Sponsored

BMR 4-Point Chassis Brace Analysis & Review (CB006)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It is installed. I had some trouble lining up the passenger side A arm. It definitely helps turn in and the car feels like it has a real chassis under it.

I added the PP Ford bottom and top K braces along with this CB006 I also have Steeda IRS braces in the rear.

Not sure where to go next. probably rear A arm bearings, min drop springs and some dampers with more rebound control. With the solid chassis the stock springs are pretty good. Real flat in the turns but the struts and especially the rear shocks are junk.

Do I need an outside host to put up pics?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Installed
cb006.jpg

JeffJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
Sorry, I'm new here, but speaking of the BMR CB006 brace, and specifically speaking (as back on the first page) about another brace bending... Is it reasonable to assume none of these braces are supposed to bend? I only ask because, um...

mAu4MGd.jpg

...that doesn't look right to me. :-/

Also, what is that notch even for? I'm guessing there was a change between the 2017 (pictured) and 2018 which somehow necessitated the creation of that clearance to access something? Or maybe it's because with a different engine (this is an Ecoboost) or maybe with a different transmission (this is a manual) maybe the notch makes more sense? Whatever the case, I know I've seen many pictures of this brace without that notch, so it's definitely new(ish), and frankly, it seems to have introduced some weakness, although I'm certainly no expert, but I have to assume, if this was an uninterrupted piece of square steel, we wouldn't see the bend we see here, which is... well... disconcerting. This thing is supposed to reduce chassis flex, but if it can itself flex, then how can it prevent from the chassis from doing so?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
If its moving, its not doing its job
It looks like there was a bit of playing around in this thread. Mr. 1969Shelby posted for a couple days and has not been seen for the last 4 years.

That's a particularly bad look.

JeffJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I found this thread by searching "BMR CB006 bent". Google picked up the comment on the first page about that other brace. Ironic that use of word "bend" was in reference to that brace, not this one, but nevertheless, the keywords matched, so here I am. Again, sorry to resurrect a conversation which winded down awhile ago, but this really seemed the most appropriate place to ask about my issue.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I have the same brace as you without the notch. It hasn't bent, but it hasn't been on for long. My guess is that either the V8 or auto transmission needs it to clear a drain plug, but if you've got an Ecoboost manual, it's no issue. Yours is clearly bent and it's because of the notch. If they want the notch, then they need to reinforce the back side significantly.

JeffJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
BMR responded to my email inquiry and said, "the brace ties the lower control mounts to the K-member, effectively reducing deflection when fore, aft, and lateral loads are applied to the chassis." (Also, the notch is for oil drain plug access on a GT.) They did not respond to my followup email asking why the bar was clearly bent in this photo.

I remain skeptical. In order to effectively reduce deflection, the brace would need to, itself, not deflect. Given that it's clearly capable of bending, then it seems to me, the components it's connected to - lower control mounts and K-members - could move however road conditions force them to, while this brace warps to accommodate those new positions as they occur.

I'm going to fall back again on my earlier assertion that I'm not an expert, and so I am asking in earnest, with genuine curiosity, and a willingness to improve my understanding of what's going on here, please, can anyone tell me how that's not true? Why this bend shouldn't bother me? Why it didn't seem to bother BMR support?

Last edited:

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
BMR responded to my email inquiry and said, "the brace ties the lower control mounts to the K-member, effectively reducing deflection when fore, aft, and lateral loads are applied to the chassis." (Also, the notch is for oil drain plug access on a GT.) They did not respond to my followup email asking why the bar was clearly bent in this photo.

I remain skeptical. In order to effectively reduce deflection, the brace would need to, itself, not deflect. Given that it's clearly capable of bending, then it seems to me, the components it's connected to - lower control mounts and K-members - could move however road conditions force them to, while this brace warps to accommodate those new positions as they occur.

I'm going to fall back again on my earlier assertion that I'm not an expert, and so I am asking in earnest, with genuine curiosity, and a willingness to improve my understanding of what's going on here, please, can anyone tell me how that's not true? Why this bend shouldn't bother me? Why it didn't seem to bother BMR support?
I am not one to over-complicate or over-analyze things so forgive me for asking such a basic question here:

Was the brace that shape before you installed it, or did this "bending" happen after installation? Whatever your answer may be, do you have proof to share?

That kind of matters. I am not sure if you are aware of the capabilities of heat during a welding/fabrication process. It can warp/bend the best of things.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That kind of matters. I am not sure if you are aware of the capabilities of heat during a welding/fabrication process. It can warp/bend the best of things.
true but that'swhy you design your jig and welding order to minimize. It's one thing if it's slightly sprung. Bent is something else.

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
true but that'swhy you design your jig and welding order to minimize. It's one thing if it's slightly sprung. Bent is something else.
Are you a fabricator? Care to share some fixtures you have built with finished product?

Are you designing your fixtures and welding the parts in order to prevent heat draw, or are you doing it to ensure the product fits the intended application?

What is stronger, a tube that is heated and anneals in a natural position, or a tube that is heated and anneals in a fixed non-natural position?

Are you able to weld a plate to a tube like the image shows and not have it draw, with proper penetration?

Thanks

JeffJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Was the brace that shape before you installed it, or did this "bending" happen after installation? Whatever your answer may be, do you have proof to share?
Thank you. That's an excellent question, and I should've mentioned sooner, this picture was taken minutes after the brace was installed. I had to assume the bend either occurred during installation or during shipping (although now, to your point I hadn't considered, maybe during manufacture). I didn't see the bend prior to installation because I never looked at the brace from this angle. Only once it was on the car did I notice, but it could've come out of the box this way (in fact, in hindsight, it would have to have, right? Because how could we bend this during install?). I was still worried because regardless of whether it occurred during installation or shipping (or perhaps even during warehouse storage) the fact remained, it bent at all, so it might again. However, if the bend occurred during the heat of production, I suppose that would be somewhat reassuring, in so much that it would mean the brace won't bend additionally now, nor allow my chassis to flex around it, but again, I hadn't considered that, so thanks for mentioning it.

(However, that being the good answer I'm considering it to be, why didn't BMR mention it? Their response ignored the presence of the bend at all.)

Last edited:

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
My pleasure.

I have dabbled a little here and there over the years in that industry so just trying to help.

If it was heat draw from the production process, I would not worry a single ounce about it Jeff.

If it bent putting it on, I would return it. lol

I assume the BMR folks likely knew it was from heat draw by looking at the image.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That notch bugs the crap out of me also. I am a fabricator. It does appear to be properly gusseted and the one I have on my car has not bent in service. I have no idea if it flexes under hard cornering or braking, I tend to think it does not.

I have a 17 and the notch is not needed for oil draining. I wish BMR offered a version without the cutout, or made it out of chrome moly tubing.
Sponsored