Vehicle Showcase

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
This has been a problem since 2015....I did the Darko mod and TSB, but still did not have relief...I got the seat to an ok cooling status by also pulling the credit card thick plastic sheet out of the seat back and drilling tons of air holes in it, then I put a metal mesh box in the seat back pocket to open it up for airflow...
BA981207-B2DE-4686-9E78-F6669ABB355E.jpeg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
today cooled seat just were doing nothing.. lots of noise but no cool...
Are our seats cooled? I thought they are just ventilated. Mine are pretty loud, but I don't feel any cold air; hence my question. But at least I feel some ventilation, so they're obviously working. Curious if they should be cooled, or just ventilated. I also have a 2019 GT (Bullitt). Thanks.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Are our seats cooled? I thought they are just ventilated. Mine are pretty loud, but I don't feel any cold air; hence my question. But at least I feel some ventilation, so they're obviously working. Curious if they should be cooled, or just ventilated. I also have a 2019 GT (Bullitt). Thanks.
Not sure if the Bullitt has actively cooled seats or not. Do you have the cooling temperature setting on the center dash area?

If so, then the seats are supposed to cool. They use a themo-electric cooler and a fan to blow cooled air through the seat area and backrest area of the seats.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This has been a problem since 2015....I did the Darko mod and TSB, but still did not have relief...I got the seat to an ok cooling status by also pulling the credit card thick plastic sheet out of the seat back and drilling tons of air holes in it, then I put a metal mesh box in the seat back pocket to open it up for airflow...
BA981207-B2DE-4686-9E78-F6669ABB355E.jpeg
The birds are going to be mad that you stole their suet feeder. :bandit:

Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Not sure if it's changed, but in 2015 they were sold as "cooled".

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
They just circulate cold air in the car. So you need A/C that works. Ha. Then you need it really cold. And then you need the seat to circulate the really cold air until the mechanism creates so much heat, it defeats the purpose. Worst design ever.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Not sure if it's changed, but in 2015 they were sold as "cooled".
Yes, they were cooled back in 2015, but not after that. That's why I was surprised that somebody is saying they're cooled. Most folks don't know the difference, and just called them cooled, when in fact they're ventilated. I'm 95% sure mine (and all other GT premiums) are just ventilated.

In fact, there's one more variation: ventilated seats that suck air. My 2018 F-150 Platinum had them. It's less effective IMO, but you can easily confirm that by putting a piece of paper on your seatback, and in the case of the truck, it stuck to the seatback. I feel the ventilation is more effective on the Bullitt, so maybe they blow air, but not positive. Will do the test next time I remember, and post results :)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they were cooled back in 2015, but not after that. That's why I was surprised that somebody is saying they're cooled. Most folks don't know the difference, and just called them cooled, when in fact they're ventilated. I'm 95% sure mine (and all other GT premiums) are just ventilated.

In fact, there's one more variation: ventilated seats that suck air. My 2018 F-150 Platinum had them. It's less effective IMO, but you can easily confirm that by putting a piece of paper on your seatback, and in the case of the truck, it stuck to the seatback. I feel the ventilation is more effective on the Bullitt, so maybe they blow air, but not positive. Will do the test next time I remember, and post results :)
More S550 model years beside just 2015 had thermo-electric cooled seats. If the car has the actively cooled seats, there will be temperature controls for both seats on the dash below the radio.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

All S550 premium cars have had and still have heated and “cooled” seats.

391B5629-C590-4005-8CE8-6F43E48D2913.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
There you have it. Cooled means cooled. False advertising.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well, they don't have 'temperature controls'; just the 3 blue lights for cooling and 3 red ones for heating... just like all of my previous and current cars, which all have ventilated seats only. Anyway, they don't feel like they're cooling; only ventilating a little, which is what I expected. Ha ha. I'm suspecting they might be like my ex-F150, which they just suck air, rather than blow it. If they do that, it's impossible they're in fact cooled, so I'll find out tomorrow :D. Ford had too many issues with cooled seats, and hardly anybody has them anyway, and Ford is as cheap skate as it gets, so I have good reason to be reluctant to believe that. Ha ha.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, they don't have 'temperature controls'; just the 3 blue lights for cooling and 3 red ones for heating...
Those are the heating and cooling temperature controls. Dig out the Owner's Manual and check it out.

If you read through this whole thread, you'll know everything there is to know how the cooled seats are designed.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
@Elp_jc the heated and cooled seats suck air through an intake "sock" or tube (i havent had my apart yet, just looking at pictures, in preparation to tear mine apart) air travels either over the hot side or cold side of the peltier that is embedded in the back of the seats. then that air is exhausted into the seat and seat back (moreso just the seat). buttons control the fan speed, controlling how much air is passing over the peltier.

look up peltier effect/thermoelectric coolers. they are pretty fascinating how they work. i have used them 10-15 years ago when i was building DIY cooling systems for overclocked computers

short version: 2 ceramic plates sandwich positive and negative charged, alternating blocks of a metal semi-conductor. when you apply a current to the peltier, 1 side gets super boiling hot, while the other side gets super freezing cold. the more heat you can dissipate on the hot side, the cooler the cold side will get.
Sponsored