Sponsored

10R80 recalls??

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Hi everyone, I've just traded in my Focus RS for a Ranger Raptor.

I checked on Etis and it has a recall on the Auto box for "oil pump gears". Has anyone had this done on their Mustangs or is it just the 10R80 in the Ranger that needs it?

If you did have it done and had issues, can you please tell me what to look out for.. Seems crazy, buying a brand new truck and having it worked on before i even take delivery!! Bloody Fords and their recalls.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Hi everyone, I've just traded in my Focus RS for a Ranger Raptor.

I checked on Etis and it has a recall on the Auto box for "oil pump gears". Has anyone had this done on their Mustangs or is it just the 10R80 in the Ranger that needs it?

If you did have it done and had issues, can you please tell me what to look out for.. Seems crazy, buying a brand new truck and having it worked on before i even take delivery!! Bloody Fords and their recalls.
Surely better to have a recall than not ? All car makers have them from time to time.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Today’s system of put things out which you no are faulty but Will fix them later or not at all

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Today’s system of put things out which you no are faulty but Will fix them later or not at all
If you look at reliability stats for cars now compared to 30 years ago you will find that assertion is incorrect.

The good old days were actually rubbish !

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
In my experience, many manufacturing sectors will release a product, when they know fixes & subsequent versions/updates will be needed.
It would seem there's a tendancy to gamble with inconveniencing customers, but not to gamble with their safety.

Regarding automotive, go back to the 60s to see the darker side of car Engineering as it was then, esp the U.S. manufacturers & their calculations regarding whether a fault was addressed.

Of course, today things are different. Design specifications & standards, a lot of which now face stricter oversight from regional authorities, are in place as homologation certification & safety regs, etc.

Also, in an atmosphere of increased inclination to litigate, most OEMs appear to tread a fine line on timing for manufacturing release of products which may require recall or preferably TSBs, but some still get it wrong, such as BMW recently.

IME, U.K. auto OEMs with poorly concieved timing plans, focus on reducing the costs of the Engineering activity (wages) by reducing the time permitted for that task. But often then have to go back & fix stuff later.
We've a saying now.

"There's never enough time to do it right.
But there's enough money to do it twice".

Currently a Midlands based OEM is terrible for this, yet when you compare the wage costs of an Engineering program, to the tooling costs, the former is absolutely miniscule.

So yeah, it seems that OEMs, auto or other, always play it close to the edge for cost & timing purposes, but rarely if ever nowadays, when safety is involved.

Sponsored

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
In my experience, many manufacturing sectors will release a product, when they know fixes & subsequent versions/updates will be needed.
It would seem there's a tendancy to gamble with inconveniencing customers, but not to gamble with their safety.

Regarding automotive, go back to the 60s to see the darker side of car Engineering as it was then, esp the U.S. manufacturers & their calculations regarding whether a fault was addressed.

Of course, today things are different. Design specifications & standards, a lot of which now face stricter oversight from regional authorities, are in place as homologation certification & safety regs, etc.

Also, in an atmosphere of increased inclination to litigate, most OEMs appear to tread a fine line on timing for manufacturing release of products which may require recall or preferably TSBs, but some still get it wrong, such as BMW recently.

IME, U.K. auto OEMs with poorly concieved timing plans, focus on reducing the costs of the Engineering activity (wages) by reducing the time permitted for that task. But often then have to go back & fix stuff later.
We've a saying now.

"There's never enough time to do it right.
But there's enough money to do it twice".

Currently a Midlands based OEM is terrible for this, yet when you compare the wage costs of an Engineering program, to the tooling costs, the former is absolutely miniscule.

So yeah, it seems that OEMs, auto or other, always play it close to the edge for cost & timing purposes, but rarely if ever nowadays, when safety is involved.
That would be the Midlands based OEM that is also bottom of most surveys when it comes to reliability. (JLR), Nissan at Sunderland and Honda at Swindon would be equally JIT in their processes but have much better reliability.

Reliability is designed in followed by assembled in. If you get either wrong it fails.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with all that has been said above, we often say the good ol days but forget what we used to put up with and how we got around. I remember taking a break when driving from Bristol to Weymouth, scraping ice off the inside of the glass as the car leaked so bad it was always full of moisture and my old Hillman Imp that had it's heater pipework freeze solid during a very cold winter.

However, when I look at todays automotive products, I think they are engineered by the finance department rather than the engineers. As a qualified Engineer myself I have witnessed quality being overruled by cost. this never happened in my days at RR aerospace, but I have seen it elsewhere. Certainly, in one of the three companies I've worked for I discovered a production Manager had instructed his setters to reduce cycle times by increasing feeds and speeds and strictly told them "DO NOT tell Engineering". That particular manager no longer works for said company after many thousands of parts were scrapped due to size, surface finish and visual issues with the parts.

Ford Europe seem to have many recalls, both with safety and tech issues. I think pretty much every engine in the range has had a recall of some description. I mean really, the Focus RS debacle was a joke, yes, I have an RS so know all about how it feels to pay nearly ÂŁ40k for a car and then have its engine ripped apart a few months later because the manufacturer screwed up. The Raptor I have just bought has already had four recalls in less than a year. Injectors, EGR cooler pipe bracket fracture, Security software issue and now Oil pump gears.. but I love the truck and I want one, so I'll put up with it, but I will be checking etis weekly for the next manufacturing cock up.

Personally, I am dismayed by some modern manufacturing designs, such as all the plastics used on engines, great when new.. but a few years down the line become brittle or worn out, open deck cylinder blocks, multi part camshafts, sintered pump gears and so on... all cost cutting projects. Some say it's technology, I disagree.

So, back to the subject I first wrote about.. I guess no one has had a 10R80 recall then?

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
You said 'todays' system - which implies it was different previously ?
Yes today’s system, price is more import than quality and if we can save a few millions with poor design or cheap part then it good to go

Sponsored

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
So, back to the subject I first wrote about.. I guess no one has had a 10R80 recall then?
Thought there was a recall on them a while a go, something to do with putting in park

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have now discovered that the recall is an ECU update. Quite how a software update can prevent pump gears failing is beyond me???
Sponsored