused with the phrasing and parts listing. If the say "replace main control assy", does it mean I surely got a new one?

IMG_3577.jpeg

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
@filipradenovic, I think
+1 for the control valve means that you got a new one under warranty.
-1 means that your old valve will be returned to be re-manufactured. That is what "core" means - the main casting part will be cleaned and reused to build a re-manufactured unit.

You could go to manual control while in S mode. That is, move the shift lever to S and then use the paddles to make every up/down shift manually. That way you are ready to sense each gear change at your own pace.

It is understandable that you are overly sensitive to what's going on after everything you've been through. After the adaptive learning seems to not be changing anymore, get your wife to drive it and see what she thinks.

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
It says they set your fluid level based on 190 temp. That is actually low right? should be 205-214 or so? Not sure if a few degrees makes that much of a difference, but are you able to check your fluid level? would be curious where it shows on the dip stick

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
@filipradenovic, I think
+1 for the control valve means that you got a new one under warranty.
-1 means that your old valve will be returned to be re-manufactured. That is what "core" means - the main casting part will be cleaned and reused to build a re-manufactured unit.

You could go to manual control while in S mode. That is, move the shift lever to S and then use the paddles to make every up/down shift manually. That way you are ready to sense each gear change at your own pace.

It is understandable that you are overly sensitive to what's going on after everything you've been through. After the adaptive learning seems to not be changing anymore, get your wife to drive it and see what she thinks.
Sitting on the passenger seat, she is saying that the car feels smooth, ie, she cannot feel the same harshness I can as a driver. However, she wants the car to be driven few thousand miles, without issues, before she starts driving.

I am getting mixed signals about how many miles I need to drive for adaptive learning to learn my style. I found answers from 100 miles to as much as 3000 miles. Do you have any input about this?

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
It says they set your fluid level based on 190 temp. That is actually low right? should be 205-214 or so? Not sure if a few degrees makes that much of a difference, but are you able to check your fluid level? would be curious where it shows on the dip stick
Unfortunately, I am not able to check it myself. I am looking at the report from my first visit to the dealership (when they found it was low) and they checked and added the transmission fluid at 185 degrees. So it seems they think it doesnt make a difference :)

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Report. I'm loosing the second trans.
My car has 15k miles.

Although temps are under control
I have huge issues in first gears.
Attached a video
Also
When reverse it seems like it doesn't engage the R (It is like the clutch is on ) so the car moves really slowly.
In D especially when cold..
The first 2 or 3 gears are erratic
And
If I use paddles
The car shut down like if in a manual u release the clutch with brakes on.

Sponsored

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
Another update. After almost 1000 miles of driving it normally, mostly in D mode, I am still not satisfied with shifting. I was hoping adaptive learning will remove these issues. I have slight jerkiness from 1-3 and slightly bigger from 3-5 that doesn’t go away. Downshifting when stopping is a bit harsh as well. Finally, going from R to D there is a delay, less than before but delay. Can anybody tell me what is a normal delay from R to D if any?

Today I drove it in the S mode a bit more, and shifting is very harsh, car moved forward on some shifts, mostly 2-3-4-5. Also while being in gear 5 it downshifted to 3 with crazy rpms completely unexpetedly.

I am very stressed about it, not sure what to do after three unsuccesful visits to the dealership and a valve body replace. But I am going again tomorrow first thing in the morning.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Another update. After almost 1000 miles of driving it normally, mostly in D mode, I am still not satisfied with shifting. I was hoping adaptive learning will remove these issues. I have slight jerkiness from 1-3 and slightly bigger from 3-5 that doesn’t go away. Downshifting when stopping is a bit harsh as well. Finally, going from R to D there is a delay, less than before but delay. Can anybody tell me what is a normal delay from R to D if any?

Today I drove it in the S mode a bit more, and shifting is very harsh, car moved forward on some shifts, mostly 2-3-4-5. Also while being in gear 5 it downshifted to 3 with crazy rpms completely unexpetedly.

I am very stressed about it, not sure what to do after three unsuccesful visits to the dealership and a valve body replace. But I am going again tomorrow first thing in the morning.
I have an 18 GT a10 that I have owned/driven for over 2 years and 10k miles. When you say in D it shifts harsh from 1-3 is that light throttle? Mine progressively gets harsher/firmer the more throttle. I can drive it in auto Sport mode from a stop up through the gears pretty smooth (on shifts) as long as I am using minimal throttle pedal pressure. It will unfortunately give me a rev match downshift that pushes the car forward coming to a stop occasionally in D.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase

When in D and in normal mode, my experience has been that is shifts smoothly through all gears (sometimes skips gears by design) unless heavy on the throttle. There are no harsh downshifts. The transmission behaves like a traditional CVT. You have to get really deep into the throttle for it to start shifting up harder.

However, when switching into Sport mode (either shift or toggle, including Track/Drag) the shifting is a little harsher, particularly harder in Drag. Downshifting rev match is normal in these modes. However, I don't think it should be to rough, as in feeling like you got rear-ended. But it will kick the revs up pretty high at times. That I believe is normal in those modes.

Perception obviously depends on the individual. Modes other than normal are designed with a spirited use of the vehicle. That might be why it surprises or makes some people uncomfortable at times. But that is not to say these things are flawless and cannot be defective or not operating properly.

My wife used to say her Subaru Outback would shift oddly at times (up and down). So I'd take it out and it always worked fine for me. Turns out she was accidentally hitting the paddle shift every now and then. Not saying you are doing this, but some other folks may be. Gawd that drove me crazy until I saw it happen while she was driving one day. :D

Last edited:

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
So for 1-3 it shifts slightly hard with a light throttle and 3-5 as well. It might be a bit more with a heavier throttle. Sometimes in D normal mode it goes 3-4-5 and then it is smoother.

In S it feels like I got rear ended at times, especially at lower gears 2-3-4-5 . I wonder why they didn't measure transmission pressure last time car was there.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

On your service invoice - after the valve body replacement - did the tech do the trans relearn procedure? They have to do that step so the trans is not all jerky. Go to my first post in this thread, scroll down to the pic of my work order and you will see the tech notes for the valve body replacement - is your work order like that? If not, I’d be willing to bet they did not do the trans relearn procedure properly. Did they make note of reflashing the trans to the most current software revision after the valve body replacement?
Sponsored