Sponsored

How badly does Kona blue handle dirt / rock chips?

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
So I am waiting for my GT in Kona to come in and have been thinking if it is worth it to get the paint coated once it arrives. How well does Kona handle rocks and dirt?
Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I just bought one. I'm thinking its going to be like a black car.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Probably some clear film on the front end and a good spray wax. I usually don't go too crazy. It mostly a fair weather summer car.

zrx4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
randy
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Just did turtle wax ceramic on my 2020 eco HPP in Kona. Its amazing. The little blue metalflakes in the paint are beautiful out in the sun.

Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Just did turtle wax ceramic on my 2020 eco HPP in Kona. Its amazing. The little blue metalflakes in the paint are beautiful out in the sun.
I will have to pick some of that up

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
It not quite as bad as a black car, but it's close. The paint struck me as quite soft. I had a 1/3 hood done in Xpel Ultimate and then ceramic coated with OptiCoat Pro+ and it's looking great a year later. Got a comment on how nice it looked from a stranger a few weeks ago.

OP
OP

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
It not quite as bad as a black car, but it's close. The paint struck me as quite soft. I had a 1/3 hood done in Xpel Ultimate and then ceramic coated with OptiCoat Pro+ and it's looking great a year later. Got a comment on how nice it looked from a stranger a few weeks ago.
How much did that run you?

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
My Kona Blue gets Griots Liquid Gloss Poly Wax, it looks great in the sun. Dirt? Yeah, it gets dirty quickly, not much better than black. Chips? A few, in less than 4000 miles.
Who cares, it's the *only* color to get! ;)
mustang_1330076.jpg

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
It is slightly better than black. If you care about it looking dirty and chips then get it cleared bra'd and coated. I wish I did mine. Still might get a correction and coating down next year. Sunny weather car about 5k a year. Sits in the garage mostly after a wash and within 5 days it's already dirty looking from dust. Love the color but wish I got the green or orange honestly.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
So I am waiting for my GT in Kona to come in and have been thinking if it is worth it to get the paint coated once it arrives. How well does Kona handle rocks and dirt?
My 2011 GT was KB - Clear Bra the shit out of it - full front & hood, full quarters, mirrors, rockers, area in front of rear wheels, gas door, A pillars and roof cap. Ford paint in general cannot be relied upon to "handle rocks".

AGM2018

It is slightly better than black. If you care about it looking dirty and chips then get it cleared bra'd and coated. I wish I did mine. Still might get a correction and coating down next year. Sunny weather car about 5k a year. Sits in the garage mostly after a wash and within 5 days it's already dirty looking from dust. Love the color but wish I got the green or orange honestly.
I completely understand your sentiment. I have had three (slow learner!) black mustangs; I will NEVER have another dark color. Silver, white and maybe a light hue of blue...and that's it. I wish I had all the hours and hours....and hours back I spent washing, drying and waxing my three black 'Stangs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The first part is easy. Dark colors get dirtier than light colors. But dark colors when clean look incredible. I loved my Ruby Red EB. When it was clean it sparkled. Your Kona is going to do the same. It is an gorgeous blue. On the other hand my Oxford White GT/CS never looks dirty. I know needs to be washed but I always keep putting it off. But then again it doesn't sparkle.

Now as far as stone chips, it's the luck of the draw. You can go an entire year without one and then boom. You are going to kick yourself for not getting the front end wrapped in PPF. I did the entire front clip, the roof and the "A" pillars. The film has already saved me from at least two or three chips already (and those are just the ones I can see/feel). You should do this regardless of color. Go to a few high end shops and see what they offer.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
How much did that run you?
Around $600ish for the clear bra (full front bumper, 1/3 of the hood, mirrors, and the rear fender swells behind the doors). Around $1000ish for the OptiCoat after the PPP was down. Pricey, but the car lives outside and looks as good as the day I picked it up. The occasional bird dropping nearly always rinses off with a trivial amount of soaking beforehand. Easy to wash using OptiClean (which I used to use anyway). On top of that, the OptiCoat place will do a great exterior maintenance and shine for $99 a pop, far less than my old detailer. Gives it a nice pickup in the spring and fall.

EDIT: Did a bit more thinking about what I paid for the film. In a similar vein, I fear that I'm going to die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Last edited:

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I do not own that colour, I own black.

My suggestion is have XPEL film and ceramic coat installed. I should have had this done, the day after I purchased the car. Albeit, I waited a while...
Sponsored